Kraton Kraton Upgrade Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey all. I am a total noob. Haven't raced RC since the mid 90's with my Lunch Box and Grass Hopper.

I have a Kraton V3 on order, and I see people discussing shimming the diffs and changing the servo.

The only thing I want to do right off the bat is change the tires. How critical are those other mods? I am not really skilled enough to pull apart the diffs and start messing around, it will never go back. Will not doing these affect the performance enough for someone of my skill to notice?

Are you running 4s or 6s? I wouldn't worry about shimming them until you run 6s. It handles the power of 4s fine.

Starting out I would buy some quality batteries, a good charger and maybe some backflip tires if you can find them. I hate the Minokawa's.

I run mostly 4s in my cars with the occasional 6s and have shimmed one of them since I was changing the diff oil anyways. The other two I have not shimmed or changed oil in yet and they have been fine. All three of mine are still rocking the stock servo. They are not the fastest or strongest servos but they do work. I would say use the factory servo but know that the stock servo doesn't last for most people and be prepared for it to go out and upgrade. Or you could upgrade now and keep the factory as a spare.

I would honestly say just to do a normal ready to run procedure, check for stripped screws, check mesh, check throttle and steering endpoints, check servo saver, etc.. and then upgrade as needed/wanted.

If you have not run RC's since the '90s, then just start on 4s. 6s would be asking for trouble. Maybe swap the stock 12t pinion for a 14t or 16t (I run a 14t) and call it good. Give your self time to learn to control the power.

Plus, on 4s, you don't really need to shim the diffs, unless you go huge on the tires.

I just started RC cars (heli for years). I went straight to 6s because I already have 6s bats from my heli. I couldn't image running any less. I still want more speed! :) Just remember if you go 4s, you'll quickly want to switch to 6s and then what do you do with the 4s bats, unless you have other RC cars you run them on?

I did not shim my diffs. Granted each case will be different, as tolerances in diffs can make some require more shimming than others. Just run stock and replace as needed or when the itch occurs.

thanks for the great responses. i am going to get the backflips, they look to be on back order for a few weeks but so is my kraton. i was looking at a good 4s battery and i found the Graphenes. the 6000mah 4s looks to be too big to fit in the kraton. what is a really good battery that will fit no problem?

Black Label Society
FYG, I'm running 6S in both my V3 Talion & V3 Kraton, and have not shimmed the diffs yet. I also run stock punch setting. However, I will be shimming them & changing fluids, etc, very soon, as shimmed diffs will always be better, especially when running 6S. Although my Talion only has 1 run on it, my Kraton has already seen at least 8 full bashing sessions, with stock diffs (no shimming, etc). I do run only 4S in my RIVAL MT, but must say, it is now boring to drive, especially compared to the insane 6S power of my 2 new Arrma's. My 4S Monster Truck now just sits idle, unless my wife and nephews come out with me, than they now use it...If you do try 6S, you will not go back and your 4S batteries may just collect dust...

Yes, those are the Dboots Backflip tires, and I also got some for my Kraton. Yes, the Backflips (3.0" wide) are not as wide as the stock Minokawa tires (3.3" wide), but are slightly taller (6.8" compared to 6.5"). They have that awesome tread pattern almost exactly like Pro-line Badlands (just bigger & stiffer). Since the Backflips are heavier, taller and have way more traction, I have not installed on my Kraton yet, at least not until I shim the diffs, just to be safe. Tower hobbies had the Backflips in stock a while back, but can also check out jennysrc (look under Outcast section).

Just make sure the battery(s) fits the tray (158x48x70mm). I recommend at least 50C constant.

Last edited:
Those are the right tires. I used my stock tires for wet asphalt runs. Fun to drift em, and not worry about chewing thru the tread.

