Kraton Kraton mystery spacer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh for pete's sake. I just got done taking out all my diffs, shimming and replacing bearings. I thought that was the metal seal from the old bearings!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!! If this is a needed part why is it not in the exploded parts view with a part number? I'm very annoyed. Would you mind showing exactly where it is supposed to go?
CL I feel your pain, how many of these did you notice?

CL I feel your pain, how many of these did you notice?
I think i may have noticed 2. Not sure. I kept them with the old bearings in a bag. I will look and see what I find. Grrrrr! On a side note I noticed all that lube you slap all over the spur and diff housing. Would you say that's necessary or a preference?

I think i may have noticed 2. Not sure. I kept them with the old bearings in a bag. I will look and see what I find. Grrrrr! On a side note I noticed all that lube you slap all over the spur and diff housing. Would you say that's necessary or a preference?
I think thick coating on gear teeth is a good idea, l always find grease on the housing when they are new so I tried to stick with the same, but don't think housing rubs internally. You figure even with "low sling" properties that craps going to fling around somewhat.

It supports the outer race of the bearing and may be needed to set the gear lash as well. This video was posted on here by a member I believe.
You can skip to the very end to see where it goes.

It supports the outer race of the bearing and may be needed to set the gear lash as well. This video was posted on here by a member I believe.
You can skip to the very end to see where it goes.
Thanks for this post. What's funny is I'd watched the video before but forgot or missed that last spacer placement. I wonder with 4 Arrma rigs how many of those are living on my garage floor somewhere...Lol!!!

Thanks for this post. What's funny is I'd watched the video before but forgot or missed that last spacer placement. I wonder with 4 Arrma rigs how many of those are living on my garage floor somewhere...Lol!!!
You are very welcome Rich. Place is FULL of useful stuff!!!

This is the exact video i used to build all my diffs. Followed step by step. That little spacer I do not see in this vid and I only found one in my bag where I placed it with all my old bearings thinking it was a bearing shield. There were none stuck to any other bearings and none fell out upon removal. Call me confused.

Edit: OMG, Thomas put in on at the very end. I thought that was a stain on the napkin. Why do I only have one then!!! WTF! LOL!

That shim is the same as Tekno RC 13x16x.1mm Differential Shim #TKR1222

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tekno-rc-13x16x.1mm-differential-shim-10-tkr1222/p231848

Looks like I need to buy some of these. There is a piece of me that thinks ARRMA is not putting these on every single diff consistently. I only had one. Pretty sure the others did not fall off. At any rate, is the recommendation to add this spacer to every diff?

This is the exact video i used to build all my diffs. Followed step by step. That little spacer I do not see in this vid and I only found one in my bag where I placed it with all my old bearings thinking it was a bearing shield. There were none stuck to any other bearings and none fell out upon removal. Call me confused.
CL wonder if assemblers are only placing them subjectively when they feel they may be needed based on manufacturing tolerances. At this point I wouldn't worry too much. Not saying they aren't good to have, just can't see gears burning up over 0.1mm thick shim. Maybe I'm coming off as too casual, just personally not going to stress too much over it. When I did my own check, I couldn't find any slop with the shim out. I feel like my desire to push the limits and go big with these beasts is probably a bigger threat to these tough rigs overall.

CL wonder if assemblers are only placing them subjectively when they feel they may be needed based on manufacturing tolerances. At this point I wouldn't worry too much. Not saying they aren't good to have, just can't see gears burning up over 0.1mm thick shim. Maybe I'm coming off as too casual, just personally not going to stress too much over it. When I did my own check, I couldn't find any slop with the shim out. I feel like my desire to push the limits and go big with these beasts is probably a bigger threat to these tough rigs overall.
Lol, seems logical and good point. I messaged Thomas, the creator of that video to see what he has noticed regarding that "mystery spacer". He can verify they are on the outcast from the factory but he is not sure about the other Arrma's. He said these will work. PD1896 or dimension 16x13x0.1-.03

Last edited:
Lol, seems logical and good point. I messaged Thomas, the creator of that video to see what he has noticed regarding that "mystery spacer". He can verify they are on the outcast from the factory but he is not sure about the other Arrma's. He said these will work. PD1896 or dimension 16x13x0.1-.03
That was smart to check with Thomas. I am actually pretty meticulous and organized when I work on my RCs and am pretty darn sure they weren't on any of my other Arrma diffs. One thing that you pointed out though, if the shims belong on the diff bearing it really should be on the schematic!!!! It's absence was part of me saying f... it and not putting back to where I thought it fell off of. The manual leaves lots of us left to our own devices.

