Kraton Kraton EXB with Spektrum 8s Electronics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer

🦄💩
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Voltage
I ended up with two Kraton EXBs and decided to build one up using the standard 6s motor and MAX6 ESC and for the other one I decided to use takeoff electronics from an 8s Kraton.

I shimmed all my diffs per my post in one of the EXB diff threads - in summary, the rear is now shimmed to the higher end of 0.7-0.8 mm..

One difference in my build is that I used PPS' motor mount after discovering that they are right in my back yard (close enough :cool:) and so I ordered their mount and diff mount and they took a day to arrive after shipping.

This thing is a work of art!

yrxkLmL.jpg

23QW2Cx.jpg

JOwZ12K.jpg

Made it so easy to adjust the mesh - what a shame that it will mostly be one and done.

All together with the Firma 160 ESC and 1250Kv motor:

u2yt20d.jpg

She is a thing of beauty!

iEIkSB2.jpg

Even on 6s with a 20T pinion, there is so much torque - it will pull wheelies on command and definitely requires a gentle touch to keep in control.

Last edited:
I ended up with two Kraton EXBs and decided to build one up using the standard 6s motor and MAX6 ESC and for the other one I decided to use takeoff electronics from an 8s Kraton.

I shimmed all my diffs per my post in one of the EXB diff threads - in summary, the rear is now shimmed to the higher end of 0.7-0.8 mm..

One difference in my build is that I used PPS' motor mount after discovering that they are right in my back yard (close enough :cool:) and so I ordered their mount and diff mount and they took a day to arrive after shipping.

This thing is a work of art!

yrxkLmL.jpg

23QW2Cx.jpg

JOwZ12K.jpg

Made it so easy to adjust the mesh - what a shame that it will mostly be one and done.

All together with the Firma 160 ESC and 1250Kv motor:

u2yt20d.jpg

She is a thing of beauty!

iEIkSB2.jpg

Even on 6s with a 20T pinion, there is so much torque - it will pull wheelies on command and definitely requires a gentle touch to keep in control.
Did you tape the body where the fan hits?

Did you tape the body where the fan hits?

@jondilly1974 - I sprayed truck bed liner on the inside of my body - right now it barely touches the body. I actually didn't notice that it did (until you mentioned it) as the body went on the posts just fine and there was no bulging of the body from any significant interference.

lxmglut.jpg

I guess I'll leave it be for now ... famous last words. :p

What size pinion are you running in yours? I suppose that could have an effect on how far out the motor extends.

@jondilly1974 - I sprayed truck bed liner on the inside of my body - right now it barely touches the body. I actually didn't notice that it did (until you mentioned it) as the body went on the posts just fine and there was no bulging of the body from any significant interference.

lxmglut.jpg

I guess I'll leave it be for now ... famous last words. :p

What size pinion are you running in yours? I suppose that could have an effect on how far out the motor extends.
I was just going to ask the same. I am now running an 18T, but I started with a 20T then a 21T. Shredded both of them. Temps were getting hot too. Decided to gear back down and put the K8S heatsink back on. I have mine turned so the open side is towards the outside. I also decided to use M3 screws in the motor plate so I could turn the motor connections towards the outside too. I will likely pull off the motor plate and drill and tap those holes to M4 soon. I want to see how much better the K8S heatsink and fan work over my 3D printed fan mount.
Also, I couldn’t fit the roll bar back on with the current setup. I’m going to have to trim a few fins off the heatsink to get it back on.

I was just going to ask the same. I am now running an 18T, but I started with a 20T then a 21T. Shredded both of them. Temps were getting hot too. Decided to gear back down and put the K8S heatsink back on. I have mine turned so the open side is towards the outside. I also decided to use M3 screws in the motor plate so I could turn the motor connections towards the outside too. I will likely pull off the motor plate and drill and tap those holes to M4 soon. I want to see how much better the K8S heatsink and fan work over my 3D printed fan mount.
Also, I couldn’t fit the roll bar back on with the current setup. I’m going to have to trim a few fins off the heatsink to get it back on.

OK - I'm running at 20T right now.

With mine oriented the way it is, all I had to do was cut a little bit of the edge of the plastic side skirt so that everything would fit in. The roll bar also fits perfectly as well with no issue fitting the pin and clip.

OK - I'm running at 20T right now.

With mine oriented the way it is, all I had to do was cut a little bit of the edge of the plastic side skirt so that everything would fit in. The roll bar also fits perfectly as well with no issue fitting the pin and clip.
Yeah my 1717 has wires blocking me from orienting it the same as yours. I could resolder them in another direction to fix the issue tho ?

I know this is an old thread but did you ever end up ha I g good luck with the kraton exb with 8s system? I just got one and am experimenting with it

CBBD7666-5222-4747-A6CB-A5EF4F4A10E3.jpeg

BC46E663-0E20-47B0-BDE6-A02A317F6624.jpeg

I know this is an old thread but did you ever end up ha I g good luck with the kraton exb with 8s system? I just got one and am experimenting with it
So looking at the fan clearance in the pic from @Engineer , how are you making clearance for what looks like at least twice as tall a fan?

It’s actually not bad the body just fits.
The heat sink had to be trimmed a little to make the gear mesh right but it’s a pretty nice fit I think.

Resurrecting an older thread, I just picked up a new Kraton EXB Chassis, and was wondering if ARRMA, has addressed the diff issue, and that shimming is still required.

Also, just picked up an 8s ESC, and 1250 kV motor parted off an 8s RTR Kraton (thanks to Jenny's), and was wondering how durable the chassis and components are using the 8s system with an 18 tooth pinion. I mainly run it on grass, with no crazy jumps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back