Kraton Kraton or Nero....getting back in the game after 25+ years

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atamagashock

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here. Looking to get back into the world of RCs after about 25 years. My last new RC was a Tamiya Astute back in 1989. I still have it to this day. Anyway I've been going back and forth between the kraton and the Nero or Big Rock. The big rock is last on my list, only because I'm not sure I wanna jump back in spending over $800 on the truck, charger, and batteries. Just curious what you guys think of the two, and which you would recommend? I'm sure more will say the kraton since I'm posting this here. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the two. What you do or don't like about both. Thanks for any help---Greg

From what I've seen, the Nero is good, just over-complicated (if you need to work on it). The Kraton is easy to work on and is a tank.

Welcome back ! I still have and use my tamiya super hornet and stadium thunder... Great old cars :-D
I'll say grab a kraton.... Theyre alot of fun and very easy to look after. My typhon is awesome... But my kraton is just that little bit more fun... And takes a beating well :-D

Hi Greg,
If you want easy maintenance -> Kraton
I have the Nero Big Rock but it´s a heavy truck if you see it beside the Kraton.
Also it is more complicated to maintain this truck.
On the other hand....the Nero / Big Rock is very impressive on 6S and I love it.
Since I bought the Nero, all of my other RC-Cars keeping dust in the shelf...
Also my girlfriend has a "blue" Nero and two of my colleagues.. It´s really fun if you see four of these powerful trucks destroy the garden! ;)
We driving stock pinion gear, girlfriend and colleagues are mostly using 4S. (we have not large "playgrounds" here in this area of Germany)

But the main problem are the wheels / tires on both cars. The most of 1:8 tires are not belted and ballooning like hell on 6S.
An other point are diff brain. If you don´t need it again -> Kraton.
I would not miss that on my Nero, I like to turn a switch and the car has an total different character.
But you have to take care with the locking pins, they are a little weak.

Basically I see the Nero not as an brutal bashing car. OK, it takes a lot and you can make "soft bashing".
But for hard bashing I would like to suggest the Kraton. For all others -> Nero in all of its shapes with diff brain! (Fazon, Big Rock)

Btw. one of my early RC´s was also the Astute, but Kraton and specially the Nero family are a total different league!

Regards and welcome back to RC!
lonee

Thanks for the input! I'm curious to see what people would say if i posted this in the Nero section

KRATON – No Question.

You are just returning to a hobby that has advanced tremendously over the past 30 years. I remember putting together my Tamiya BlackFoot, and setting up ramps so it could basically drop 12 inches onto the grass. Now I build ramps or find places to jump 20 feet high and distances well over 50ft.

My point being, since you are new again to the hobby, a car with less moving parts that is easier to work on will suit you better. There are a ton of upgrades that can be done to it, easily. And it’s a beast out of the box. My suggestions are to order the Kraton, then read as many of the threads on this site as possible before it arrives. As you do, keep a list of what you want to get for it. And order some of it, before you get the car. Like an aluminum servo mount, GKA, Voltage, and Hot Racing all make them. And there is a cheaper DIY version of the servo mount too. That way you can run the car, get used to what it is.

I though the NERO was going to be the end all to bashers, but turns out there just may be too much going on in that truck for it’s own good.

Good advice. Even though I personally haven't owned anything in decades, my dad has the losi LST xxl2e. so I have some time behind the trigger on that truck. Also I'm no stranger to building or working on stuff. So I will have no issues as far as that's concerned. With that said, I don't want to spend all my time working on it. I'd rather be running it, rather than fixing stuff. So I appreciate all the input. I am starting to steer clear of the Nero. I really like the outcast, but I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the short wheelbase, leading to a straight up stunt truck. I'd like to be in-between the two, do I guess that's what the kraton is all about

If you want a really great handling, fast, tough, jumper that's easy to work on and has TONS of upgrades available...................K R A T O N.

