Kraton Kraton RtR or EXB???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstewart62

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Settled on a Kraton 8s, but can’t decide which one. RtR or the EXB.

We have 40 acres and are surrounded by wheat fields, there are badger holes once in a while that are hard to see till you’re up on it. Is the main reason for my concern about the RtR 8s.

I haven’t had a rc in quite some time. Grew up with nitros and went to get the kid a nitro for his birthday and ended up going with electric due to nitro being 60 bucks a gallon now 🤯. Kid picked out a Traxxas Summit, loves the dif locks and 2 speed trans. I’m gonna get the Kraton to go scoot around with him.

One more question can I add dif locks to the Kraton, 2 speed? If not I’ll just have to stay out of the tear drops we’ve got.

Bruv, where are you located?
Id say get the RTR. If you want to upgrade there are way better quality aftermarket parts than EXB claims to have.

Settled on a Kraton 8s, but can’t decide which one. RtR or the EXB.

One more question can I add dif locks to the Kraton, 2 speed? If not I’ll just have to stay out of the tear drops we’ve got.
The Kraton does not have two speeds. There is no transmission per se', just three differentials that transmit power from the motor to the wheels. By changing the weight of the oils in each differential ( center, front and rear) you can alter the driving characteristics of the vehicle. Low weight oils will allow for slippage, the opposite is true of heavier weight oils, naturally they inhibit slip and will act to lock up the differential.

Hello and welcome, there’s an amazon sale for the Outcast 8s https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Transmitter-Receiver-Included-Batteries/dp/B085QLNXKF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1BE640M65072P&keywords=arrma+kraton+8s&qid=1663549398&sprefix=Arrma+krat,aps,363&sr=8-5
I like my Kraton 8s but boy did I spend a lot of time and money on it. Bought it after already having several Arrma 6s cars. Out of the box the 8s rtrs are no where near as exciting as their 6s cars. They need much more power and a better servo. The rtr Kraton 6s out of the box is pretty crazy fun and less likely to break.

For scouting around I don’t know if the Arrmas are the right choice. They are not for low speed scouting or trailing. They have open diffs with diff fluid to adjust their openness. Some might run the center diff near locked but there’s no way to do this on the fly. You have to open the diffs up on the bench and change fluid. Also only 1 speed transmission.

For the near grand spent on a Kraton maybe check out the Axial SCX6’s for scouting around on trails. Its maybe 100$ more.

Hello and welcome, there’s an amazon sale for the Outcast 8s https://www.amazon.com/ARRMA-Transmitter-Receiver-Included-Batteries/dp/B085QLNXKF/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1BE640M65072P&keywords=arrma+kraton+8s&qid=1663549398&sprefix=Arrma+krat,aps,363&sr=8-5
I like my Kraton 8s but boy did I spend a lot of time and money on it. Bought it after already having several Arrma 6s cars. Out of the box the 8s rtrs are no where near as exciting as their 6s cars. They need much more power and a better servo. The rtr Kraton 6s out of the box is pretty crazy fun and less likely to break.

For scouting around I don’t know if the Arrmas are the right choice. They are not for low speed scouting or trailing. They have open diffs with diff fluid to adjust their openness. Some might run the center diff near locked but there’s no way to do this on the fly. You have to open the diffs up on the bench and change fluid. Also only 1 speed transmission.

For the near grand spent on a Kraton maybe check out the Axial SCX6’s for scouting around on trails. Its maybe 100$ more.
I could be wrong, but I think his goal is for a awd speed rig. Unless the Summit is typically a slow rig? 《-- ( I honestly don't know)

I could be wrong, but I think his goal is for a awd speed rig. Unless the Summit is typically a slow rig? 《-- ( I honestly don't know)
I see, I misread, he said scoot and I read scout... yes for speed and bashing Kraton 8s or 6s. The summit being smaller should be better on tighter areas and its not slow but has much better slow speed control than a single speed, sensorless brushless rig like the Kraton. The 8s rigs definately like it in a wide open area.

Bruv, where are you located?
Id say get the RTR. If you want to upgrade there are way better quality aftermarket parts than EXB claims to have.
I’m in eastern Washington

How do the Kratons 8s compare to like a DBXL? I was also looking at one of those in gas. Really want the all in purchase price to be around 15 or less. So not looking at the DBXLE.

For the near grand spent on a Kraton maybe check out the Axial SCX6’s for scouting around on trails. It’s maybe 100$ more.
I’m not interested in the outcast for my property, I want something that handles well. From what I’ve read that isn’t the outcast as it’s a stunt truck and the front wheels are usually off the ground.

I’m not looking for the 1/8 scale as I still have my old rustler.

As for the diff I was just curious if a diff with a locker could be added. If I run the center diff near locked will it break easier in the plowed fields?

The scx6 isn’t my thing at all. The summit is cool, as it’s more of a hybrid with the diff locks and the two speed trans. Put it in first gear with the diffs locked and it will climb the stairs, but second gear is 30ish miles an hour and does awesome in the plowed fields. Which aren’t like a groomed race track, more like whoops in motocross. Which is why I’m looking at the Kraton. The fields we have around here really seem like that trucks home.

Last edited:
Depending on how much knowledge you already have vs what you will need to learn the rtr will let you get a base line on what it is at stock. What breaks learn and upgrade.
Learning how to drive is most important
I’m not too worried about how to drive. I just went and pushed some cows with the kids little truck 🤣

When it comes to the electric stuff I don’t know much. But the nitro is another game. But I’m not paying 60 bucks a gallon. When I was a kid it was only 20!

Last edited:
I’m in eastern Washington

How do the Kratons 8s compare to like a DBXL? I was also looking at one of those in gas. Really want the all in purchase price to be around 15 or less. So not looking at the DBXLE.
Saw DBXL 2.0 new for 1250 shipped on ebay.
Hell, I'll sell you my new K8 for 800 shipped.
If I had the space I'd keep it. Just too much rig for me.

Don't have any experience with the 8s trucks, but I have had a Summit and I do have a 6s Kraton EXB which is the same size as the summit.

I can see what you mean about the Summit. It's going to do well for that kind of terrain because it has the big tires and long travel suspension links. Also, that 775 brushed motor in the Summit is super torquey. When that isn't enough, like you said you can always drop it in lower gear and push just about anything. Plenty of torque to snap the plastic driveshafts if the wheels got stuck.

But the Summit is limited in capabilities by design. It has a brushed motor and limited to 4s lipos. And the drivetrain isn't made to handle very much more power without having problems. With a brushless system, like what would be in the 8s trucks, You shouldn't need a 2 speed transmission unless you were "crawling" (frequently slower than about 4mph). But then again, the Arrma 8s trucks aren't really made for crawling. i think for your use case you've narrowed it down the right vehicle: the kraton 8s.

Just by weight, size, and power alone, the 8s kraton or outcast should outperform the summit in getting through the kind of terrain you've mentioned. Though I can't comment on which is better the EXB or RTR! if you can find a good deal, i'd say grab the RTR. It doesn't sound like you will be doing extreme bashing (like big air jumps, etc), and you can always add EXB parts later on.

As for the diff I was just curious if a diff with a locker could be added. If I run the center diff near locked will it break easier in the plowed fields?

I don’t own a 8s arrma but I have put silicone ear plugs in the center diff in my Xmaxx and Talion. While it’s not fully locked it gets it pretty close. You could also use some 20m weight diff fluid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back