Kraton Kraton servo upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraniteVorteksKraton

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Vorteks
I have spent the last hour searching Google for Kraton servo upgrades. I have not fond one recommendation for the Kraton.

I have even searched this forum with no luck. I'm going crazy trying to find info for a Kraton servo upgrade.

Surely there must be hundreds of people who have upgraded to a decent servo?

Thanks for the info. A few hours ago I found a page with some suggestions for 1/8 truggy's because I couldnt find anything specific for kraton, i read a forum where a few guys suggested the savox 1268sg and I found one on ebay locally for a good price. It was good to see that the 1268sg was on the same page of the link you provided. I really appreciate your suggestions.

No doubt I will need to upgrade the ESC down the track. Is the castle sidewinder for 1/8 scale any good? I was thinking this one? Or is there a cheaper but durable model that I should look out for? What KV should I go for with the Kraton?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy recommended a hobbywing exerun.. And I think you Woodie, mentioned a hobbywing ezrun on another post somewhere.

I won't mind spending the money if I have to,but if you think I can save a bit of money and get something cheaper,let me know.
Screenshot_2015-09-26-20-54-53.png

I've seen a couple people use that combo and are happy with it.

There are a ton of other Escs I've seen used;
hobbywing 150a quikrun, 150a ezrun and max8...
Tekin rx8 gen2
Castle Mamba monster 2, sidewinder and mamba monster X
Turnigy trackstar 150a

I don't have any experience with them myself except for the mamba monster, I just bookmarked them as I seen people mention using them. The two I see used the most are the manba monster and hobbywing quikrun

Also I see more people going with lower kv(1600-1900) motors lately with higher tooth pinions; poisiden, castle 1717, & leopards motors.

But I also seen one guy using the castle 2650kv combo. I guess it's preference?

There are a ton of other Escs I've seen used;
hobbywing 150a quikrun, 150a ezrun and max8...
Tekin rx8 gen2
Castle Mamba monster 2, sidewinder and mamba monster X
Turnigy trackstar 150a

Thanks for the info. I'm really only new to the RC world so I do have a lot to learn. I will checkout the various combos you mentioned. Thanks

When purchasing ESCs and motors separately, be sure you look at the motor's specs and compare them to the ESC's. I bought the HobbyWing Quicrun 8BL150 ESC and a Tenshock X802Lv2 1950KV. I didn't go with the 2200KV version, because its Max Amp draw was 160A, which is greater than the ESC's continuous 150A draw rating. The 1950KV motor's Max Amp draw is 140A, so it would definitely run safely within the ESC's performance specs. Sure, the ESC can peak a lot higher than 150A, but I don't think it's a good idea to continuously run it over its rated amperage.

I think the benefit of going with a lower KV motor that's geared up is that the higher torque + larger pinion means the motor is turning slower and not working as hard or generating as much heat as a higher KV motor with a smaller pinion. I'm guessing that the Tenshock could probably take a fairly large pinion for higher speeds because it's a 6-pole motor with more torque than a 4-pole. Now I just need to find the time to play around with different setups.

When purchasing ESCs and motors separately, be sure you look at the motor's specs and compare them to the ESC's. I bought the HobbyWing Quicrun 8BL150 ESC and a Tenshock X802Lv2 1950KV. I didn't go with the 2200KV version, because its Max Amp draw was 160A, which is greater than the ESC's continuous 150A draw rating. The 1950KV motor's Max Amp draw is 140A, so it would definitely run safely within the ESC's performance specs. Sure, the ESC can peak a lot higher than 150A, but I don't think it's a good idea to continuously run it over its rated amperage.

I think the benefit of going with a lower KV motor that's geared up is that the higher torque + larger pinion means the motor is turning slower and not working as hard or generating as much heat as a higher KV motor with a smaller pinion. I'm guessing that the Tenshock could probably take a fairly large pinion for higher speeds because it's a 6-pole motor with more torque than a 4-pole. Now I just need to find the time to play around with different setups.

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

I'm keen to hear what you think of this setup in your Arrma Kraton.

I have an Ammra Senton, but I'm curious as well! :confused: I need to get some 4mm male bullet connectors and solder the leads onto the motor, which means I need to learn to solder...

Thanks for the info. A few hours ago I found a page with some suggestions for 1/8 truggy's because I couldnt find anything specific for kraton, i read a forum where a few guys suggested the savox 1268sg and I found one on ebay locally for a good price. It was good to see that the 1268sg was on the same page of the link you provided. I really appreciate your suggestions.

No doubt I will need to upgrade the ESC down the track. Is the castle sidewinder for 1/8 scale any good? I was thinking this one? Or is there a cheaper but durable model that I should look out for? What KV should I go for with the Kraton?

I saw a YouTube video where a guy recommended a hobbywing exerun.. And I think you Woodie, mentioned a hobbywing ezrun on another post somewhere.

I won't mind spending the money if I have to,but if you think I can save a bit of money and get something cheaper,let me know. View attachment 352
U can get that combo for under $160.. Hope u didn't spend ur money on that set-up.. I just got the mamba-x with the 2200kv motor for 250 and the mamba really is worth the extra 100.. The sidewinder 8th is only recommended for 11lbs or lighter (with batts the kraton if heavier)

U can get that combo for under $160.. Hope u didn't spend ur money on that set-up.. I just got the mamba-x with the 2200kv motor for 250 and the mamba really is worth the extra 100.. The sidewinder 8th is only recommended for 11lbs or lighter (with batts the kraton if heavier)
Not in Australia you can't. $299 is the local price. I can get it cheaper from eBay but I won't get a warranty from eBay. I don't trust buying electronics from overseas. The way I see it is if I pay a bit more locally, its piece of mind if something goes wrong. Imagine if I bought an ESC/motor combo from overseas and it fries in the first week. Then I will have to buy another one coz I won't be able to get a warranty replacement from overseas. I may as well have just bought locally for a bit more money. Local distributors won't replace what they call a "grey import" purchased from overseas. The local distributors want you to buy from local stores for warranty cover. Pay more here in Australia for insurance reaaons if something does go wrong

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back