Kraton Kraton pinion decision help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I just installed the leopard 4092 1730kv sitting on wrapped proline badlands mx3.8. I mainly bash. My question is should I run a 20t or 22t pinion on it. I have drilled and tapped the motor to fit the m4 motor screw.

Didn’t know what pinion to use I don’t care too much about speed and what now I just don’t want my motor to get hot.

I just installed the leopard 4092 1730kv sitting on wrapped proline badlands mx3.8. I mainly bash. My question is should I run a 20t or 22t pinion on it. I have drilled and tapped the motor to fit the m4 motor screw.

Didn’t know what pinion to use I don’t care too much about speed and what now I just don’t want my motor to get hot.
I ran that motor in my Kraton at one time. Tons of power on 6s! Now it sits in my Pro boat Cheetah..I ran a 20 tooth pinion hard bashing and it did get a little toasty especially in the summer. A 22 tooth may be too much. Just my experience! ? Now I'm running a Hobbystar 1730 with a 18 tooth and it's just right...

I thought i replied to this thread must've not posted but i was trying to say i have the 1480kv with a 16t on 6s it's a monster i think anywhere from 16to 18 would be ideal I'd start with 16 and go from there since most of us already have 16t laying around anyway and mine on the 16t 1480 kv will do close to 50 plenty fast for me

Thanks guys I tried looking it up on the search bar but didn’t see anything about the 1740kv running on 22t. I just saw it run good with 20t. I guess I’m going back to lhs and trading in My 22t for a 18t what do you think about a 19t.

Thanks guys I tried looking it up on the search bar but didn’t see anything about the 1740kv running on 22t. I just saw it run good with 20t. I guess I’m going back to lhs and trading in My 22t for a 18t what do you think about a 19t.
Honestly if your not looking for speed runs I'd look on the lower end and being summer is around the corner might get a little toasty like a said i have the 1480 kv it's a lower rpm motor and i have the 16t on it. on a 1730kv with a 16t you'll be closer to 60 you'll possibly shred more tires to

What tires are you running?

He said badland mx3.8 so i think they'll be more prone to tearing
I just saw that...nothing like paying attention to the original post, lol.

So using 149mm as the tire diameter, I get the following theoretical top speeds:

17t - 52.58
18t - 55.57
19t - 58.76
20t - 61.86
21t - 64.95
22t - 68.04

I think 19 is a good choice.

Honestly if your not looking for speed runs I'd look on the lower end and being summer is around the corner might get a little toasty like a said i have the 1480 kv it's a lower rpm motor and i have the 16t on it. on a 1730kv with a 16t you'll be closer to 60 you'll possibly shred more tires to
So your saying my best bet was to get the 1480kv instead of the 1730kv. I want the best gearing for that motor what the wheels I have on them so I don’t have to put a fan on it. I have. Twin turbo yeah racing fan and heatsink but I feel like the fan uses a lot of my batteries which kills my run time

If you're buying a 4092 motor it won't get hot enough to even need a fan. The 1480 and 1730kv will run the same temperature if geared for the same speed (58mph as bicketybam displayed up there)

So your saying my best bet was to get the 1480kv instead of the 1730kv. I want the best gearing for that motor what the wheels I have on them so I don’t have to put a fan on it. I have. Twin turbo yeah racing fan and heatsink but I feel like the fan uses a lot of my batteries which kills my run time
No im not saying that you should have gotten that motor lol im saying that's the one i have and for the given gearing say we both have 16t yours will always be faster but I'm saying mine with the lower kv on 16t is pretty fast so that means yours will be even faster with a 16 but with your tires i would honestly try the 16t first and if your not happy with the speed try a 17 18 or 19 t for a little more speed

No im not saying that you should have gotten that motor lol im saying that's the one i have and for the given gearing say we both have 16t yours will always be faster but I'm saying mine with the lower kv on 16t is pretty fast so that means yours will be even faster with a 16 but with your tires i would honestly try the 16t first and if your not happy with the speed try a 17 18 or 19 t for a little more speed
Thanks for all you help I’m going to try that and see what work best for me. Going to go bash with rich duperbash don’t want to let him down.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back