Typhon Kraton V3 and Typhon V3, 90 days ,100+ packs comparison

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btosic

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Kraton and Typhon, bought the same day. On every bashing driven together, at total of 100+ packs per car, same conditions(snow, mud, dry) mostly away from asphalt.
Kraton and Typhon have: alu braces, alu servo mount, alu central diff mount, Yeah Racin motor cooler with twin Tornado fans, punch set to 7.Kraton was on 14t pinion(now 22 with 1480KV motor), typhon on 20t pinion
Both cars have stock diff oil weight, both are regulary mainteind by advanced level wrencher and RC hobbyst.
Kraton is on Max6 and Hobbystar 4092 1480KV for about 2 weeks, so two weeks are out of comparison.
I haven't count regular servicing(tires, gaskets, o-rings, screws and bearings).

Kraton:
-Wing mount problem, solved with proper shims
-Problem with losing wheels, solved
-Peoblem with upper shock mount bolt
-Problem with stock shock towers(bending)
-Striped rear diff pinion
-Damged rear and front diff spur
-Pillow ball screws lost(solved with tape, works great, easy for removing)
-Servo saver keeps coming lose
My fault:
-Broken Arms
-Light damage on body

Typhon:
-Damaged body from ballooning tires.
Period, that is all.

Typhon is my overall hobby class 1/8 el. RC champion. The car is so well constructed, weight to structural strength is very good, so it just keeps going. No problems with diffs, inside, and on spur or pinion, no bending, everything is short and stiff.

I won't say a single bad word about Kraton, I love it, it is so nice, it has that fun factor, it is well built, but Typhon is a better car. If not yet, give a Typhon 6S a chance, I have a feeling that Typhon 6S is one of a few cars that would be near 100% of our expectations!

Have a good bashing my friends!

Kraton and Typhon, bought the same day. On every bashing driven together, at total of 100+ packs per car, same conditions(snow, mud, dry) mostly away from asphalt.
Kraton and Typhon have: alu braces, alu servo mount, alu central diff mount, Yeah Racin motor cooler with twin Tornado fans, punch set to 7.Kraton was on 14t pinion(now 22 with 1480KV motor), typhon on 20t pinion
Both cars have stock diff oil weight, both are regulary mainteind by advanced level wrencher and RC hobbyst.
Kraton is on Max6 and Hobbystar 4092 1480KV for about 2 weeks, so two weeks are out of comparison.
I haven't count regular servicing(tires, gaskets, o-rings, screws and bearings).

Kraton:
My fault:
-Broken Arms
-Light damage on body

Typhon:
Period, that is all.

Typhon is my overall hobby class 1/8 el. RC champion. The car is so well constructed, weight to structural strength is very good, so it just keeps going. No problems with diffs, inside, and on spur or pinion, no bending, everything is short and stiff.

I won't say a single bad word about Kraton, I love it, it is so nice, it has that fun factor, it is well built, but Typhon is a better car. If not yet, give a Typhon 6S a chance, I have a feeling that Typhon 6S is one of a few cars that would be near 100% of our expectations!

try a talion... lol all the pros of both those cars...

It was a pleasure. For me, the most important thing is that my daughter is having fun and that she is outside laughing and running, away from smart phone, tablet and PC...

i try bring my 6 yr old jumping whenever i go... its fun to make video with kids too..

Kraton:
My fault:
-Broken Arms
-Light damage on body

Typhon:
Period, that is all.

I just got the typhon TODAY!! What tires would you recommend? Thank you and enjoy!!

That's awesome summary. one of the reasons i chose the Talion over the Kraton is that i felt it "stretches" the envelope of the platform less.

Do you have any similar observations on other rc scales/brands?

I believe one of the main differences between the two, is spiral vs straight cut pinion and spur gears on the f/r difs. The spiral are integrated into the Kraton and Outcast/Notorious for the purpose of stunting, where the straight cut on the Typhon is more of a race set up. This could be one of the reasons the Typhon holds up better. Not sure how hard and high you jump them both, but I think you would notice different results regarding the gearboxes, if you drove them both like you might an Outcast/Notorious. Whatever the result, glad to know you're having fun with your daughter.

Wing needs two solid(thicker) shims to stop it from falling after jumps or any harsh contact. That way you won't destroy wing mount.

Wing needs two solid(thicker) shims to stop it from falling after jumps or any harsh contact. That way you won't destroy wing mount.
Pics of those shim placements?

Btosic, I'm on the fence on getting a typhon. But worried about durability. I do take my talion and notorious to bmx dirt parks and skateparks mainly landing on grass or dirt.

What kind of bashing do you do?
Do you do jumps of ramps?

My Typhon is on 20T pinion, I run it very hard(fast) on asphalt, dirt and gras. I don't do extreme jumps, but I jump almost on every session. Front tower is a place to look, as it takes beating on every bad landing or high speed rolling. My advice, get the Typhon, it is a next level of handling, maneuverability and "race feeling". If I run Typhon first, and then Kraton, Kraton feels slow. Typhon would bang out of corner, and take turns much, much tighter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back