Kraton Kraton Gear Mesh Busting Pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Success LiPo

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ok so after busting a million Pinion Gears, I decided to check the center diff and it seems that there is a lot of play between the bearings where it spins. The one bearing is housed in the red aluminum but the other is in a very flexible black plastic situation.
Question 1: I'm wondering if there is an upgrade for this plastic housing or if it is important that there be some flex.

Question 2: I will be installing a new diff and bearings and I am wondering how to "shim" a kraton Diff. From what I hear, that's a thing and can prolong the life.

Question 3: Does the center diff always seem a little loose and did I possible over react by thinking this was the cause of my pinon shredding issue. It would seem to me that the spur gear should not wiggle side to side at all

Hot racing makes an aluminum center diff mount. I have them in all my Arrmas. You are correct, there shouldn't be any play in center diff.

Answer 1: Some people have noticed the aluminum diff mount causing more problems than it is worth, but some people have installed it and been happy. Search "aluminum center diff mount" and you will find the answers you are looking for. I decided to leave the plastic one as it is not causing any issues for me.

Answer 2:

Answer 3: The spur gear should not wiggle side to side at all

I use HR diff mount with fast eddie bearings. Using 6s 14t. The only issue i have had are the 4 screws holding the center diff together coming loose. Which i will be getting HR diff carrier to fix.

Last edited:
I had an issue with the HR Center Dif Mount, but it WAS MY FALUT. I did not properly seat the bearing, so the bearing blew up on me. Then I go new bearings, and did it the right way. No problems since.

Ok so after busting a million Pinion Gears, I decided to check the center diff and it seems that there is a lot of play between the bearings where it spins. The one bearing is housed in the red aluminum but the other is in a very flexible black plastic situation.
Question 1: I'm wondering if there is an upgrade for this plastic housing or if it is important that there be some flex.

Question 2: I will be installing a new diff and bearings and I am wondering how to "shim" a kraton Diff. From what I hear, that's a thing and can prolong the life.

Question 3: Does the center diff always seem a little loose and did I possible over react by thinking this was the cause of my pinon shredding issue. It would seem to me that the spur gear should not wiggle side to side at all
If you don't have the proper mesh between the spur gear and the pinion things like this will happen, ask me how I know......lol. I use the paper method to set mine and it works great, not a problem yet. I take a piece of notebook paper and cut a strip about a quarter inch wide and about an inch and a half long. Place it in between the pinion and spur, then push the pinion snug into the spur and tighten down motor. Spin spur to remove paper and you should have the proper mesh. Hope this helps.

I had a bad bearing on the motor shaft outer bearing was toast had a lot of play . Replaced and never had another problem .

I had a bad bearing on the motor shaft outer bearing was toast had a lot of play . Replaced and never had another problem .

Yeah I'm starting to think my motor bearing might be shot. I was gonna buy a whole new motor but how do I find a bearing? I already bought a replacement center diff and spur from a hobbyshop that just took it out of a new Kraton. I though maybe the spur was the issue because it was wiggling a bit.

I removed bearing and used the numbers off or to order a new set . Arrma does not have them available . I have had no trouble since I had side to side shaft movement before, now it is nice and tight . This is what I used so far so good.

IMG_1133.PNG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back