Kraton Kraton with Mamba Monster X8S Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauerland

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I'm 27 and live in Munich Germany. Sorry for my bad English. :)

I bought an Arrma Kraton 6S BLX last year after some upgrades and lots of Turns with 6S my Car electronics blew up. Now I want to upgrade it.
I already bought a Mamba Monster X8S Brushless Combo with the 1717-1260KV. Not really intellegent to buy before inform. :/

Now to my question:
I have no idea how to mount the esc in my Kraton. Did anyone made this project before. This evening I will visit a friend who has a 3D printer. Can anyone give me Tipps how to mount it right. Or does someone did this before. I want to drive 8S sometimes but more 6S if it's fast enough.

Wish you all a nice bash day and thanks for answers and ideas!

IMG-20210830-WA0028.jpeg

IMG-20210830-WA0023.jpeg

IMG-20210830-WA0022.jpeg

Just use a heavy duty 2 sided tape to hold it down, I converted one of my other cars from 4s to 6s with a castle set up. I’ve been using the 2 sided 3M tape in it for months, the battery has flown out of it but the ESC is still in place.

Yup just clean the esc tray with alcohol and the esc bottom, and use either some real good double side tape like 3m, or some duralock/ good Velcro to hold it in place. If you need to trim the esc tray a little bit it’s ok to trim the little ridge on the motor side of it. I did on my exb to fit the max6. If you really want to screw it down I believe that there are holes on the esc you could drill the esc tray to match and add screws, but I’d use double tape as well as screws anyway lol 😂 screws can rip out lol 😂. Anyway good luck and Welcome to the forum

Thank you for the answers, double side tape is the solution. I will use UHU Extrem!

I will send new information when it's rdy to bash.

yup, i use 3m double sided tape and it works great, will not come off unless pried off. i run the 1650kv on 6s and its a monster. Too much power.

I have outcast plastic sides on my Kraton 6S blx and had to cut a chunk out because the edge of the esc goes out too far

So back in buisness,
Today i testet the engine with the ESC seperated from the car. Now I'l need an pinion gear. Can somebody please recomment one?

First i would like to drive the car with 6S. The engine has 1717kv-1260, don't now whats the real RPM the maximum with 33,6Volt is 56k RPM.
And i can not find out with tooth i need, these "dp" numbers tell me nothing. ^^ Unfortunally the 16 tooth pinion gear form the Felony doesn't fit o_O?

Maybe i should by one with 16t, 20, and 24t what do you think?

@Snackers can you send me a Picture how it looks/fit?

Btw i will order the 3M Stuff ^^

Thank you again and have a nice morning? In Germany its 9:04pm right now.

Good night!

Rpm is the kv x the voltage so 1260kv x 33v= 41,480rpm
Pinions are usually 5mm or 8mm shaft sizes depending on the motors shaft diameter. and there mod1 on Arrma
I would try like 18t-20t on 6s and start at like 15t on 8s you can usually get a set of pinions from someplace like Amazon that are like 4 or 5 pinion sets with 15,16,17,18,19t, or like 20,21,22,23t
39CA7DC7-E6ED-4010-8091-0E496AD7F3D5.png
DC45CEDC-6442-43B3-9E0F-DE9184903C97.png

that’s my opinion lol 😂
You can always go up if all your temps are good and stuff

So back in buisness,
Today i testet the engine with the ESC seperated from the car. Now I'l need an pinion gear. Can somebody please recomment one?

First i would like to drive the car with 6S. The engine has 1717kv-1260, don't now whats the real RPM the maximum with 33,6Volt is 56k RPM.
And i can not find out with tooth i need, these "dp" numbers tell me nothing. ^^ Unfortunally the 16 tooth pinion gear form the Felony doesn't fit o_O?

