Kraton Kraton overheating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iLikeRCs

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
I run the 12t pinion in my kraton. After 2 packs my motor was too hot to touch. My question: does the esc shut down before the motor gets too hot or will it just burn out if I don't check my Temps??

You really need to get a temp gun because too hot to touch could still be in the safe operating temp of the electronics. Typically the esc will shut down if it is overheating but there is no way for the esc to know the motor temp so you can very easily fry the motor if your not careful. Keeping everything under around 160 is usually a good idea. Good Luck.

The ESC has thermal shutdown but not the motor. Running back to back packs will definitely heat things up. Get an IR thermometer to check temps and maybe put a fan and heatsink on that motor.

I usually don't check temps because a) I only run one pack and switch to a different truck or b) I am able and willing to buy a replacement motor if I cook one.

I can’t even get a single 3S 5000mah pack to LVC on my Granite BLX before the ESC overheats. It’s not even 80F here yet. Thinking the pinion/spur mesh is off, as others have mentioned. I wasn’t even driving wide open or anything either. Just tuning in loose gravel and dirt. Couldn’t run all out or it would spin out. Not enough traction.

Same here, my kratons esc keeps overheating. Constant flashes of green on the esc until I cycle the power on and off, then it’ll be good to go again. I had my ir gun with me and measured a temp of 152 for the esc. Would that trip the thermal or is it defective?

Last edited:
I can’t even get a single 3S 5000mah pack to LVC on my Granite BLX before the ESC overheats. It’s not even 80F here yet. Thinking the pinion/spur mesh is off, as others have mentioned. I wasn’t even driving wide open or anything either. Just tuning in loose gravel and dirt. Couldn’t run all out or it would spin out. Not enough traction.

odd, with twin fans on our motor we can run 3s pack after pack and never have the ESC complain, it always stays cool

Link to fans you’re using please?

On rcmart part number #YA-0180OR
20190427_151256.jpg

I usually don't check temps because a) I only run one pack and switch to a different truck or b) I am able and willing to buy a replacement motor if I cook one.

Hey, so the esc doesn't warn you? Wow that sucks. I guess I'll just buy a hobby wing motor fan

Im running both into one connector then into the reciever, thats only 6v, put my temps from 180 to 120f. massive change drop and it let us run multiple packs. use long screws deep down into the heatsink but also don't overtighten.

Im running both into one connector then into the reciever, thats only 6v, put my temps from 180 to 120f. massive change drop and it let us run multiple packs. use long screws deep down into the heatsink but also don't overtighten.

That’s good. I was worried I needed a step down or another pack.

I had 3 ESCs and they all overheated. I think having the body so low isn’t giving enough airflow. Mesh is good, drivetrain doesn’t bind.

I had 3 ESCs and they all overheated. I think having the body so low isn’t giving enough airflow. Mesh is good, drivetrain doesn’t bind.

Hmmm

I have the TLR Typhon which is a 6S rig. The body is low and it does not run hot. I feel it is about the right fans, and gearing. I have a few Losi buggies low bodies but good fans on the ESC.

It is a puzzle to get it right tho.... 🤷‍♂️

Turned out to be the receiver that was bad, it was requesting too much throttle (could not calibrate) and over amping the esc causing an error. Weird problem

Turned out to be the receiver that was bad, it was requesting too much throttle (could not calibrate) and over amping the esc causing an error. Weird problem
Don't sound like the reason to me.:unsure:
If you never service your Motor, BB's cleaned out, relubed with a synthetic oil, etc. Stocker motor BB's suck. Are usually dry of any lube. The motors will get hot even if it is 40F ambient temps outside. How you drive matters as well. Proper Gearing being a given for how and where you drive. And weather's temps must be accommodated.
Every RC'er needs a temp gun to monitor all the electrics. They are a cheap tool and good insurance. A motor that runs any higher than 140F (externally checked at 3 places on the motor) is cause for alarm IMHO. Cool down periods are important as needed. Or risk a bricked Armature as well as demagnatizing the armature's magnets. Permanent damage.
Having adequate Fan(s) is always a given. No matter what. I dislike Heatsinks. And find that a Fan mount alone and high CFM fan(s) are always best over the years of testing them. The Motor IS a HS by design already. I'm usually running (2) 40mm x20mm fans (28 CFM's each) on my hot running motor setups.. You can never have too much cooling overhead.
My spin.:cool:

Last edited:
Don't sound like the reason to me.:unsure:
If you never service your Motor, BB's cleaned out, relubed with a synthetic oil, etc. Stocker motor BB's suck. Are usually dry of any lube. The motors will get hot even if it is 40F ambient temps outside. How you drive matters as well. Proper Gearing being a given for how and where you drive. And weather's temps must be accommodated.
Every RC'er needs a temp gun to monitor all the electrics. They are a cheap tool and good insurance. A motor that runs any higher than 140F (externally checked at 3 places on the motor) is cause for alarm IMHO. Cool down periods are important as needed. Or risk a bricked Armature as well as demagnatizing the armature's magnets. Permanent damage.
Having adequate Fan(s) is always a given. No matter what. I dislike Heatsinks. And find that a Fan mount alone and high CFM fan(s) are always best over the years of testing them. The Motor IS a HS by design already. I'm usually running (2) 40mm x20mm fans (28 CFM's each) on my hot running motor setups.. You can never have too much cooling overhead.
My spin.:cool:
Cool response but when my Max6 was flashing green it was at 85 degrees. Max6 escs aren’t sensored and don’t throw an overheat error when the motor gets hot. Strictly the esc.

None the less, all of that is good advice to someone who didn’t have this specific problem.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back