Kraton Kraton tires unusable after 10 runs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauaiguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
My tires filles with sand, so much that the front suspension balls keep unscrewing( even with super glue)They weight a ton now and the inner foam ripped and is bunchd up.Took 2 wheels apart and dumped out a pound of sand!Do i plug up the holes

My tires filles with sand, so much that the front suspension balls keep unscrewing( even with super glue)They weight a ton now and the inner foam ripped and is bunchd up.Took 2 wheels apart and dumped out a pound of sand!Do i plug up the holes

Plugging the holes on the wheels is first thing I do before running cars that I've bought so far.

Plug the rim holes for starters. Then you can heat up a metal punch and make a small hole in the actual tire somewhere between the tread. I make about a 1/8th inch hole. Water and sand will be expelled out of it. Centrifugal force will send it all out. I do this to most of my rc tires eventually. You need a hole but it's better off in the tire, rather than the rim.

Plug the rim holes for starters. Then you can heat up a metal punch and make a small hole in the actual tire somewhere between the tread. I make about a 1/8th inch hole. Water and sand will be expelled out of it. Centrifugal force will send it all out. I do this to most of my rc tires eventually. You need a hole but it's better off in the tire, rather than the rim.

This^^^

I use a leather hole punch to vent my tires. I got my hole punch at Tractor supply for $9

Sometimes when you purchase non mounted rims and tires from Pro-Line....you will notice that the holes are not open in the rims. They did this so you can make that decision.....On pre mounted rims and tires, I notice that the rim is mostly drilled and the tires have no holes. I have talked to Pro-Line and they recommend putting a hole or 2 in the tire. Keep the rim plugged up. I like burning holes through them.....it smells fantastic. :D

I'm going to have to try this as my TC's are WAY out of balance

What everyone else says... soak tires in acetone to remove the glue. Plug holes in the wheel and vent the tires. Many videos on youtube

I would be checking the glue on your tires if your filling them with sand they are probably unglued in a few places... keep them glued up, if your gonna plug the holes in the rims use shoe goo or silicone so you can take it off if ya want to. if the balls are coming unscrewed you have a serious balance issue get new tires and wheels and try again. keep an eye on them if they show any small spots coming unglued get tire glue on it right away. Running 6s holding it pinned and letting tires balloon is gonna blow them off the rims.

I have always plugged both holes to keep water out. Whats this about a hole in the tread? that will vent the tire I understand but won't it also let the water in and ruin the foam? If its something I need to do - Pls tell me - don't want to ruin another set....Ive ruined a lot of sets - Im kinda good at it...

I would be checking the glue on your tires if your filling them with sand they are probably unglued in a few places... keep them glued up, if your gonna plug the holes in the rims use shoe goo or silicone so you can take it off if ya want to. if the balls are coming unscrewed you have a serious balance issue get new tires and wheels and try again. keep an eye on them if they show any small spots coming unglued get tire glue on it right away. Running 6s holding it pinned and letting tires balloon is gonna blow them off the rims.
Tire glue was fine, the 1/2 pound sand caused a major inbalance on just 4s for each tire.

Morning,
So I close the holes in the rims and make a new hole with a hot metal punch into the tire ?
Do you have a pic for me, where to make the new hole ?

Sometimes when you purchase non mounted rims and tires from Pro-Line....you will notice that the holes are not open in the rims. They did this so you can make that decision.....On pre mounted rims and tires, I notice that the rim is mostly drilled and the tires have no holes. I have talked to Pro-Line and they recommend putting a hole or 2 in the tire. Keep the rim plugged up. I like burning holes through them.....it smells fantastic. :D

i recently picked up a set of AKA pre-mounts for my Typhon, they had the tires vented and the rim's vent covered. FYI...

What everyone else says... soak tires in acetone to remove the glue. Plug holes in the wheel and vent the tires. Many videos on youtube

That is a lot of work jst to punch some holes. With the Leather punch, I punch / vent them while they are on the rim.

I have always plugged both holes to keep water out. Whats this about a hole in the tread? that will vent the tire I understand but won't it also let the water in and ruin the foam? If its something I need to do - Pls tell me - don't want to ruin another set....Ive ruined a lot of sets - Im kinda good at it...

A small amount of water might get in, but when you get on the throttle, the centrifugal force will fling the water out.

Morning,
So I close the holes in the rims and make a new hole with a hot metal punch into the tire ?
Do you have a pic for me, where to make the new hole ?

I make the hole as close to the center line as I can, 2 holes 180deg apart. I'll try to get a picture tonight.

Jerry

By punching holes on the tires wouldn't that make it easier to ballon and ripe the tires?

Iv been testing several tires and found Redcat Avalanche tires work great. Buy them not pre assembled, gorilla tape the inside and plug up the vent holes. Great traction and no ballooning. Terremoto tires seem to be working really good also without tapping. You have to change the hexes to longer ones to use the Terremoto set up

It looks like the tires and rims off the new Arrma Outcast will be a great tire on the Kraton. It looks like Arrma came up with their own Badlands. They are called Backflips. It looks like they will please the people who feel Badlands are a little small. I really, really like the new Outcast but I'm unsure about the short wheel base. I think I'll get one anyway.

It looks like the tires and rims off the new Arrma Outcast will be a great tire on the Kraton. It looks like Arrma came up with their own Badlands. They are called Backflips. It looks like they will please the people who feel Badlands are a little small. I really, really like the new Outcast but I'm unsure about the short wheel base. I think I'll get one anyway.

i agree on the Outcast tires....I think they would be good on the Kraton.

Hopefully they can handle 6s

I saw the pics for the Outcast in the Tower Hobby Email, and those tires look like they balloon out pretty bad, just like the Kraton Tires do.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back