Kraton Grub Screw Backed Out - Thread Lock Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipSchitz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi all,

After only 3 packs, my new Kraton's grub screw backed out of my pinion and took a bite out of my motor mount. Luckily, I don't see any major structural damage even though I didn't notice until the end of the run.

My question is, what kind of thread lock is recommended? I didnt see any specifications in the manual.

Thanks,

FlipSchitz

Hi all,

After only 3 packs, my new Kraton's grub screw backed out of my pinion and took a bite out of my motor mount. Luckily, I don't see any major structural damage even though I didn't notice until the end of the run.

My question is, what kind of thread lock is recommended? I didnt see any specifications in the manual.

Thanks,

FlipSchitz
Blue or medium strength will do fine, as long as you give it some time to cure. Really surprised to hear yours came out. Most people's are welded in with Red (strong) loctitie from the factory

Blue or medium strength will do fine, as long as you give it some time to cure. Really surprised to hear yours came out. Most people's are welded in with Red (strong) loctitie from the factory
I know right?! I finished my run and nothing was out of the ordinary - it ran and sounded fine. I didn't bring my temp gun, but noticed that the motor was fairly hot to the touch (not sure if that was a factor) after the run. A few hours later I decided to set my endpoints and when I rolled the truck on my bench, it sounded funny. The pinion was barely hanging on the end of the shaft and could be pushed back and forth freely.

Thank you for your help,

FlipSchitz

Stock pinion on my kraton came loose too. But my typhon I had to heat up with a soldering iron. I agree with Notorious J, blue loctite with at least a few hours cure time. 24 hours would be ideal.

I just torqued mine off using brute force.. bent my allen driver but right before it was gonna strip it broke the loctite and was good.

I used superglue to put the new pinion on. Has held up for about 10 runs so far.

I like Zap and Bob Smith Industries, blue for both. Zap is runny Bob Smith is like a gel, though the bottle leaks so I leave that one on my bench.

Mine came out too (recently) after less than say 10 runs. It just loosened though and the pinion disengaged from the main gearvand slid back. Very lucky no damage to either gear

Looking at the end of the grub screw I could see very little loctite and it didn’t look to be red. They must have run out at the factory the day they assembled mine also. I used blue loctite when I reinstalled it. All good now

I would rather see less thread locker that too much, anyone that has an old arrma will remember how hard things were typ remove without stripping screws and damaging things. Heat would help, but can only do so much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back