Kraton KRATON XL need some final drivetrain & Suspention tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcaddic88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Limitless
  6. Kraton 8S
  7. Kraton 6s
  8. Kraton EXB
  9. Mojave EXB
  10. Notorious
  11. Outcast 8s
  12. Senton 3s
  13. Talion
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon 3s
  16. Vendetta
  17. Vorteks
The 6s Arrma line up is by far my favorite platform and over the past few years my fleet of 7 & 8th scale arrmas has really grown. As I have added models I have developed some duplication and overlap and some of my rigs I would probably set up differently tnow since I have a lot of similar rides.

So the plan is to take my V5 RTR Kraton, which I have only put a half dozen or so packs through and use it as the basis for a Kraton XL (mostly)EXB build. Then maybe make some power plant adjustments to some of the other rigs so I have more real world variety in the fleet

My 6s Arrma fleet consists of

Typhon

Notorious

Kraton RTR

Kraton EXB

Talon EXB

Mohave EXB

I also have a felony and limitless that don't factor In here and 2

Team Corraly’s that to some degree are close enough to add duplication, a Kronos and a Radix 6.

So here’s the plan and some items I could use some guidance on:

Parts on hand Im going to us with the Kraton RTR donor,

Mohave EXB braces, brace mounts, body posts, T2T brace.

I ordered the none EXB mohave bumper set (not sure if I am going to use them, have to look at fit with the body im using and most likely heavily modify, but Jenny’s had them cheap and it gives me something to work with.

Can Reeper Body (love the look of this one)

M2C front and rear driveshafts & tower brace

A few minor bits like metal center diff housing & bracket, etc

For electronics I picked up a Spectrum Firma 160 and 1250 KV motor from the 8s RTR’s but potentially could swap with the 4985 from the mohave, but I think I like the ability to run 8s on the lower KV motor that the HW’s higher KV makes less reliable to do.

I have a few servo options, I have a few of the better JX servo’s, the eco boost which I have had a lot of luck with and I just got in to try for the 1sr time the 7346 thats supposed to be a little better. If Im not happy with the performance in the Xl chassis I have a Better Savoy I can pull from my outcast, I just put it in a little while ago hoping to improve its poor turning radius under power, but it didnt make much improvement, so putting whatever I had in it before so I can use the Savoy in this build wouldn’t matter anyway.

1. My questions are mostly on EXB vs RTR parts. What else in the suspension is different in the EXB, I know the shocks are essentially the same, so I don't think I need to buy the EXB ones, is there anything like rod ends that are different I should order? I was thinking of ordering the M2C emulsion style caps and pistons kit, anyone have experience with these, so they make a noticeable difference?

1. Shock towers, am I correct the EXB and V5 are identical, so not much benefit other then the 7075 ones are stronger. I figure I would use the RTR ones and if I have an issue probably go with some M2c or other higher end ones. I don't recall if anyone used braces designed for the Mohave instead of Kraton, and if so is there any benefit, Im assuming it would possible require using the Mohave shocks also as there longer if I remember right. I wasnt sure what the consensus recommend and wanted to figure it out before upgrading shocks and towers
  2. Finally the Diffs. I’m probably going to order the EXB diffs but wanted opinions on alternate diff strategy seeing as I have 3 near new V5 diffs. Is it maybe better in the rear, wince Area now sets them up open anyway, for me to maybe use my RTR rear diff and instead just install the Arrma or another aluminum diff case? How about the front & rear diffs, swap for EXB, get aluminum case, something else or just keep RTR, Obviously I will shin whatever diffs go in, but would like to hear some recommendations and opinions here.
  3. Any other must have upgrades not listed here or alternate suggestions? I wan tit durable though I don't intend to do much jumping with this rig, though it should be strong enough to launch if the need arrises. I am looking for high power handling, stability at speed, staying planted while accelerating and to handle a wide variety of terrain. I am probably going to use a belted tire, since I want high speed stability on this one. I like the duratrax belted lockups or maybe the MX38’s.
Thanks all, Im about to start so would love feedback.

Since there’s no progress yet, Ill just post a pic of my current 6s rigs including the donor RTR and the pile of parts on my bench ready and waiting!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

tempImageclPwz2.png

tempImageeLO18W.png

Wow,he'll of a collection. I run mojave body on my kraton-mojave..rear shocks have been my biggest issue..need the Mojave towers for all the body mounting points,points on mo towers an k6 arms don't give ya much travel.. almost need 1/5 shocks.im currently running extended tekno shocks with HR gold & some other spring together.
Very durable basher.i beat on it.would think size an weight would cause breakage. Sees alot of action an is DIRTY

16358107049933594731163654202136.jpg

16358107659008928266648095191043.jpg

16358109824393147845866336848054.jpg

The 6s Arrma line up is by far my favorite platform and over the past few years my fleet of 7 & 8th scale arrmas has really grown. As I have added models I have developed some duplication and overlap and some of my rigs I would probably set up differently tnow since I have a lot of similar rides.