Wanted to add just finished putting 50k in front of Outcast, same shim/spacer found as fell off of new Kraton, this time looked straight. Took 3 tries to reset diff into housing as spacer is so thin and light kept wiggling off outside of bearing as I set diff in. Can't see in pic really but she's there.
IMG_20161214_094724534.jpg
IMG_20161214_094738034.jpg

I guess i need to get new mystery spacer lol
What the heck happened to that motor mount!? Looks like it got mauled by a Grizzly. I haven't found the mystery spacer in the center diff. Still need to swap rear diff fluids in both Outcast and Kraton, will look for it there before it falls to garage floor and dogs pee on it.

What the heck happened to that motor mount!? Looks like it got mauled by a Grizzly. I haven't found the mystery spacer in the center diff. Still need to swap rear diff fluids in both Outcast and Kraton, will look for it there before it falls to garage floor and dogs pee on it.
The 4 screws from the centerdiff have eaten their way in....and the bearing at rear on centerdiff is only a rubberseal left lol....however the screws are looking surprisingly healthy :p i think this is the mystery of the spacer :)

I want to believe the lost bearing is reason why the pinion gear has come lose so many times....

The 4 screws from the centerdiff have eaten their way in....and the bearing at rear on centerdiff is only a rubberseal left lol....however the screws are looking surprisingly healthy :p i think this is the mystery of the spacer :)

I want to believe the lost bearing is reason why the pinion gear has come lose so many times....
That would be my guess. Bad stuff happens when bearings crap out for sure. I need to order 2 Avid kits today. Your spur gear was probably flopping all over the place, that bearing was silently screaming to get put down and out of it's misery!

Well my spur gear is not so sharp anymore but it will run tonight....anf i got alot of sparkling metal dust inside (more bling hehe) so i tried to fix it today. Turned out 2 of my screws holding the motor mount was stuck so hard i broke a hex driver in two pieces and had to let my dragracing mechanic friend drill them out (that kind of surgery takes good tools and skills)...no harm done and soon as good and wild as ever before :p

Will post another horizontal pic of the mount when i get back home weee....

Well my spur gear is not so sharp anymore but it will run tonight....anf i got alot of sparkling metal dust inside (more bling hehe) so i tried to fix it today. Turned out 2 of my screws holding the motor mount was stuck so hard i broke a hex driver in two pieces and had to let my dragracing mechanic friend drill them out (that kind of surgery takes good tools and skills)...no harm done and soon as good and wild as ever before :p

Will post another horizontal pic of the mount when i get back home weee....
I tend to run my gears into the ground if they are still spinning with decent mesh, get my money's worth so to speak. PS on the subject or stripping hardware, breaking tools, and other thread lock/over torqued nightmares, finally sent a fairly detailed message/plea to Arrma Hobbico customer support, hopefully it doesn't fall on deaf ears. Good business sense to me would be to make these great rigs easier to work on and further encourage sales/brand loyalty. Hope someone tells the assembly elves. My guess is as demands have increased, the elves are probably getting pressured to speed up. I never rush applying thread locker! To me it's very exacting to do correctly.

Ok so now i had some fun....couldnt find my loctite but i thought wth and i went out and ran two packs...and kind of not surprised that the pinion gear got lose again since i removed it and put it back just before going out...so....this is what happened....not spending my money well atm

Awesome

Attachments

• 20161217_211637.jpg
    20161217_211637.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 20161217_183436.jpg
    20161217_183436.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20161217_183456.jpg
    20161217_183456.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 56
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back