Kraton Kraton Speed Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So anything I need to know before I pop in that "speed" gear :) or pinion.
Have been running stock and want to know if its worth
the change out?
I just changed mine over to the speed pinion after running it for over a year.
It felt a lot quicker, you will be surprised!
You will need to keep an eye on your temps.
I have duel fans on my motor and a temp gun to hand.
Enjoy!

Also I hope you have MIP wrenches.
That pinion gear has lots of red locktite on it. Similarly when installing the speed gear you should use blue locktite.
The ones I do have are pretty good, I got it off and back on with Blue.

I'm also considering sticking the speed pinion on for bashing (since it's right there in the bag!) but my motor has been getting quite hot with just the standard 12T (no temp gun but hot to touch), I suspect this will be a lot worse with the optional 15T.

Noobie question - these fans mentioned above, am I right in thinking I will need a Y-splitter so the RX can power this and the ESC fan at the same time?

Ended up getting this one from Power Hobbies.
https://www.powerhobby.com/powerhobby-heatsink-ph1289red.html

After looking at the link Lucarlo sent I starting browsing around and its kind of
hard to find them for the 40xx motor size.
BTW @Lucarlo thanks for the link.
That one will work great.
Same as mine just a different brand.
You will probably need a splitter to reach the receiver.
Two fans plug into one connection.
I'm also considering sticking the speed pinion on for bashing (since it's right there in the bag!) but my motor has been getting quite hot with just the standard 12T (no temp gun but hot to touch), I suspect this will be a lot worse with the optional 15T.

Noobie question - these fans mentioned above, am I right in thinking I will need a Y-splitter so the RX can power this and the ESC fan at the same time?
Yes that's right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192470189333

Last edited:
finally broke a tooth off my 12T stock pinion, so put the speed pinion in, no special tools, just pop it out, pop it on, good to go. It was a little noisy due to a rough spot on the center diff gear where the stock pinion broke, but it's slowly getting better. Immediately started noticing a loud bark noise when I whack the throttle on 100% with 6s over and over... felt a lot of play in the rear diff and some grinding, ended up being the pin on the cup going into the side gear in the diff, broke it in three pieces! Im pretty sure it was broke before this, but couldn't quite notice a problem since it was still transferring power, just real sloppy like. Thought something felt off, just wasn't sure what. Was surprised how good the pinion and ring gear looked though.

If you haven’t already swap out the centre diff fluid (thicker) to maximise the gains you’ll get out of the car.
With the bigger pinion alot of the power will bleed to the front tyres. These tyres will be in the air not making contact with the ground and as a result less speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200728_152152.jpg
    IMG_20200728_152152.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 58
Looks just like the YR heatsink. I bet they’re made in the same factory.
I bet that's a good bet ;)

Ever noticed how all the Chinese companies sell exactly the same products that look amazingly like other more expensive products sold by more name brand companies...wonder why that is? :p
If you haven’t already swap out the centre diff fluid (thicker) to maximise the gains you’ll get out of the car.
With the bigger pinion alot of the power will bleed to the front tyres. These tyres will be in the air not making contact with the ground and as a result less speed.
Use silicone ear plugs, the thicc-est ;)

Here's what I put in mine and I haven't even geared it up yet, still makes a huge difference in handling though:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003LZQGN6?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Sometimes I feel just going thicker oil will create some of the gain going to the speed pinion. Except max speed, of course.

Yes you’ll need a Y splitter which plugs into the the Rx box
Sometimes I feel just going thicker oil will create some of the gain going to the speed pinion. Except max speed, of course.
Pinions driven by the Motor.
Just like electricity........... The power will take the path of least resistance. Having a thicker oil in the centre diff will send more of that power to the rear wheels which will always be grounded rather than wasted up at the front wheeling.

Yes you’ll need a Y splitter which plugs into the the Rx box

Pinions driven by the Motor.
Just like electricity........... The power will take the path of least resistance. Having a thicker oil in the centre diff will send more of that power to the rear wheels which will always be grounded rather than wasted up at the front wheeling.
The fan I got for my Kraton came with everything you need to connect it to the receiver, including the Y adapter...and it came in three days when Amazon said it was gonna be weeks...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back