Granite Kraton or Rustler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wmorgan

When in doubt...bash it!
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 6s
What's the story on Kraton? I've been out of the hobby a couple of years but my son is dragging back in. I have a couple of Rustlers vxl and have enjoyed. Researching next buy I saw Traxxas has a Rustler 4x4 vxl, but I'll have to upgrade a ton just like current vxl. Then I came across Arrma and the Kraton...then all the Traxxas vs Hobbico law suit drama. I really like the Kraton just worried about after market parts. Can anyone give me the latest summary or tell me not to worry about parts?

What's the story on Kraton? I've been out of the hobby a couple of years but my son is dragging back in. I have a couple of Rustlers vxl and have enjoyed. Researching next buy I saw Traxxas has a Rustler 4x4 vxl, but I'll have to upgrade a ton just like current vxl. Then I came across Arrma and the Kraton...then all the Traxxas vs Hobbico law suit drama. I really like the Kraton just worried about after market parts. Can anyone give me the latest summary or tell me not to worry about parts?

Were are you located? US?

U want a 1/10 or 1/8th?
I know guys with both.
Fan boys aside, I have more kraton lovers at the end of the day. Rustlers are pretty nasty but honestly I think I've made the right choice with the kraton.

U want a 1/10 or 1/8th?
I know guys with both.
Fan boys aside, I have more kraton lovers at the end of the day. Rustlers are pretty nasty but honestly I think I've made the right choice with the kraton.
I'm not a fan boy either. I want to get the best for my dinero! What I've watched on the Kraton is impressive. My Rustler vxl I had to upgrade a majority of the parts before I could run 3S a full battery charge without breaking something. The Kraton is only $120 more that Rustler 4x4 vxl and it's a 1/8 that runs 6S. I'm starting to lean towards Kraton.

All the lawsuit stuff was settled a year ago so don't worry about that.

Parts are not a problem, they were about a year ago after the transition from Hobbico to Horizon Hobbies.

I'm not a fan boy either. I want to get the best for my dinero! What I've watched on the Kraton is impressive. My Rustler vxl I had to upgrade a majority of the parts before I could run 3S a full battery charge without breaking something. The Kraton is only $120 more that Rustler 4x4 vxl and it's a 1/8 that runs 6S. I'm starting to lean towards Kraton.
True but every couple of dollars, hundreds,, thousands, etc gets u that better ride... Go with what's in your heart

Really depends what you want to do with it. Kraton is awesome, very easy to drive and tough as nails. I don’t have a rustler so can’t comment but I definitely would never think about doing to my stampede what I do with the Kraton......the thought would never cross my mind

I have a rustler 4x4 vxl and waiting for delivery on my Kraton this week. Rustler is 1/10 3s and kraton is 1/8 and 6s so to me they are two different rigs As far as upgrades on rustler vxl 4x4, the only thing necessary is aluminum shock caps as the the plastic ones pop off easily when hard jumping. You also have to look at the cost of batteries and a charger for 4s/6s compared to 3s.if your looking at 1/10 3s rigs then have you considered the granite 4x4 blx or big rock crew cab 4x4 blx?

Last edited:
I have a rustler 4x4 vxl and waiting for delivery on my Kraton this week. Rustler is 1/10 3s and kraton is 1/8 and 6s so to me they are two different rigs As far as upgrades on rustler vxl 4x4, the only thing necessary is aluminum shock caps as the the plastic ones pop off easily when hard jumping. You also have to look at the cost of batteries and a charger for 4s/6s compared to 3s.if your looking at 1/10 3s rigs then have you considered the granite 4x4 blx or big rock crew cab 4x4 blx?
Everything said here is spot on. I have the Rustler 4 VXL and love it. No matter what anyone says it is a tuff little truck.

But were talking apples and oranges compared to the Kraton. Small 1/10 stadium truck compared to 1/8 scale beast. If your planning on hard bashing and big air Kraton is the way to go, but will cost more, truck and battery wise.

Something to think about with the Kraton is running 4s vs 6s.

Everything said here is spot on. I have the Rustler 4 VXL and love it. No matter what anyone says it is a tuff little truck.

But were talking apples and oranges compared to the Kraton. Small 1/10 stadium truck compared to 1/8 scale beast. If your planning on hard bashing and big air Kraton is the way to go, but will cost more, truck and battery wise.

Something to think about with the Kraton is running 4s vs 6s.

No question. I was just bashing my Kraton with my buddy's Rustler 4 VXL and they aren't even in the same ballpark. Nothing against the Rustler - its a great truck and I'd happily have one to go along with my 2wd - but its on another size/weight/power level. We were bashing/jumping in grass and though the Rustler was hooking up, it just couldn't quite get it like the Kraton. I don't think that should surprise anyone, but that's why
@Wmorgan's comment really struck me. At only $120 difference in price, you are getting a whole lotta truck with the Kraton.

Where do you plan to run? Small setting, small back yard, go with a 1/10 scale. Big grass lot, large bmx track, multi acre parks go with 1/8. I would buy the 6s typhon for the smaller setting or the 3s typhon if funds weren’t sufficient. Most important might be to wait a month and see the new cars/trucks from arrma.

You would figure that after 24 years they would have fixed those shock caps........
But it's nice to see that they finally got the drive shafts figured out.

I have a rustler 4x4 vxl and waiting for delivery on my Kraton this week.
☝️Sheer poetry! I will get the Rustler 4 vxl while I wait for the Kraton V4 to come out. Then will likely have to order one from hobby town and wait for delivery...I'm not a patient man. Lol

☝Sheer poetry! I will get the Rustler 4 vxl while I wait for the Kraton V4 to come out. Then will likely have to order one from hobby town and wait for delivery...I'm not a patient man. Lol
I don't think you can go wrong having both. I have both a stampede 4x4 vxl (upgraded a lot) and an outcast, also upgraded a lot. All of my upgrades are to make things more durable. Plain and simple. I don't do a single upgrade for show. My bodies riveted together and stitched with zipties will tell you that.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't give up either truck as I really enjoy both for what they are. I was eyeballing a rustler 4x4 just because I enjoy my stampede so much, but they are so similar, I don't want to have 2 of the same thing filling that same niche for what I do. I made that mistake before... 3 revos and 2 savages later... lol!

The stampede is a joy for me because it's so quick and light and with my setup, I get 30 minutes of constant wheel time on a single pack to tool around, air things out. The outcast in comparison is an angry ornery brute.

I think of one as a tack hammer and the other as a sledge hammer. Sometimes you want to hit a jump... other times you want to crush it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back