Black Label Society
FYG, I'm running 6S in both my V3 Talion & V3 Kraton, and have not shimmed the diffs yet. I also run stock punch setting. However, I will be shimming them & changing fluids, etc, very soon, as shimmed diffs will always be better, especially when running 6S. Although my Talion only has 1 run on it, my Kraton has already seen at least 8 full bashing sessions, with stock diffs (no shimming, etc). I do run only 4S in my RIVAL MT, but must say, it is now boring to drive, especially compared to the insane 6S power of my 2 new Arrma's. My 4S Monster Truck now just sits idle, unless my wife and nephews come out with me, than they now use it...If you do try 6S, you will not go back and your 4S batteries may just collect dust...

Yes, those are the Dboots Backflip tires, and I also got some for my Kraton. Yes, the Backflips (3.0" wide) are not as wide as the stock Minokawa tires (3.3" wide), but are slightly taller (6.8" compared to 6.5"). They have that awesome tread pattern almost exactly like Pro-line Badlands (just bigger & stiffer). Since the Backflips are heavier, taller and have way more traction, I have not installed on my Kraton yet, at least not until I shim the diffs, just to be safe. Tower hobbies had the Backflips in stock a while back, but can also check out jennysrc (look under Outcast section).

Just make sure the battery(s) fits the tray (158x48x70mm). I recommend at least 50C constant.

thanks for the reply. i haven't run RC in so long i feel like i need to warm up on 4s before doing some damage being unfamiliar with it. i don't mind having an extra battery. what batteries do most people run? there are so many brands, which are considered good?

thanks for the reply. i haven't run RC in so long i feel like i need to warm up on 4s before doing some damage being unfamiliar with it. i don't mind having an extra battery. what batteries do most people run? there are so many brands, which are considered good?

Yes, I know what you mean, as 6S & 60mph can get you in trouble "real quick". I started back in the hobby with 4S a few years ago. I've heard a few members mention SMC batteries are very good quality. Battery selection will also depend if you don't mind soldering, or if you must have the XT90 connector that Arrma uses. For 4S power, I've used (2) 2S 7.4v 5300mAh gensacearespammers 65C Lipos (I changed connectors), and these Gens batteries still have great power with no problems for over 3 years now. In my 6S Arrma's, I'm recently been using (2) 3S 11.1v Power Hobby 5200mAh 50C Lipos (ebay) & a Zippy Compact 6S 22.2v 5000mAh 60C Lipo. The Power Hobby and Zippy batteries have great power & already have the XT90 connectors, so no soldering required. I always balance charge, so all my battery cells are still well balanced, even my older ones.

no reason not to. A lot of people may of started with smaller cars that used 2s or 3s. Double stacking is just a way to make use of same battery. Some also may not have a 4s or 6s capable charger. If buying new and have a capable charger, I'd go with single 4s or 6s pack.

Personally I removed stock connector on ESC and went with single EC5 to match my existing 6s batteries.

so i need a battery with xt90 connectors. i see SMC has one on pre order that looks good. is this adequate? True Spec Premium 14.8V-5400mAh-135 Amps/90C pack? is 5400 high enough?

if i run one battery, I have to remove the connector on the speed control? i don't follow that... im sorry. im trying to get my brain in the game here...its been so long.

The packaging will come with a terminating XT90 connector to run one battery. It's just a wire that passes through neg to pos to complete the connection for single battery use.

I'm running glacier 6s 4400 45C. I'm getting over 20 mins drive time. 5400 is plenty. I believe SMC continuous C rating is 25C. The 90C is burst. People say good things about SMC so I wouldn't be worried about the 25C. They're conservative in their ratings.

so i need a battery with xt90 connectors. i see SMC has one on pre order that looks good. is this adequate? True Spec Premium 14.8V-5400mAh-135 Amps/90C pack? is 5400 high enough?

if i run one battery, I have to remove the connector on the speed control? i don't follow that... im sorry. im trying to get my brain in the game here...its been so long.
You could either rewire the esc or use the loop connector I have linked below. There should be one included with your vehicle in the pack of tools and everything.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...AzqK2EMjJaqhGxCeg_atBLhPA4KbpDSoaArJHEALw_wcB

25c?? the manual for the kraton says the minimum c rating should be higher than that...not in front of me so i don't recall. i think it was 30 or 35

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back