Kraton Kraton questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshsArrma

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I just picked up a Kraton and couldn't be happier. I am currently looking at 3 things. First i am going to be picking up a set of Tbone Racing bumpers. Thats easy.

Second question is should I go with 2x3s 7200mAh 60c Smc so I can run 6s or should i get 2x4s 6700mAh 90c and run them separately for more run times. Im not sure how long the run times running 6s will be and with the truck already with the faster pinion gear on and the 4s i currently have it is fast as poop.

Lastly I am looking at upgrading the wheels & tires. I will rarely run on asphalt mostly grass, dirt etc.

Thank you guys

I just picked up a Kraton and couldn't be happier. I am currently looking at 3 things. First i am going to be picking up a set of Tbone Racing bumpers. Thats easy.

Second question is should I go with 2x3s 7200mAh 60c Smc so I can run 6s or should i get 2x4s 6700mAh 90c and run them separately for more run times. Im not sure how long the run times running 6s will be and with the truck already with the faster pinion gear on and the 4s i currently have it is fast as poop.

Lastly I am looking at upgrading the wheels & tires. I will rarely run on asphalt mostly grass, dirt etc.

Thank you guys
I would go 6s....if you can make them fit?? 7200mah is quite big...i think my gensacearespammers 2x5000mah are pretty tight in the tray...check the dimensions first. Huge performance vs 4s and so much fun with the 14t pinion.
Personally i would get an alu servo mount from gka if youre gonna upgrade wheels to something better and or bigger/wider and maybe upgrade the servo too. And might as well shim at least the centerdiff.
Just my personal opinion...enjoy your toy ;)

I would go 6s....if you can make them fit?? 7200mah is quite big...i think my gensacearespammers 2x5000mah are pretty tight in the tray...check the dimensions first. Huge performance vs 4s and so much fun with the 14t pinion.
Personally i would get an alu servo mount from gka if youre gonna upgrade wheels to something better and or bigger/wider and maybe upgrade the servo too. And might as well shim at least the centerdiff.
Just my personal opinion...enjoy your toy ;)

Yeah i have to measure to make sure it fits if not make it fit. How much run time are you getting outta the 2 5000mAh batteries.
Ill look into the mount what is GKA?
On wheels anything you recommend?
thank you

Josh

Yeah i have to measure to make sure it fits if not make it fit. How much run time are you getting outta the 2 5000mAh batteries.
Ill look into the mount what is GKA?
On wheels anything you recommend?
thank you

Josh
Gka makes some custom aluminum parts....like servo mount and tower to chassi braces.
I like the badlands tires very much....no wheelies and great handling and insane acceleration :) however if getting bigger wheels like trencher or similar they will be able to absorb more energy from like landing after jumps or whatever....both ways are really fun but bigger soft tires will balloon alot and wheelie very easy...and be more forgiving damagewise to your car. I can not go full throttle with big wheels cause it will wheelie no matter how easy i try to max throttle.
My batteries maybe 20-30mins depending on driving style.

Check the vendor section on this forum for gka custom rc parts

For a wheel and tire combo.... get the Back Flips from Arrma. Once they start to sell them. Should be soon.

Running 6S with the Kraton is awesome.... it truly is a beast. I prefer one battery rather than 2. Less wire and connectors is more ideal for the ESC. 6S may get too hot if the rig is heavy, you got a big pinion and you run it real long off road. Just watch your temps on 6S.

You could get a lower KV motor, and just go larger on the pinion. The power system becomes more efficient and you will not need a 7000 mAh battery to get the same run times. You could use a 4200mAH 6S, 1300-1400KV motor. The stock motor is around 2200KV or a bit less. It's going to be hungry and get hot on 6S off-road with a 14 tooth and big tires.

I run my Kraton for about 18 mins on 5S 5200mAH 50C, 14 tooth pinion off-road with Badlands tires on the stock motor . It never gets too hot. I see 140-160. The stock ESC can't run 5S which is stupid. The motor loves it. It only has a Lipo cut off for 4S and 6S. You can use a Lipo alarm and set the ESC to NIMH. This way you can run a 5S with the stock motor and have a fast enough rig with no heat issues. Badlands are light and my 5S pack is light also.

So... the stock motor is actually perfect for 5S and real fine on 4S. I would think the stock motor would get hot off-roading on 6S. I never ran the stock motor on 6S off-road. I did run my 2200kv Castle and it got toasty with stock size tires and a 12 tooth pinion. Badlands may have helped keep it cooler.

6S is more efficient but you have to lower the KV on the motor. Then you can still run a 4200-5000 mAh and still get good run times on 6S. You make up the speed with larger pinion gears and can run big tires. Your better off with a few packs and a cool down period between them.

I would run 5S with the stock setup with light Badlands on Desperados. 14T.

Now...6S setups are just wicked. Watch your setup and heat. You may want a lower KV motor off-roading. Especially if you got big tires and your rig is heavy.

Last edited:
I run 2 7200mah 70c 3s spc batteries, badlands and 14 tooth pinion absolutely no heat issues, I ran a 16 and put a fan on it still fine temp wise, getting about 3y to 45 minutes of runtime with the 7200mah pair and I have 2 4s smc 6500mah 65c that last almost 30 minutes each. with stock tires things got warmer with the 16.

The Badlands are like running a 10 tooth pinion. They keep the Kraton cooler. I'm a huge fan of them. because you can't fit a smaller pinion than 12 if I recal.

To the OP....one thing about Badlands...they make the width wider but I like them. Here are a few pics. I do like the new Back Flips also but they are probably larger in diameter.

Attachments

• 2016-11-20 (1).png
    2016-11-20 (1).png
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • Body2.jpg.JPG
    Body2.jpg.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 55
  • paint.JPG
    paint.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 2016-11-19.png
    2016-11-19.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Thank you all so much. So much great information

I think I am first and foremost going to get new wheels and tires https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...J2qcJZYH008RsCW2MQgH9beum8tg1B-BpFhoClX7w_wcB

I am going to get 2 of these http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_96&product_id=398 And don't worry i will not run them together :) I would rather have 2 and have twice the run time and go a little slower. I will also watch the temps

Gonna throw these on https://tboneracing.net/10010--TBR-Thrasher-V2-Front-Bumper--ARRMA-Kraton-6S-V2_p_518.html
https://tboneracing.net/10018--TBR-18-Wide-Basher-Rear-Bumper--ARRMA-Kraton-6S-V2_p_430.html

With the diff work i will play with that as time comes and i get better with messing with the internals.
Again thank you all for the advice.

Josh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back