Kraton Kraton won't go

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crpowell67

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a kraton i put two 2s lipo's in it fully charged if I have it in the air it runs fine as soon as I set it down goes about a foot then stops I hear a spinning sound the motor still spins but something in the driveline is spinning I am pretty new so looking for opinions It is running a 1:8 sidewinder and 8th 2200kv motor
XizBc7r.jpg

I have a kraton i put two 2s LiPo's in it fully charged if I have it in the air it runs fine as soon as I set it down goes about a foot then stops I hear a spinning sound the motor still spins but something in the driveline is spinning I am pretty new so looking for opinions It is running a 1:8 sidewinder and 8th 2200kv motor
XizBc7r.jpg

I think your centerdiff is broken...mine sounded just like that :( put it on the ground without the chassi and see if pinion gear is spinning (the small gear in the red alu mount)

Last edited:
When it is on the ground and you are giving it throttle, what is the first component in your drivetrain (starting from your motor) that is not spinning? The whole drivetrain is visible, where does the spinning stop? Is the motor pinion spinning? The center diff? Center driveshafts? This right here should tell us what you should check.

Who did all the other work on your kraton ? Did you get it used and abused or did you own it from day one. ? You may want to open the diffs and take a look...there are small pins inside that could bust. They are a weak spot so maybe everything else is fine. Maybe you just need a new pin.

Last edited:
Who did all the other work on your kraton ? Did you get it used and abused or did you own it from day one. ? You may want to open the diffs and take a look...there are small pins inside that could bust. They are a weak spot so maybe everything else is fine. Maybe you just need a new pin.

I just got it on Monday used in a trade I will do as chalmene suggested and see what is spinning and what is not and go from there. probably take it all apart anyway to to check everything

One thing I noticed on my 1:10 scales I have had I had a little play between pinion and spur this seems to have none at all could this cause that to not run when on the ground

You need the proper gear mesh between your spur and pinion, you want to have it slightly loose. Back away the pinion from the spur so you feel slight play between the 2 gears. Nothing more or less. You got a pretty cool ride there....looks like it just needs a little TLC. I would clean it up real good and open up the diffs to get an evaluation of their health. Then just go over everything also. Get some 10k 50k 30K diff fluid, and whatever else parts you might need. As of now...you probably have to look inside all the diffs. It's a big dirty task but it's not bad if you lay out a towel and just take your time. Pay attention to the shims that may be used to get the proper ring and pinion mesh. There is a diff pin upgrade that you may know about. You can just make your own pins out of the proper size drill bits. Do a search for that.

Last edited:
@crpowell67 I would follow @chalmene's advice and see what's not spinning first. Being that you got this used and it looks a little abused, if it was me, I would probably go ahead anyways and reset the gear mesh to ensure it's correct as well as take out all three diffs and rebuild them by cleaning them inside and out and putting new oil in them. Also replace any gears in the diffs that look like they might need replacing.

If you do that you'll have yourself a solid drivetrain from the start and will pretty much eliminate any issues from that point.

I'm also a bit of a neat freak and like to keep my stuff clean so while you're rebuilding and setting the gear mesh. Now would also be a good time to spray the Kraton down with some 50/50 water and Simple Green cleaning solution and blowing off with a compressor or wiping down with an old rag or towel.

In the end you'd have a nice clean Kraton with a solid drivetrain. :D

One thing I will add - one issue I have with my Kraton -

As you check the drive line, if the pinion/spur is spinning, but only one drive shaft to the F/R is spinning, check the grub screw on the diff input cup for the spinning side. On my Kraton, the grub screw on the front diff input cup backs out about every 10th battery or so. when you re-tighten the screw, make sure you hit the flat on the diff pinion gear shaft. This is important, but easy to miss.

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back