Kraton Kraton V5 ESC cuts out when turning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmanor88

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
My Kraton is doing something weird. Most times it'll power on normally, but when I turn right the ESC will power off, leaving only the fans running at about half speed. Release the steering and it will go through the startup sequence. Throttle does not seem to affect it as it moves forward and backward.

Also, if I just physically turn the wheels (not the controller) it will do the same low power/esc shut off thing.

There are also times that it won't even start up, just go right into the fans only mode. I'll shut it off, restart, and it may or may not go into full power mode.

Should note, I added the Yeah Racing fans to the motor, but they worked well for a month and a half.

I would appreciate any thoughts as I'm at a loss. I bought the truck maybe two to three months ago, so it should still be under warranty.

I can post a video of needed.

Solution
My Kraton is doing something weird. Most times it'll power on normally, but when I turn right the ESC will power off, leaving only the fans running at about half speed. Release the steering and it will go through the startup sequence. Throttle does not seem to affect it as it moves forward and backward.

Also, if I just physically turn the wheels (not the controller) it will do the same low power/esc shut off thing.

There are also times that it won't even start up, just go right into the fans only mode. I'll shut it off, restart, and it may or may not go into full power mode.

Should note, I added the Yeah Racing fans to the motor, but they worked well for a month and a half.

I would appreciate any thoughts as I'm at a loss. I...

I would appreciate any thoughts as I'm at a loss. I bought the truck maybe two to three months ago, so it should still be under warranty.

You have a dead steering servo, call horizon hobby, or use their live chat feature on their website and they will send you out a new one.

Solution
I agree with @leroychurchill sounds like your servo is done and it's causing your ESC to glitch. As said above contact Horizon they should take care of you, and yes Arrma has a 2 year warranty you'll just need to show proof of purchase and they may ask for video of the issue happening.

Yeah I agree with @leroychurchill to make sure that’s your problem unplug your servo and start up your car then if it goes then problem solved btw would not recommend getting same servo as stock it’s trash but ask around some cheaper servos are super good like ecopowers

Simple, don't turn. Steering is for noobs. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: HH should cover it.

BTW this is a great servo. You will need a 25T servo saver though.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about the 3s line lol. My bad.

Last edited:
Are your steering end points set correctly in the radio? My steering travel was WAY too much out of the box. That may cause your servo to draw a large current and brown out the ESC BEC?

If this were the case it should only happen once the steering bound. ie. not with only slight steering input. I think the point it binds is the lower side of the Ackerman bolts on the diff case?

You should be able to set the end points in the radio programming if this is the case.

edit... Read a bit hastily, and considering it’s doing the same thing when turning by hand etc it could have a number of other possibilities in addition to other’s suggestions (re the servo) above.

Your ESC BEC could be faulty. Or your fans could be drawing more current for some reason and overloading the BEC too. Unlikely, but easy to unplug the fans and eliminate them as a cause early on. Would still pay to confirm endpoints as that can start a bunch of problems like this (burnt out servos / BECs etc).

Last edited:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Back