In fact I gotta say, my kraton may be the best handling rc I've driven. It's not that it turns sharper or has that knife edge quick feel of a buggy. It's that it is super stable and predictable. It just does exactly what I want it to with no "twichyness". Its very easy to drive smoothly with the kraton.....it makes you look like a great driver. Lol

Last edited:
Kraton all they way . The Nero battery trays are a killer only allow you to run 2 packs in series . I personally only like one pack systems . Kraton is super simple to work on and just a beast over all. Buy a roller on eBay there is a few on there I just got one my self. All the parts are cheap for these vehicles.

Hey guys, I'm new here. Looking to get back into the world of RCs after about 25 years. My last new RC was a Tamiya Astute back in 1989. I still have it to this day. Anyway I've been going back and forth between the kraton and the Nero or Big Rock. The big rock is last on my list, only because I'm not sure I wanna jump back in spending over $800 on the truck, charger, and batteries. Just curious what you guys think of the two, and which you would recommend? I'm sure more will say the kraton since I'm posting this here. Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on the two. What you do or don't like about both. Thanks for any help---Greg
Welcome back bud, I too had a similar RC layoff. Kraton all the way.
4DF12ECA09FA5AD62C3542FFB62131B7.jpg

EPIC Rich Duperbash! I saw that video on you tube. That bash session was you in beast mode. Everyone on the forums should subscribe to Rich Duperbash on YouTube. Great channel.

EPIC Rich Duperbash! I saw that video on you tube. That bash session was you in beast mode. Everyone on the forums should subscribe to Rich Duperbash on YouTube. Great channel.
Thanks man, appreciate that. ARRMA TOUGH all the way bro!!! That session was sick fun no doubt.

Senton ..... we don't have any of the problems the other trucks have....it's the most underrated truck that they produce and it's a tank it is a slash on steroids I can't believe not more people talk about it I think everyone just likes the big monster truck whereas the Senton is big and it's own right at 18 scale that's just my opinion I looked at the rest of them I like to Senton I myself just got back into the Hobby Center maybe 2003 but yes my first RC car was a 1985 was the Mrc-Tamiya grasshopper

Senton ..... we don't have any of the problems the other trucks have....it's the most underrated truck that they produce and it's a tank it is a slash on steroids I can't believe not more people talk about it I think everyone just likes the big monster truck whereas the Senton is big and it's own right at 18 scale that's just my opinion I looked at the rest of them I like to Senton I myself just got back into the Hobby Center maybe 2003 but yes my first RC car was a 1985 was the Mrc-Tamiya grasshopper

I probably would have get a Senton if I knew about them before buying a Slash 4x4 and a SC10rs from Team Associated. But many people start with those (Traxxas Slash) and so they already have a Short Course Truck, and then they want something different, like the Kraton.

I would trade my Slash + SC10rs any day for a Senton :p

The Senton is a pretty bitchin Truck. That will probably be my next RC, unless I actually pull the trigger on a Teckno or Durango kit.

This is my first hobby style RC. I have the Nero with diff brain. I love the truck. It has enough weight that it just now down tall grass. That the lighter trucks can't. What drew me to the Nero was the locking diffs. So it like I have 3 trucks in one. Now to lock and unlock the diffs. I slow right down. The only problem I have had with the drivetrain was a center diff. I rebuilt it and shimmed it. I can not talk about the rest of their line. But the diffs on the nero platform ( big rock and fazon) are large. I have had no problems with it since. I drive my truck with the center and rear diffs locked. Have never broke the locking pins. On 3 s batteries it is a beast. I think it won basher truck of the year? As far as to work on. It is a RC truck. If I wanted to gut the truck it would take about half an hour. Not really that bad. But I don't jump my truck much. That is what kills them. If your doing 30 mph. And crash and roll it. It is a heavy truck chances are your going to break something. But that is with all of these trucks. Happy trails

Nero is too heavy, too complex design. Breaks lots of little stuff under its own weight and a pain to work on. Kraton is very simple, and needs only a few key upgrade parts to be tough as nails.

As for truck of the year? That's like when Chevy wins an award for a new car, but 2 years later it's falling apart, and they don't consider that when they test drive it brand new. And the catch is, you can't even get parts to fix it for months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back