Kraton Kraton v5 front bulkhead cover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know of any thread links speaking of lsd diff oils please.... im just curious.... to know if I want to change over .... all this diff talk has me on the fence of staying stock or moving to the lsd ...

For my preference the 60k front and rear wasn't thick enough ... so maybe the lsd is what I need
Also can you burn diff oil ? When I opened my centre diff it smelt burnt ...

The problem with ebay is the shipping, im in south Africa ... if the seller ships through the post its going to take forever to come and sometimes shipping makes the product not worth it if it's through a third-party... I usually only buy things on Amazon as they ship fairly quickly and if I have any issues they refund no stress .
Silicone oil doesn't burn per se, but high temps will turn it into a smelly black Tar. From experience.... I completely melted a 6s center diff. A Molten lump of gears,sticky tar and plastic. Gears melted right through the case cup. Rig was a mess to clean up

Mmmmm….
Your bulkhead cover wouldn’t be the cause of your gears stripping. What happens to the cover? Can you post a picture of the damage?
Your diff may not be shimmed properly to sit in the bulkhead, any side to side movement is undesirable. I’m too lazy to look at the exploded view……is there a shim that is supposed to sit outside the bearing on the ring gear side?
There is a shim there and the side to side movement is something I have had a look at To be honest ... ive made sure to shim up all my diffs in my felony and kraton where needed ....

What about shimming the internal gears .?

Are they something that need shimming

The only shimming in the internals should be under both sun gears. Stock diffs loosen up and shims wear over time so these shims need replacement and sometimes an additional shim to make up for diff cup wear.
Of course, there are shims behind the planetaries but these usually stay in good shape.

The internal Satellite and Suns gears are best using the Mugen Seiki hardened spring steel diff shim set. Part # E0206. One kit will do all 3 diffs.
The stocker shims are soft, crush, deform and wear out easily, gear alignment suffers, diffs wear out faster. When rebuilding, the stocker shims are usually all bricked and need to be replaced. Use the Mugens instead. Diffs will become much more durable, last way longer, along with the proper oils. Again stock oils are just too thin FWIW.
The Mugen's keep the gears' aligned way longer, hardly wear out between several rebuilds. The Mugen "Sun" gear shims/washers also have a wider diameter that matches the Sun gears diameter. So the Sun gear will not rock, like the smaller stock shims allow. Hence, this also prevents the Sun gear's retaining Pin from snapping. This is one weak link in the stock Open diff setup with these RTR 6s Arrma's .

Last edited:
The internal Satellite and Suns gears are best using the Mugen Seiki hardened spring steel diff shim set. Part # E0206. One kit will do all 3 diffs.
The stocker shims are soft, crush, deform and wear out easily, gear alignment suffers, diffs wear out faster. When rebuilding, the stocker shims are usually all bricked and need to be replaced. Use the Mugens instead. Diffs will become much more durable, last way longer, along with the proper oils. Again stock oils are just too thin FWIW.
The Mugen's keep the gears' aligned way longer, hardly wear out between several rebuilds. The Mugen "Sun" gear shims/washers also have a wider diameter that matches the Sun gears diameter. So the Sun gear will not rock, like the smaller stock shims allow. This also prevents the Sun gear's retaining Pin from snapping. This is one weak link in the stock Open diff setup with these RTR Arrmas .
I am only asking because I thought these arrma shims were designed for that specific reason, to fit under same diameter sun gear?? The ring looking one. It's what I currently have in my K6 exb and no problems. As far as longevity I have no idea but those specific ones are THICK! The black thin ones are the weak ones for sure.

Screen Shot 2022-12-22 at 11.50.57 AM.png

EXB 29mm "LSD" diffs are setup differently. I know what you are saying. Your pix above looks like the EXB "Open" shim Option set. To make the diffs from LSD to Open config. Is that what is pix above?
I was referring to "Open" standard V5 RTR diffs. ( all Non EXB diffs)

EXB "LSD" diffs are setup differently. I know what you are saying.
I was referring to "Open" standard V5 RTR diffs. ( all Non EXB diffsmine.
oh. I only have lsd on the front.

That' ok, just be mindful of the differences between 29mm LSD Diffs and Standard RTR Open diffs. They are two way different animals.

Last edited:
That' ok, just be mindful of the differences between 29mm LSD Diffs and Standard RTR Open diffs.
Thanks, hope it didn't sound contradictory. I certainly didn't mean for it to.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back