Kraton Kraton front end problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodentop

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
  4. Notorious
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
Ok guys so I have a v3 kraton I've been playing around with,the problem I cant get my head around is when I compress the front shocks they wont return they just sit there sagging,I've stripped and checked the shocks for bent shafts etc, last night I checked arm movement and adjusted the pillow balls to suit and all moved freely,on reassembly it was the same,would bent hinge pins give that symptom? Stretched springs? I'm stumped.

Can you post some pictures? It may help one of us identify the issue.

Ok guys so I have a v3 kraton I've been playing around with,the problem I cant get my head around is when I compress the front shocks they wont return they just sit there sagging,I've stripped and checked the shocks for bent shafts etc, last night I checked arm movement and adjusted the pillow balls to suit and all moved freely,on reassembly it was the same,would bent hinge pins give that symptom? Stretched springs? I'm stumped.
Stretched springs would give the opposite. They would have more force on rebound. Overly compressed springs would be weak. I’m wondering if you have the correct springs. Was this bought new?

Only time I can get a shock to not rebound is when I don't have any oil in them.

It has to be a binding issue. You said your shafts were straight, but have you opened the shock to make sure the disc on top of the shock shaft hasn't come loose? This would cause the shock shaft to travel on an angle and bind. Also check your fluid. If you have never opened the shocks up, you might be surprised how that oil turns to sludge over time. For the springs to not lift the truck at all, the binding must be pretty severe. Bent upper or lower suspension pins could also be factors, and make sure your drive shafts are sitting properly in the dif out drives.

Not new no checked all dimensions on stock springs and they're the same
Only time I can get a shock to not rebound is when I don't have any oil in them.
It has to be a binding issue. You said your shafts were straight, but have you opened the shock to make sure the disc on top of the shock shaft hasn't come loose? This would cause the shock shaft to travel on an angle and bind. Also check your fluid. If you have never opened the shocks up, you might be surprised how that oil turns to sludge over time. For the springs to not lift the truck at all, the binding must be pretty severe. Bent upper or lower suspension pins could also be factors, and make sure your drive shafts are sitting properly in the dif out drives.
I've completely stripped all shocks checked pistons,o rings shafts even put a lighter fluid in to see if that helps but nothing, they compress/rebound perfectly when off the truck.
Edit...
Drive shafts are fine yeah, sitting in cups perfectly,suspension pins I will check after work and also post a couple of pictures also.

Last edited:
With the shocks off, remove the tires and move the arms up and down fully assembled on the truck to see if you have binding. Could be something as simple as the pillow ball caps are too tight, assuming this is the 6S truck.

I know you mentioned you checked that, but it's still pretty easy to get them too snug.

With the shocks off, remove the tires and move the arms up and down fully assembled on the truck to see if you have binding. Could be something as simple as the pillow ball caps are too tight, assuming this is the 6S truck.

I know you mentioned you checked that, but it's still pretty easy to get them too snug.
Last night I did what you said here and Re did it a few times because as you say it's the most obvious thing.
Here are some pics first one normal ride height
Second one compressed by hand and sagging (no rebound)
Third one is just a close up trying to keep the shock socks out of the way.

Attachments

• 20191030_171753.jpg
    20191030_171753.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 20191030_171821.jpg
    20191030_171821.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 20191030_171844.jpg
    20191030_171844.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 115
The shocks look short to me, What is the overall length of the shock eye to eye when not compressed?

Last night I did what you said here and Re did it a few times because as you say it's the most obvious thing.
Here are some pics first one normal ride height
Second one compressed by hand and sagging (no rebound)
Third one is just a close up trying to keep the shock socks out of the way.
What's with those shock socks. They don't work that way i think. Maybe they are binding your springs?

Did you check the sway bars, they can get stuck.
Something has to bind.
I thought I checked and rechecked everything but I agree 100% something has to be binding somewhere,I will do another full front end strip and photograph/report what I find,got me stumped this one has.

So just as all of you said,it was a binding issue!! Thanks a million guys I really appreciate it, after another full and meticulous strip down it was the plastic c clips binding on the upper arm pins I swapped them out to washers and its solved the problem,because I was getting blindsided convinced it was the pillowballs I overlooked this but it is 100% better now it still doesn't return as fast as I would like,will stiffer springs solve that issue?
Once again many thanks.

Adjust your spring preload.. put more tension on the springs.. one thing I noticed in your pictures is the spanner collars for the spring preload are not set the same.. this will promote sag as well... the right side shock collars look like they are several turns higher on the body than the left...

Keep adding preload until it rebounds the way you like..

Adjust your spring preload.. put more tension on the springs.. one thing I noticed in your pictures is the spanner collars for the spring preload are not set the same.. this will promote sag as well... the right side shock collars look like they are several turns higher on the body than the left...

Keep adding preload until it rebounds the way you like..
I messed around with it last night and the only way I could get what I liked was when the preload was wound right down with no adjustment remaining,ideally I'd like preload half way with what I want so I can get more adjustment if needed (differing terrain etc) any ideas?

Just so we are on the same page, what is your ideal rebound? Are you looking for a shock that returns full stroke?

These trucks are heavy man.. they are designed with sag in the suspension for a reason to help maintain control on very uneven terrain while maintaining a "somewhat" level chassis..

if the full stroke rebound is what your after you will need to increase your spring rates.. keep in mind, your more likely to break things at a full rebound because the suspension is full stroke.. it will also take alot of the drivability (maintaining a line) out of it.. it could potentially become a pogo stick on wheels...
Also when setting your preload use your calipers to be sure the distance is the same L to R

I think because I'm so anal and my OCD starts going berserk I'm always after things that maybe either are not there or are unobtainable,I was adamant that I wanted the full stroke of the shock but..... now you have explained that to me I completely see that what I have now is "normal" they were binding no doubt about that and are a million percent better,but now I'll adjust the preload and leave as is.
Thanks much, appreciate it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back