Kraton Kraton upgrade front and rear dog bones with DEX8T?

Gjflores77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Talion
Anyone know if the dex8t front and rear drive shafts work with the Kraton?

image.jpeg

I do know the length is different however I don't know if they are measuring end to end.

Rich Duperbash

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, ,
@Rich Duperbash @Camo ether of you know if this would work?
I'm not sure bro. Wondering if Kaiguy or someone else on the forum already did this mod??? It's been done with good results, just can't recall who posted about it. Think they went custom using 2 different brands to get the lengths right. I'll try and find it for you.

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Pretty sure it was @Kauaiguy but he was custom making some parts for it too. I think it is in the MODIFICATION OF THE WEEKEND thread. But it's got 15 pages of posts so I did not dig to find it.

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Granite, , Raider, Senton
Guys... I have a Kraton and a Durango DEX8T but unfortunately I am away from home working for the next 2 weeks.. I will see if these are interchangeable once I get home...Cheers

Vanning

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kaiguy...at one time would run the CVD's from the front also in the rear of his Kraton. He did some sort of custom center driveshaft setup also. If you look at more expensive racing RC's.....you will see the rear has a CVD also and not just a dog bone on the 4 outer driveshafts. I guess there is less resistance and vibration from a CVD. Also...the drive shafts out of high end race truggies and buggies always seem to have way less run out than a RTR rc. It would be nice if Arrma made a Kraton in a premium version as a slider kit. It would be one expensive basher by the time it's finished.

Kaiguy also may have fitted the Durango outdrive cups into his diffs. The more premium race kits seem to have lighter parts, however....they are case hardened etc. The parts may be lighter but they are way stronger and more precision cut. Also more $$$ sometimes.

Last edited:

Kauaiguy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kaiguy...at one time would run the CVD's from the front also in the rear of his Kraton. He did some sort of custom center driveshaft setup also. If you look at more expensive racing RC's.....you will see the rear has a CVD also and not just a dog bone on the 4 outer driveshafts. I guess there is less resistance and vibration from a CVD. Also...the drive shafts out of high end race truggies and buggies always seem to have way less run out than a RTR rc. It would be nice if Arrma made a Kraton in a premium version as a slider kit. It would be one expensive basher by the time it's finished.

Kaiguy also may have fitted the Durango outdrive cups into his diffs. The more premium race kits seem to have lighter parts, however....they are case hardened etc. The parts may be lighter but they are way stronger and more precision cut. Also more $$$ sometimes.
My setup is still going.I had to make shafts for the center diff so i could use the cvd drives instead of the dog bone drive.I used 450 helicopter rotor shafts since they are hardened and already have pin holes drilled..

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
DSC_0086.JPG DSC_0088.JPG DSC_0089.JPG DSC_0090.JPG DSC_0091.JPG DSC_0092.JPG DSC_0094.JPG Guys...took some picks of the drive shafts as a comparison. The Durango Dex8t front and rear drive shafts are interchangeable with the Kraton but with one restriction. The original offset17mm Hex drives on the Kraton cannot be used ... See pic
Also the centre different drive shafts are a different length and are not practical IMO...

dpricenator

Excellence Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
SO..... The part will be superior, but you lose the added width with the shorter wheel hex. Do the tire rub anywhere? Or did you shorten the streering travel?

Gjflores77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Talion
View attachment 11368 View attachment 11369 View attachment 11370 View attachment 11371 View attachment 11372 View attachment 11373 View attachment 11374 Guys...took some picks of the drive shafts as a comparison. The Durango Dex8t front and rear drive shafts are interchangeable with the Kraton but with one restriction. The original offset17mm Hex drives on the Kraton cannot be used ... See pic
Also the centre different drive shafts are a different length and are not practical IMO...
Dang I wanted the center drives

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
You could still buy aftermarket offset type 17mm Hex's and get your width again.... 89108-WHEEL-HUB-EXTENDERS-4PC-FOR-HSP-PARTS-1-8-SCALE-TORNADO-17mm-1-order.jpg_640x640.jpg

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Not sure what you are asking for Gjflores77???

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Ok..so the front shaft is way too short and the rear shaft from the centre different is about 20mm shorter as shown in my last pic on the original post...Also as mentioned in this post you would need to manufacture a drive shaft to suit the centre diff CVD as it is of a different attachment... I hope this is of some assistance.

Gjflores77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
, Talion
Ok..so the front shaft is way too short and the rear shaft from the centre different is about 20mm shorter as shown in my last pic on the original post...Also as mentioned in this post you would need to manufacture a drive shaft to suit the centre diff CVD as it is of a different attachment... I hope this is of some assistance.
Yes, thank you it saved me some money. I was about to order them just to see if it worked.

cuzzy

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
You are very welcome....cheers
Cuzzy