Kraton Kraton with Trenchers overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas90

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion
Hii guys

I have some questions..
I have a kraton and till today runned on small tires...so today i bought the proline trenchers...loaded up the 6s and went for a drive...
The first 15min were great no issues nothing.. after that my esc stalled so i thought poop did it brake..but is was just hot..turned my esc ( max8) off waited 15mins and turned it on again and after like 10 to 15min it stalled on me again..so i just need to gear it down i think? I have the stock pinion are there smaller ones i can use? Because i don't want my car te get so hot till the point were it turns off

Need help :)

Do you have a temperature gun to take readings? If so what was the ESC up to when it shut off?

Do you have a temperature gun to take readings? If so what was the ESC up to when it shut off?

No i haven't got one yet...im gonna look for one soon as possible...the motor has a single yeah racing heatsink and fan on it, and was not that hot. ( could easily hold my fingers on it) so its only the esc that gets too hot

Ah, yes they're very helpful in circumstances such as this and relatively cheep ($10-20).
What size pinion?
...also, have you verified that the fan on the ESC is working as it should?

No i haven't got one yet...im gonna look for one soon as possible...the motor has a single yeah racing heatsink and fan on it, and was not that hot. ( could easily hold my fingers on it) so its only the esc that gets too hot

My work sells them for $25 bucks any autozone will have them.

Attachments

• 15688298354538412986626305019171.jpg
    15688298354538412986626305019171.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 15688298683936381454581070268710.jpg
    15688298683936381454581070268710.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 31
Ah, yes they're very helpful in circumstances such as this and relatively cheep ($10-20).
What size pinion?
...also, have you verified that the fan on the ESC is working as it should?

Theyre a must have in this hobby yes haha...

Im running the stock pinion now..i believe thats 12tooth? Correct me if im wrong...yes the fan is working perfect
So my guess was too prevent overheating too gear it down a bit but how much is were i need the help :)

That's what's confusing... you shouldn't be going into thermal on the ESC (especially with the max8) running a 12t. If anything the added rotational weight should be increasing the temperature of the motor to a higher degree than the ESC.
Dropping pinion size is an option but it sounds like the motor is pretty cool with the 12t as it sits. Tekno makes an 11t mod1 pinion but I think that's the smallest they make.
I think @olds97_lss has a very similar setup so I'd love his input on the likely culprit on this one

That's what's confusing... you shouldn't be going into thermal on the ESC (especially with the max8) running a 12t. If anything the added rotational weight should be increasing the temperature of the motor to a higher degree than the ESC.
Dropping pinion size is an option but it sounds like the motor is pretty cool with the 12t as it sits. Tekno makes an 11t mod1 pinion but I think that's the smallest they make.
I think @olds97_lss has a very similar setup so I'd love his input on the likely culprit on this one

Hmmmm time too dig in and make sure..ill tear it apart tommorow and find out..maby the previouse owner changed it too a bigger one ill report back when i know more :D thnx

Are you running the trencher 3.8's or the trencher x's?

I run the standard 3.8's on my outcast with a 13T pinion and HW motor fan. If I run pack after pack, it will overheat in the grass, but I can run pretty hard for 21-22 minutes (how long a pair of 6200mah packs last me) at my grass bmx track on a 75F degree day without stopping. It's a general mix of high/low speed running, but I usually only stop when I flip it. I find that using the throttle/brake to rock/flip causes things to heat up as well, so unless I'm really far away... I walk and flip it.

I got away with a 14T at the skate park, but as soon as I started running at the grass bmx, I would overheat 15 minutes in. With the speed it gets with a 13T, I could likely step down to a 12T and not miss the speed much while making it a bit easier on the esc/motor.

If I remember right, the X's are a bit heavier (.15oz over the normal trenchers), so it will put more of a load on things. Stock v2-3 kraton tires are 10.5oz, stock outcast are 12.5oz. Trencher 3.8's are 13.4oz and X's are 13.65oz. That's a lot of extra rotational mass over stock and a larger diameter as well.

I also run mine wrapped with kevlar string so they don't balloon, which likely eases the load a bit as well, at least with spooling up/braking in the air. Smaller diameter spins up/down easier.

Check your wheel bearings. You could have some string or something wrapped around the hubs causing drag/binding. That's something I have to check for periodically as a couple of the areas I run at have that weird grass/turf that was laid down with biodegradable mesh in it and that stuff gets wrapped up in things. Even long bits of grass get wrapped up in there as well.

One more thing I just thought of was to check your pinion to spur mesh. You don't want it too tight and should have a very small amount of wiggle between teeth when moving the spur gear by hand

When I installed my 3.8 #Trenchers I could not for the life of me keep the front end down from wheeling on 6s KRATON! I can’t stand Proline Trenchers to be honest and I have done a few runs on them ! I still think my go to off road tires are the dboots backflips in my personal opinion! For Street I don’t think your going to find a better tire then my HPI RACING Low Profile 17mm Tiers.

Attachments

• Just bash it shock tower.jpg
    Just bash it shock tower.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Thnx for all the usefull reply's guys i did some digging and found out the old owner put a 17t pinion in there...so i think it was over geared voor the trencher x soo what are you suggesting for pinion size? 14t or even lower? When everything is going to plan my ir thermometer should arrive in a few hours :)

Hobbystore has nothing..they only do traxxas -.- so have to order it haha ill order 2 one 14t and a 13t i think
They should have a Robinson Racing pinion. Hell, even a traxxas pinion would work.

Hello,
I am looking for some help to find a suitable fan for the motor of my Kraton 6s. Any reference or brand to buy?

Thanks

Hello,
I am looking for some help to find a suitable fan for the motor of my Kraton 6s. Any reference or brand to buy?

Thanks
I really like the Hobbywing Turbo fans (30mm) or the WTF 4010 Ultra High Speed (40mm) for fans. Don’t know if you need a heatsink too?

I used the Yeah Racing Black 1/8 Aluminum Motor Heat Sink W/ Dual Cooling Fans YA-0261BK for my Typhon 6S.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back