Kraton Kraton V4 vs BLX vs EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have picked up a 2nd (possibly 3rd or even 4th) hand Kraton V4 running 6s (has some serious boogie to her!).
It has a bunch of upgrades and modifications already done to it and I'm trying to work out what works with what going foward.
It currently has an upgraded steering server, a HobbyWing Max6 ESC, a "Hobby Rocket" 4076 1550kv motor, Integy shock towers and ZD Racing shocks.
I've since put on an Arrma EXB front bumper (ARA320573) and the front and rear EXB metal chassis braces.
The rest is fairly stock but I'm wondering what the difference between the Kraton V4, BLX and EXB are in regards to things like bearing sizes, diff casings (and bearings) etc etc.

I would like to replace the wheel bearings, and any others that may have signs of wear, but not sure how if there is a difference between the V4, BLX and EXB bearing sizes?

Maybe I just need to take the bearings out that are in it and measure them individually? Or are there any 'give aways' as to what model this really is?

Cheers!
Hunt

Have you any pics?
Edit:
If its a used rig I would replace the whole bearing kit ( Jim's, fast eddy's etc) cheap, needed, piece of mind.đź‘Ť

Ok I've uploaded some pics.
Yeah I want to get a full bearing set - but I don't know what to get as there appear to be different sets for the V4, BLX and EXB.

Also please excuse the state of it - I haven't cleaned it since last session - and yes I broke the wing arms off :ROFLMAO:

Hi all.

I have picked up a 2nd (possibly 3rd or even 4th) hand Kraton V4 running 6s (has some serious boogie to her!).
It has a bunch of upgrades and modifications already done to it and I'm trying to work out what works with what going foward.
It currently has an upgraded steering server, a HobbyWing Max6 ESC, a "Hobby Rocket" 4076 1550kv motor, Integy shock towers and ZD Racing shocks.
I've since put on an Arrma EXB front bumper (ARA320573) and the front and rear EXB metal chassis braces.
The rest is fairly stock but I'm wondering what the difference between the Kraton V4, BLX and EXB are in regards to things like bearing sizes, diff casings (and bearings) etc etc.

I would like to replace the wheel bearings, and any others that may have signs of wear, but not sure how if there is a difference between the V4, BLX and EXB bearing sizes?

Maybe I just need to take the bearings out that are in it and measure them individually? Or are there any 'give aways' as to what model this really is?

Cheers!
Hunt
Hello and welcome!

I do not have the older models just the EXB but I often go Horizon Hobby site and open the exploded view to see all the parts and numbers for all the models for comparison. You can see if they are the same and/or open an Amain website and put in the part number their site will list model compatibility on what fits other rigs like bearings, parts, etc fit.

I can say the EXB came with the LSD (Limited Slip Diffs) those are the 29mm diffs with the curved gears and not the straight ones found on the others. So those will be different on the EXB as well as you might know so other upgraded parts they added to it.

The bearings are no different between BLX and EXB. As mentioned by @parcou above there are different diffs (LSD w/ spiral cut input and crown gears) between the two versions (and V5 as well) but the casing is the same dimension and composition. With a Max6 you've leapfrogged the Spektrum electronics so you're ahead of the curve there. There's a few other subtle differences but with what you have, the chassis is the last major piece of the puzzle. "Supposedly" the EXB chassis is 7075 ...as are the towers and braces. Your front upper rear pivot block is plastic whereas the EXB variant is aluminum. Pins are the same dimension and strength.
JennysRC has new take off EXB chassis for sale, personally I'd go with a aftermarket 7075 chassis if I was to replace one.

Ok I've uploaded some pics.
Yeah I want to get a full bearing set - but I don't know what to get as there appear to be different sets for the V4, BLX and EXB.

Also please excuse the state of it - I haven't cleaned it since last session - and yes I broke the wing arms off :ROFLMAO:

I would ditch the ZD Racing shocks put some stock ones back on, those shocks are a downgrade not an upgrade.
Idk how well I would trust the Integy shock towers, Integy is not known for making a quality product.
The servo is in backwards.
Servo horn isn't right.
The rod ends on the ackerman side of the steering links are not the correct ends.

I would ditch the ZD Racing shocks put some stock ones back on, those shocks are a downgrade not an upgrade.
Idk how well I would trust the Integy shock towers, Integy is not known for making a quality product.
Servo horn isn't right.
The rod ends on the ackerman side of the steering links are not the correct ends.
I didn't even see there was pics. Great eye! đź‘Ť

Servo horn isn't right.

Thanks for that.
Ok will look into replacing the ZD shocks. I have already bent one of the shock rods and bent it back easy enough (never a good sign when you can bend them easily....).
I broke the already bent and 'seen better days' wing arms and was silly and kept driving it without a wing and I went off a jump and landed badly on the back shock tower - which now has a small bend in it. Not bad - could probably take it off and bend it back. But will look at replacing these also.
Hmmm now you mention it, the steering server does look messed up. I have just flipped the servo around but now my horn (which you said isn't right) doesn't fit. The head of the bolt that goes through the horn to the next link hits the top of the servo. I will look into a metal horn.