Good night!
I will post some pictures in a few hours when i get home

So back in buisness,

Good night!
The first photo the side cover is removed to show how far the mmx8s sticks out, second and third show how it was just a couple mm’s too long so I cut a box shape out the size of the esc and then taped it up so there wasn’t a big hole. Worked out well, the driveshafts have just enough room to spin without hitting the esc. The motor is the new castle sensored 1520 1650kv 8s motor with 4 heat sinks and 2 fans. It and the esc stays so cool that I was able to swap the 50t for the 46t spur and up to 30t pinion. I keep it around 20t pinion for bashing and max temps around 145F-155F

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Short question, where did you get the energy for the vents on the engine? An wich cooler is it. I want to mount one too. Funny thing, I mounted the esc 180° turned xD
I used a part of the body to guard the enginecables. Cool thing the original guard on the chassis still fits perfectly.
Now I only need 8S Lipo, fix some wiring issues and I am ready to send it. Most time I drive on gras in the Olympiapark in Munich. There are big long hops. If someone is in Munich we can bash around :)!!!
Unfortunately my ESC does not brake, it changes directly into revers gear. The drivers guide Homepage from castle does not work. 404 manual :p

PS: With 6s and 20tooth pinion it's way to slow :(
IMG_20210908_200708.jpg
IMG-20210910-WA0005.jpeg

If you chose the 1717 1260kv that would be why even a 20t pinion is slow. imho you should use the 1717 1650kv so you don't have to gear to the moon. unless there is a certain reason youre using that motor.

I would go with a 24T minimum on 6S. Also turn the ESC 90 degrees so the motor wires are towards the rear, lipo wires towards the front. Make sure you clear the pinion and center driveshafts. I like mine tight to the servo mount so it doesn’t have room to slide forward when landing.

Hello,
So little update. I will test the mounting like this. Hopefully the 3M VHB 5925F (strongest of all 3M double sided Tape? will last long. Actually I mounted the 22th Pinion. It's the biggest I have.
Problem with reverse is solved needed to change direction on my radio and the direction of the esc/motor.
Can you recommend some heatsinks for the engine?

Hello,
So little update. I will test the mounting like this. Hopefully the 3M VHB 5925F (strongest of all 3M double sided Tape? will last long. Actually I mounted the 22th Pinion. It's the biggest I have.
Problem with reverse is solved needed to change direction on my radio and the direction of the esc/motor.
Can you recommend some heatsinks for the engine?
I used Yeah Racing 4074 heat sink and 2 30mm heatsink/fans powered with a splitter that plugs into single port of the reciever. And my motor Mount is also a heatsink. I’m sure they make bigger ones for 1717’s and larger. I found all my parts on Amazon

Here is my setup and it works great. Rotate ESC and use 3M tape trimming it to the size of the plate underneath exactly where you want it to sit. Outline it on the plastic with a pencil then cut tape to fit shape. I’m using the 1520 motor but had a failure in it so sending it back for warranty and asked to get 1717 1650kv as a replacement if they will do it. I also am using the 20tooth pinion and it is a beast.

673B3F86-54CE-47B8-8452-34EE0C8C5903.jpeg

How I did mine. The fan on my motor broke so I need to replace it that’s why it’s missing but that’s the power hobby clamp I used for it.

76805398-9F9F-41AF-B195-62618809BB11.jpeg

Hello everybody,
I'm 27 and live in Munich Germany. Sorry for my bad English. :)

I bought an Arrma Kraton 6S BLX last year after some upgrades and lots of Turns with 6S my Car electronics blew up. Now I want to upgrade it.
I already bought a Mamba Monster X8S Brushless Combo with the 1717-1260KV. Not really intellegent to buy before inform. :/

Now to my question:
I have no idea how to mount the esc in my Kraton. Did anyone made this project before. This evening I will visit a friend who has a 3D printer. Can anyone give me Tipps how to mount it right. Or does someone did this before. I want to drive 8S sometimes but more 6S if it's fast enough.

Wish you all a nice bash day and thanks for answers and ideas!

View attachment 167001

View attachment 167002

View attachment 167003
Pretty much same answer as everyone has laready said. A good solid two way tape. Will need to shave a small lip in the esc mounting plate if I remember correctly.
kraton2.jpg
kraton3.jpg

Just noticed I'm a little late to the party. sorry. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back