Kraton v5 abysmal turning radius. Did I cause this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you guys. I swapped out the 1million in the rear for some 10k. Didn't get a chance to test is out yet. If this doesn't help I'll look into the servo saver and servo.
On the servo saver these companies cut corners no matter how much we pay that they are so cheap and unnoticeable until you see the white powder from your steering servo. The white bushings in the servo saver should be replaced with bearings. Wheels will turn better even not moving and will help the saver and servo last longer. This is why people always complain about servos. That plastic on plastic grinds, bearings don't. So in my opinion has worked for me and not replacing a servo for up to$100 when the bearings are $5 tops and a little work. Imo. Just found out the hard way with a traxxas rustler 4x4 xl5 while upgrading was replacing my servo saver and found white powder from plastic bushings on plastic poles. Even ohh n the diagram in the manual showed part # and it was a bearing that goes there. Do they purposely do this to have us spend more money replacing things not broke and never notice because even the new savers come with bushings. So I change that first for steering and trying to figure out how to set the endpoints on it. No videos or in manual.
The kraton v5 and exb have switched the plastic bushings out for brass ones. 😀 I also greased those bushings when I had it apart. Bearings would still be better. Also, the Traxxas VXL editions do come with bearings while the cheaper XL5 comes with white plastic bushings.

Last edited:
Kraton V4:
Front: 50k, Middle 200k, Rear 20k.
On loose sand the rear spins around nicely without using much power. That is on 4s.
On 6s you will want to care choose a lower center oil or take down the punch of the ESC if you do not want to land on your back all the time if you accelerate on a grippy surface.
30K Front, 300K Middle and 50K Rear - I did not like the handling. Just did not feel right to me. Also did not like the turning radius.

On 6s the 300K center seems to much for bashing. But then I use the Notorious backflip tires, think they don't balloon as much anyway.

The Kraton has an insane amount of power. On 6S and too thick rear oil or center oil the rear and center differentials have to take a lot of energy. That results in the rear diff breaking teeth too soon. Especially when jumping. The center diff holds up pretty well. So you want some of the energy to be led to the wheel with the least resistance. So the thick oils are not helping. The thick oil in the rear is preventing the inner rear wheel from going slower and the outer rear wheel from going faster. The result is a large turning radius. Same with the 100K in front.

Last edited:
You can also get the V3 servo saver hub for a few bucks and swap out the nonadjustable V4 - this will allow you to tune the servo saver easier than using clips. Part number is AR340065.

Alternatively there is also the Hot Racing tube with clamping adjuster nut that comes with the spring - part number AON48A02.
Those look interesting. Do have experience with one of them?

I have experience with the Arrma hub. I had already purchased a bunch of EXB springs and was going to swap them out on my V4 hubs but then realized the V3 adjustable hub was available and purchased those to go with the EXB springs. Others have purchased the HR setup and claim the spring that comes with it is pretty stiff. I suppose the advantage of the HR hub is the locking via the screw but I used some thread locker on my Arrma hubs and never had a problem with it loosening.

Duperdash is the #1 basher, but he doesn't do much hard cornering. His videos are big jumps and high speed straight line over rough terrain, his rigs are set up for this. His setup may not be the one to follow for tight turning radius. His Granite may land big jumps well, but mine corners better.
This is critical advice. Look at other people's setups, but also look at how they drive and what they drive on. I don't charge toward ramps over and over as much as I like to rip around, so turning is very important to me. I know I can't copy Rick's setup and expect to be happy with it. Excellent post.

I did a full HR parts swap on steering for my Kraton EXB. It was night and day. Fixed my lazy steering right up and added needed adjustability to the servo saver.

I have 500k in my center diff, 30k up front and 10k in the rear. My Kraton v4 turns on a dime and never diffs out. I have thought about silicone earplugs for slightly increased in-air control of roatation.

I've finally gotten my K6s v5 running, and yes, the turning radius is ridiculous. My endpoints are set up, S/R 100%, and trims at zero.

I was trying to follow along in the thread, but there was no consensus. I'm running the stock servo saver, and 20k/100k/20k in the diffs. It reads like the diff oil is not the issue, but rather the servo saver.

So what's a good fix? Replace bushings with bearings? Preload the spring on the servo saver? Replace the saver?

I'm pretty disappointed with the turning performance of this beast. Hope to have this remedied without necessarily replacing bits. 🤷‍♂️

I've finally gotten my K6s v5 running, and yes, the turning radius is ridiculous. My endpoints are set up, S/R 100%, and trims at zero.

I was trying to follow along in the thread, but there was no consensus. I'm running the stock servo saver, and 20k/100k/20k in the diffs. It reads like the diff oil is not the issue, but rather the servo saver.

So what's a good fix? Replace bushings with bearings? Preload the spring on the servo saver? Replace the saver?

I'm pretty disappointed with the turning performance of this beast. Hope to have this remedied without necessarily replacing bits. 🤷‍♂️
As i've written here, it can come from the servo, the SS, or play in the steering system. first understand where is the problem.

Like this 👌
20210213_123032.jpg

Definitely replace the bushings with sealed bearings. As much as we pay for these things and they can't put the smallest bearing in it. Causes rubbing and deterioration after time. In the manual In little print on page with servo saver and front components at the bottom it recommends that you replace with bearings??? Really. 🤔

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back