Also what do you mean "The rod ends on the ackerman side of the steering links are not the correct ends." ?

Cheers!
Hunt

Thanks for that.
Ok will look into replacing the ZD shocks. I have already bent one of the shock rods and bent it back easy enough (never a good sign when you can bend them easily....).
I broke the already bent and 'seen better days' wing arms and was silly and kept driving it without a wing and I went off a jump and landed badly on the back shock tower - which now has a small bend in it. Not bad - could probably take it off and bend it back. But will look at replacing these also.
Hmmm now you mention it, the steering server does look messed up. I have just flipped the servo around but now my horn (which you said isn't right) doesn't fit. The head of the bolt that goes through the horn to the next link hits the top of the servo. I will look into a metal horn.

Also what do you mean "The rod ends on the ackerman side of the steering links are not the correct ends." ?

Cheers!
Hunt
The outer rod ends appear to be installed at the ackerman bar. The inner ends, which don't seem to be on your links at all. should be straight. See photo on my V3 K6.

20220502_161938.jpg

Last edited:
The outer rod ends appear to be installed at the bellcrank. The inner ends, which don't seem to be on your links at all. should be straight. See photo on my V3 K6.

View attachment 215166

Hmmmm I see - yeah it appears on mine they have used outer rod ends on the inners as well as the outers!

I have a set of "Arrma Ball Cups Composite: ARAC3070" on it's way so can change that rod end to the correct one. Good spotting!

Having a hard time finding a servo horn that's suitable and unfortunately I'm in New Zealand so anything overseas is usually 2-4 weeks.

Ugh the struggles of a dodgy second hand purchase.

Here's a better shot of my incorrect steering arm:

In regards to replacing the ZD shocks - I'm looking at buying stock.
Wondering if the EXB ones will fit without too much issue? They seem to be the same (or very similar) price to the standard 6S shocks.

Cheers.

They will.

edit:
...and here's the V4 and above links. They have ball ends that won't pop out. This is a Typhon set, the only difference is the rod length.

20220502_174558.jpg

20220502_174544.jpg

I can see why there might be a problem: the exploded view shows both ends the same and not like they should be.
Ah yes you're right - although the exploded view shows both ends are the straight (inner?) style and not the slightly offset outer stye. Weird!

Thanks for your help - pictures are very helpful!

Alot of inexpensive servos come with aluminum servo horns. Not sure what your situation is for products. Do y'all have Amazon in country?

Alot of inexpensive servos come with aluminum servo horns. Not sure what your situation is for products. Do y'all have Amazon in country?
Nope - there's Amazon.com.au in Australia (not the same country as New Zealand) which has 'some' stuff and shipping is a bit faster than amazon.com

A few hobby shops here have 'some' Arrma parts - very few have 'hop ups' or after market stuff. They all have to come from overseas (delayyyyyy)

Although I have finally found a small hobby shop here that has the servo horn! Awesome! Ordering through them now.

Curious as to the ball on the link that connects to the servo horn, the ball has a flat side. Does that go to the horn or to the head of the bolt? Also same for the other end of that arm that connects to the servo saver, does the flat side of the ball go against the other arm (servo saver) or to the head of the bolt?

Cheers!
Hunt

Nope - there's Amazon.com.au in Australia (not the same country as New Zealand) which has 'some' stuff and shipping is a bit faster than amazon.com

A few hobby shops here have 'some' Arrma parts - very few have 'hop ups' or after market stuff. They all have to come from overseas (delayyyyyy)

Although I have finally found a small hobby shop here that has the servo horn! Awesome! Ordering through them now.

Curious as to the ball on the link that connects to the servo horn, the ball has a flat side. Does that go to the horn or to the head of the bolt? Also same for the other end of that arm that connects to the servo saver, does the flat side of the ball go against the other arm (servo saver) or to the head of the bolt?

Cheers!
Hunt
This should work, only comes in a 2 pack though and I don't know what hole you need to use for the rod that connects to the bellcrank, just use which ever one keeps everything at the correct angles. https://www.amazon.com.au/ShareGoo-Steering-Compatible-Replacement-Off-Road/dp/B09MF54QMB/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SPT6AH7YKUTE&keywords=Hobbypark+Metal+Aluminum+25T+Servo+Horn&qid=1651561379&sprefix=hobbypark+metal+aluminum+25t+servo+horn,aps,106&sr=8-5

I though they had a flat on both sides of the ball. As long as it doesn't bind it shouldn't matter. Pics for reference.
20220422_131605.jpg
20220414_201908.jpg
20220422_131503.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back