Kraton Kraton vs. Fazon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ianscott77

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Talion
I'm about to purchase my first Arrma and found two pre-owned options available. The first is a 1 month old V2 Kraton with around 10-15 runs on it for around $325. The other is a Fazon with 5 minutes run time for around $425. I'm aware of the litigation surrounding the Traxxas lawsuit and the Nero/Fazon models. Any help on which direction to go and why is much appreciated.

Kraton HANDS DOWN! of course I do not own a Fazon, but just looking at all the "features" on the Fazon is enough for me. The Kraton is a super simple design that is tough as nails. Less to go wrong on the Kraton. Also you will have $100 left over to buy an aluminum Servo Mount and some aluminum chassis braces. The kraton is lighter, making it easier to and the big jumps. Oh yeah, in case I didn't mention it. BUY THE KRATON.

Kraton HANDS DOWN! of course I do not own a Fazon, but just looking at all the "features" on the Fazon is enough for me. The Kraton is a super simple design that is tough as nails. Less to go wrong on the Kraton. Also you will have $100 left over to buy an aluminum Servo Mount and some aluminum chassis braces. The kraton is lighter, making it easier to and the big jumps. Oh yeah, in case I didn't mention it. BUY THE KRATON.
Thank you - I appreciate the guidance!

Wait a bit and buy a v3 (4mm shocks/ Outcast battery tray/ Stronger chassis braces/ stonger servo mount).

Most of the weaknesses on the Talion/ Kraton seem to have been taken care of, further increasing the outstanding value represented by the Kraton platform.

The Nero platform used by the Fazon seems to have some inherent weaknesses that IMO are unacceptable on such an expensive truck.

I picked up my V2 Kraton (pre-owned) last night. It's in good shape overall, so I thought $300 was worth it. Overall it exceeds my expectations...it's a beast. It tore through the wet grass and handled the new bmx jumps I bought with ease. My neighbor, a Traxxas fanboy, had 3 fixes to his Slash and Stampede inside of the 30 mins that we ran. I hope to convert him to an Arrma fan.

I did notice the servo seems a bit unresponsive, so I'm not sure if that's how a 1/8th scale drives (compared to my brushless Stampede) or if it needs to be replaced. It doesn't like to return. It also has a little delay from when I make the adjustment on the transmitter to the action on road. Again, I'm new to a bigger and heavier rig, so that may just be the way it is.

I can't wait to find some interesting terrain and let this thing loose.

Kraton.JPG

That’s a clean looking rig for $300. I would say you scored.

The Servo is a weak link in the kraton. You can buy replacement stock servos for about $20 on Ebay. However there are several threads here regarding better servos. For less than $100 you can get a SAVOX that will put out 2x the torque 50% faster than the stock servo has. I went with the Savox 12 10 SG, because it is water proof. Now I wish I had not gotten the waterproofing, as I justdon’t live somewhere that gets all that much rain. And even if I do drive in the rain, it’ll just be on wet asphalt, and even non-waterproof servos can handle that.

If you care, this is a good deal on a light weight 6s battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVUPI52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Servo is a weak link in the kraton. You can buy replacement stock servos for about $20 on Ebay. However there are several threads here regarding better servos. For less than $100 you can get a SAVOX that will put out 2x the torque 50% faster than the stock servo has. I went with the Savox 12 10 SG, because it is water proof. Now I wish I had not gotten the waterproofing, as I justdon’t live somewhere that gets all that much rain. And even if I do drive in the rain, it’ll just be on wet asphalt, and even non-waterproof servos can handle that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVUPI52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I checked it over really well. It was super clean on the inside, and the body had minor scuffs. The tires are a little beat up, but that's to be expected. He said 15-20 packs through it, and given how tough these things are, I figured $300 was a good buy. I may upgrade to Pro-Lines but I'm not 100% sure which, I think Badlands would be the right way to go. I'll check the battery as I only have two 2S batteries, and 1 3S. I was considering getting another $30 3S batter and pair it with the one I have. Either way I'm glad I made the decision.

Yeah, the stock AD15 servo is weak on 6.0v. I have a Savox 2270SG in my Kraton. As to the Waterproof, min is not spec'ed as such, but has been under water a few times. :)

Also, even with a better servo, the servo saver needs to be tightened down a bit to rotate those huge tires. Adjusting it involves (truck powered on) steering right, inserting an allen key into the hole in the bottom of the chassis to stop the nut from turning, steering left, remove wrench, repeat. I forget which direction tightens / loosens, though. You want the nut to be about 3-4mm off the chassis. If it is 1-2mm off the chassis, the wheels won't turn much when the truck is sitting still, or at full power. At least, I need that gap on my V1.

I own em both too and if I could only have one it would be definitely the fazon.
Kraton has diff-outpost-issues + diff issues
I have both, if I could only have one, it would be the Kraton.
-c

I paid $120 for Hit ch one and it was well worth it

Attachments

• IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    239.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_3233.JPG
    IMG_3233.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    373.8 KB · Views: 56
Perfect, thanks for the help. I see you have a Slash in the photo. How would you compare your Kraton to the Slash?
The slash is good i bought it for my little guy.
I feel that it needs a wider tire when you play on the grass fields. Cuz sometimes if flips (like those ford explorers back then ). But on sand and gravel its perfect.

Yeah
Stables consist of

X01 with upgraded motor n parts
Kraton
Stampede (picking it up today with new motor)
Slash

The Saga continues. Now I found a Nero that I want. Anyone have a view how that compares to the Kraton? Is the Nero basically the Fazon?
Sorry if this is totally basic questioning...

I thnk the Nero was just discontinued due to that Traxxas Lawsuit. Unless you are already invested in one, I would leave it. Also More complicated and heavier.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back