Kraton Kraton Front Diff Went Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1980mac

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi All,

My front diff went out, can I take the broken gears our of it, connect the dog bones back up, and run it in 2 wheel drive until I get a new one?

Not unless you lock the center diff. All the power will just dump or the front output of the CD, and after a minute or two the center diff will begin to melt down and destroy itself.

Not unless you lock the center diff. All the power will just dump or the front output of the CD, and after a minute or two the center diff will begin to melt down and destroy itself.

Goodness. I wish they were all positrack.

@schoeds How would one lock the center diff? Technically, couldn't it somehow be bypassed?

You can lock the center diff with silly putty, or hot glue. Both are easily reversible and would allow you to run 2wd.

You can lock the center diff with silly putty, or hot glue. Both are easily reversible and would allow you to run 2wd.

I've heard about doing silly putty, but not hot glue, interesting.

So if I did the hot glue in the center diff, and I got my new front diff installed, would the car drive the same as if I were to put 1,000,000 CST diff oil in the center diff?

I've heard about doing silly putty, but not hot glue, interesting.

So if I did the hot glue in the center diff, and I got my new front diff installed, would the car drive the same as if I were to put 1,000,000 CST diff oil in the center diff?

Probably pretty close to the same feeling, but the million CST would offer a slight cushion for the drive train.

Probably pretty close to the same feeling, but the million CST would offer a slight cushion for the drive train.

Gotcha. For now, if I want to drive it, I'm thinking fully locking the center would be the best approach (since I don't have new gaskets). So if I did hot glue, would the all the spider gears just have to come out permanently?

Gotcha. For now, if I want to drive it, I'm thinking fully locking the center would be the best approach (since I don't have new gaskets). So if I did hot glue, would the all the spider gears just have to come out permanently?

Naw, the gears stay in. The glue goes in and around them just like diff fluid would.

Naw, the gears stay in. The glue goes in and around them just like diff fluid would.

Ah, gotcha. So just take it apart and clean it, put each side back together, glue them independently, and then put it back together? I can't find a good video for doing this on the Kraton or any Arrma center diff for that matter.

Ah, gotcha. So just take it apart and clean it, put each side back together, glue them independently, and then put it back together? I can't find a good video for doing this on the Kraton or any Arrma center diff for that matter.

I've never done it, so I'm only passing on what I've seen. I would clean off all the old oil with brake cleaner, reassemble everything and squirt the glue into the four corners of the diff, between the gears. Then one more dollop right on top before screwing the spur gear on.

Edit- You might want a small glob in the bottom before you drop the satellite gears into the case. You'll have to move quickly though.

I am thinking the idea is to fill the diff with hot glue, with all the gears in there. That way nothing can move on the inside. Then just peel it all out of there once you get the new parts. Side note, I used 500k in my center diff, and it's not even close to locked.

Here's a decent vid...

@schoeds Well, the first attempt at hot gluing the center diff was a fail. Just didn't hold long. Took it apart, filled it up with tire glue, and it's doesn't move! The trick is to not glue the housing to the gears. :) I also got my new front diff today and put it in as well.

Locking the center diff makes the car just absolutely nutty. I want to go up to a 16T pinion gear. I barely touch the throttle and my wheelie bar just can't contain the torque!

Last edited:
@schoeds Well, the first attempt at hot gluing the center diff was a fail. Just didn't hold long. Took it apart, filled it up with tire glue, and it's doesn't move! The trick is to not glue the housing to the gears. :) I also got my new front diff today and put it in as well.

Locking the center diff makes the car just absolutely nutty. I want to go up to a 16T pinion gear. I barely touch the throttle and my wheelie bar just can't contain the torque!
who needs the diff brain when you have hot glue hahaha!

Or if you can weld just do it fast and easy....sweet and lovely and funny and awesome handling on snow and lose ground i can post a pic when i get home tonite

Nero has diffbrain right so i don't see why it would be not good....imo its about personal preferences. And the diff cases and gears are not very expensive so if you have a spare and you like running very thick oil i say go ahead and lock it for real and try it out ;)

Nero has diffbrain right so i don't see why it would be not good....imo its about personal preferences. And the diff cases and gears are not very expensive so if you have a spare and you like running very thick oil i say go ahead and lock it for real and try it out ;)

@Trickelitrick Yup! You said it.

I like the setup so far, but feel the need for higher gearing so it's no squirrely. 14T is just way too low with this much power going strait to the front/rear diffs to be distributed. I do have Shockwaves on, so this is probably why it's all over the place.

I'd love to see them make a diffbrain model for the Kraton, that would be awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back