(Kraton) inner diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauransx

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
I just got HR diff carrier cup or w/e and i have all the gears and such inside and shimmed, 1 on one side and two on the other (new) and they still move as if i can add two on both sides with enough play i guess. Is that normal or should i add two shims on both sides?

Last edited:
I would try 2 behind each satellite gear and examine closely. Total of 8. Its best to fit shims dry first, if you haven't. Before adding the diff oil. Easier to observe adequate backlash. IMO. It appears no two diff cups and satellite gears sets fit identical. Case by case basis. Personal observation and trial and error will usually dictate. If adding the 8 shims makes it bind or chatter/grind, then you know its too tight. Shim tolerance ever so slight can vary also. If you are using used gears it may be that you need the additional 2 shims due to normal wear on them. New gearsets may not necessarily require them.

Last edited:
I would try 2 behind each satellite gear and examine closely. Total of 8. Its best to fit shims dry first, if you haven't. Before adding the diff oil. Easier to observe adequate backlash. IMO. It appears no two diff cups and satellite gears sets fit identical. Case by case basis. Personal observation and trial and error will usually dictate. If adding the 8 shims makes it bind or chatter/grind, then you know its too tight. Shim tolerance ever so slight can vary also. If you are using used gears it may be that you need the additional 2 shims due to normal wear on them. New gearsets may not necessarily require them.
I kinda added the fluid after i posted... so i added the extra shim and it was snug but don't know if it was a good snug or bad, hard to tell with the fluid but i feel it was to tight... Gone back to 1/2 shimmed and with them pushed down it seems snug also but i know the fluid (500k) is effecting that.

The diff fluid will mask the actual backlash that you want to achieve. 1/2 may be the ticket. You wont know until you compare 2/2. But again hard to tell unless diff is dry. Or diff is mostly empty at best. I think most guys end up with 1/2.
But that's not always the rule, depending on whether the gears are new or used (broken in)
Are your gearsets new or used??
I will let others chime in.:)

I feel re-shimming a nice broken-in set of diff gears along with fresh fluid gives the most diff longeveity.

like @JvG stated, close the diff and check for binding.

Did, could not tell... I think the issue was when i was turning the gears, the slides were coming out a lil which gave it that loose play i was talking about. While dry and screwed in, i could not tell which was better or worse, loose or tight.

You want it on the tight side
Sorry, i mean when you put the diff in the cup and then turn them while its open and doing so the slides will slide out when you turn the shaft cups side

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back