Kraton Kraton of Theseus

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adiabatic

Doing it myself and doing myself in
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

In the metaphysics of identity, the Ship of Theseus is a thought experiment that raises the question of whether an object that has had all of its components replaced remains fundamentally the same object.

This will be less of a build log and more of a 'how long will it take me to end up replacing every component of this thing' record. Will it still be the same truck? I guess only philosophers can answer that.

Upgrades added:

EXB Front Bumper
EXB Front Upper Arm Mount/Pins
EXB Front Chassis Brace
Steering Post Bearings
EXB Servo Mount
HR Centre Diff Lower Mount
Arrma Aluminum Centre Diff Case
EXB Rear Chassis Brace
Arrma Motor Heatsink
Arrma Motor Fan
Rear Mud Guards
Arrma Steel Rear Skid Plate
Arrma Wheelie Bar
Pro-Line Dumont Paddle Tires/Rims

What has been replaced so far:

kraton_of_theseus_008.jpg

Current state:

kraton_of_theseus_001.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_002.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_003.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_004.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_005.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_006.jpg
kraton_of_theseus_007.jpg

Guess I should update my non-build thread/breakage log.

Broken parts pile is growing in size, but still mostly the same components and therefore no need to think too hard about whether it's the same truck. For the moment I'm satisfied in claiming definitively that it is.

Most of the upgrades listed in the original post are still there, with the exception of the mudguards which I forgot to put back on, plastic fan which predictably broke while jumping, aluminum centre diff case which suffered an abrasive demise, and the paddle tires since I have the summers on. Only noteworthy addition is a high-speed aluminum motor fan which for the moment seems to have solved my heating issues. Changed the diff oil to 20k/100k/10k F/C/R in an effort to improve handling, but I think it still needs some tweaking, and I'm not really sold on these Copperhead tires which I think are the main source of its handling woes on loose surfaces. Backflips or Badlands?

2022-07-25_kraton_00.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_01.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_02.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_03.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_04.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_05.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_06.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_07.jpg
2022-07-25_kraton_08.jpg

Guess I should update my non-build thread/breakage log.

Broken parts pile is growing in size, but still mostly the same components and therefore no need to think too hard about whether it's the same truck. For the moment I'm satisfied in claiming definitively that it is.

Most of the upgrades listed in the original post are still there, with the exception of the mudguards which I forgot to put back on, plastic fan which predictably broke while jumping, aluminum centre diff case which suffered an abrasive demise, and the paddle tires since I have the summers on. Only noteworthy addition is a high-speed aluminum motor fan which for the moment seems to have solved my heating issues. Changed the diff oil to 20k/100k/10k F/C/R in an effort to improve handling, but I think it still needs some tweaking, and I'm not really sold on these Copperhead tires which I think are the main source of its handling woes on loose surfaces. Backflips or Badlands?

View attachment 231926View attachment 231928View attachment 231929View attachment 231930View attachment 231931View attachment 231932View attachment 231933View attachment 231934View attachment 231935
Backflips, got the LP’s on my Talion XL and the 8s ones on my K8, both handle great on grass and gravel, but I only have 4 battery packs on them.

Backflips, got the LP’s on my Talion XL and the 8s ones on my K8, both handle great on grass and gravel, but I only have 4 battery packs on them.

Appreciate the input. Was leaning toward a set of Backflips from JRC, but also considering the LPs.

Copperheads seem to be designed for versatility, capable of running on many types of terrain from street to grass to dirt, but with mediocre performance on all. I want something that will hook up better on dirt and gravel especially. Had Badlands on previous cars and they worked great, but Backflips have a similar tread and can be had for much cheaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back