Kraton Kraton Motor/ESC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
Guys! I need some help. I'm trying to plan out my electronics for a kraton 8s build and I want to go with a tp motor. I was considering using an mmx8s and tp 5670 1270kv but I'm not sure if an mmx8s is enough for that motor or if I should just drop down to a tp 5660. Anyone have any input? =D

MMX8s struggled with heat in my K8s

Edit: this was when the MMX8s first came out and the XLX2 wasn’t available yet.. The XLX2 has since proven to be very reliable in my experience.

Last edited:
^^^ Many others have said the same.. True.
8s rigs are heavy. ( 30'ish pounds is no joke).
Need better amp overhead with the XLX2, using a low KV motor.

Damn you guys are breaking my heart, I didn't want to pay for the big boy but I guess I have no choice.

Sensored 1/5th scale is here! Pairing the Mamba XLX2 with the Castle 4-POLE 12-SLOT SENSORED 2028-800KV or the 2028-1100KV will allow heavy, high speed rigs to experience controllable low-end ranges without sacrificing power, punch or speed. SmartSense™ mode uses the motor’s sensors to start the motor to provide smooth starts, excellent torque, and low-speed drivability. Once the motor is spinning, it seamlessly transitions to Castle’s ultra-efficient sensorless mode. You’ll put more power to the ground, where it should be, instead of wasting it through raw heat and RPMs.

800 or 1100 motor, is 800 always better or is there a reason to choose 1100 depending on driving style?

Sensored 1/5th scale is here! Pairing the Mamba XLX2 with the Castle 4-POLE 12-SLOT SENSORED 2028-800KV or the 2028-1100KV will allow heavy, high speed rigs to experience controllable low-end ranges without sacrificing power, punch or speed. SmartSense™ mode uses the motor’s sensors to start the motor to provide smooth starts, excellent torque, and low-speed drivability. Once the motor is spinning, it seamlessly transitions to Castle’s ultra-efficient sensorless mode. You’ll put more power to the ground, where it should be, instead of wasting it through raw heat and RPMs.

800 or 1100 motor, is 800 always better or is there a reason to choose 1100 depending on driving style?
Higher kv going to get you more top end speed, lower kv will require bigger pinion.

I went with max5 1100 kv hobbyeing combo in my outcast 8s and it makes unbelievable power, I think not matching esc output to can size anmotor requirements plays a big part in why a lot of set up’s seek to underperform expectations. I think the max5 would run the castle 1100 better then the 8s. If you want to run castle go with the xlx2

I’ve got an xlx2 with an 1100kv for my exb K8S. Trying to decide on a different set up for the roller Outcast I picked up.

Depends on setup..I only speedrun anymore...I've got 2×5660s an the 5670 1270kv. For tall gearing definitely need xlx2.for basic bashing could gear to work...the xlx2 is well worth the extra 50$$....I've run my mmx8s with 5660s into the 130s.did burn 1 mmx8s up thou.
The 56mm motors have sooo much torque
Higher kv going to get you more top end speed, lower kv will require bigger pinion.
Are you doing a 1/5,1/8 kraton???higher kv also requires more power,more heat.if ya don't plan on going over 80 then I'd go 100ish kv..go to calculator pick the setup your gonna run an it'll give ya an idea. Gears are better than having a system that overheats easy.

Last edited:
Heres my kraton chassised speedcar with mmx8s an tp5660-1356kv. I keep an eye on logs an don't push much over 325amps.the torque compared to any 40mm is night an day.these motors weight double most 40mm..wouldn't addvise jumping much

16424794875244756889052194538735.jpg

Depends on setup..I only speedrun anymore...I've got 2×5660s an the 5670 1270kv. For tall gearing definitely need xlx2.for basic bashing could gear to work...the xlx2 is well worth the extra 50$$....I've run my mmx8s with 5660s into the 130s.did burn 1 mmx8s up thou.
The 56mm motors have sooo much torque

Are you doing a 1/5,1/8 kraton???higher kv also requires more power,more heat.if ya don't plan on going over 80 then I'd go 100ish kv..go to calculator pick the setup your gonna run an it'll give ya an idea. Gears are better than having a system that overheats easy.
I think I'm going to go with tp 5670 1270kv y wind, Max amps 300. Ima go ahead and spend the extra 50 for the xlx2. I didn't realize it was only 50 more, that's not bad at all. Just sucks I can't use ec5 with it. My current 4s batteries are ec5 and I have other rigs that use them. Gonna have to spend more money on batteries just for the kraton I guess.

I think I'm going to go with tp 5670 1270kv y wind, Max amps 300. Ima go ahead and spend the extra 50 for the xlx2. I didn't realize it was only 50 more, that's not bad at all. Just sucks I can't use ec5 with it. My current 4s batteries are ec5 and I have other rigs that use them. Gonna have to spend more money on batteries just for the kraton I guess.
Why can’t you use EC5 with XLX2?

Puts out more amps than a ec5 can safely handle.

I always get ec5 batteries. Swapping qs8 connectors to them I've found wouldn't be practical for me so I just made some qs8 to ec5 jumpers for my 4s batteries to connect to the xlx2 qs8s.
Ec5 good for 120amps constant. You could run it hard and check to see if the connections get hot. Heat is wasted power you could use. Worst case it melts and sparks up a fire.

Ec5 good for 120amps constant. You could run it hard and check to see if the connections get hot. Heat is wasted power you could use. Worst case it melts and sparks up a fire.
This is true. If I were running a speed run car where full throttle pulls constantly I would be concerned, where heat loss can result in a few mph lost and potential melting from the high constant amp draw from the batteries, but in a basher where I am off throttle alot thats not a worry for me. I have never had any problems with my connections. Full throttle pulls or not. If this does ever happen, I'll deal with it accordingly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back