So the plan is to take my V5 RTR Kraton, which I have only put a half dozen or so packs through and use it as the basis for a Kraton XL (mostly)EXB build. Then maybe make some power plant adjustments to some of the other rigs so I have more real world variety in the fleet

My 6s Arrma fleet consists of

Typhon

Notorious

Kraton RTR

Kraton EXB

Talon EXB

Mohave EXB

I also have a felony and limitless that don't factor In here and 2

Team Corraly’s that to some degree are close enough to add duplication, a Kronos and a Radix 6.

So here’s the plan and some items I could use some guidance on:

Parts on hand Im going to us with the Kraton RTR donor,

Mohave EXB braces, brace mounts, body posts, T2T brace.

I ordered the none EXB mohave bumper set (not sure if I am going to use them, have to look at fit with the body im using and most likely heavily modify, but Jenny’s had them cheap and it gives me something to work with.

Can Reeper Body (love the look of this one)

M2C front and rear driveshafts & tower brace

A few minor bits like metal center diff housing & bracket, etc

For electronics I picked up a Spectrum Firma 160 and 1250 KV motor from the 8s RTR’s but potentially could swap with the 4985 from the mohave, but I think I like the ability to run 8s on the lower KV motor that the HW’s higher KV makes less reliable to do.

I have a few servo options, I have a few of the better JX servo’s, the eco boost which I have had a lot of luck with and I just got in to try for the 1sr time the 7346 thats supposed to be a little better. If Im not happy with the performance in the Xl chassis I have a Better Savoy I can pull from my outcast, I just put it in a little while ago hoping to improve its poor turning radius under power, but it didnt make much improvement, so putting whatever I had in it before so I can use the Savoy in this build wouldn’t matter anyway.

1. My questions are mostly on EXB vs RTR parts. What else in the suspension is different in the EXB, I know the shocks are essentially the same, so I don't think I need to buy the EXB ones, is there anything like rod ends that are different I should order? I was thinking of ordering the M2C emulsion style caps and pistons kit, anyone have experience with these, so they make a noticeable difference?

1. Shock towers, am I correct the EXB and V5 are identical, so not much benefit other then the 7075 ones are stronger. I figure I would use the RTR ones and if I have an issue probably go with some M2c or other higher end ones. I don't recall if anyone used braces designed for the Mohave instead of Kraton, and if so is there any benefit, Im assuming it would possible require using the Mohave shocks also as there longer if I remember right. I wasnt sure what the consensus recommend and wanted to figure it out before upgrading shocks and towers
  2. Finally the Diffs. I’m probably going to order the EXB diffs but wanted opinions on alternate diff strategy seeing as I have 3 near new V5 diffs. Is it maybe better in the rear, wince Area now sets them up open anyway, for me to maybe use my RTR rear diff and instead just install the Arrma or another aluminum diff case? How about the front & rear diffs, swap for EXB, get aluminum case, something else or just keep RTR, Obviously I will shin whatever diffs go in, but would like to hear some recommendations and opinions here.
  3. Any other must have upgrades not listed here or alternate suggestions? I wan tit durable though I don't intend to do much jumping with this rig, though it should be strong enough to launch if the need arrises. I am looking for high power handling, stability at speed, staying planted while accelerating and to handle a wide variety of terrain. I am probably going to use a belted tire, since I want high speed stability on this one. I like the duratrax belted lockups or maybe the MX38’s.
Thanks all, Im about to start so would love feedback.

Since there’s no progress yet, Ill just post a pic of my current 6s rigs including the donor RTR and the pile of parts on my bench ready and waiting!

Thanks everyone!!!!!

View attachment 177508

View attachment 177509
Where you get that Rc stand from

Thanks, a few questions if you don’t mind, first, are your towers kraton or Mohave now? And before the reckon shocks, dod you try Mohave shocks? Maybe I’m being dense and not seeing it because my only experience with the Mohave chassis is my EXB which I haven’t done much tinkering. but shouldn’t the kraton arms and towers have a similar stance to when there on the kraton, since the chassis is essentially similar only longer. I was thinking initially just going to a heavier shock oil, maybe a heavier spring, and increasing pre load would compensate for the added weight. Or is it Just a factor of the added forces acting on a longer chassis isn’t as easy to compensate. of The following which gets me closest, kraton v5 / EXB shocks snd towers, Mohave towers and shocks?
tgsnks, just trying to nail down some details before I start the build this week

I got to work tonight, stripped the Kraton RTR front & back bulkheads & suspension, and separated what I was keeping for the build and what goes into the parts drawers. I was surprised by the amount of dirt that had adhered to the rear arms and bulkhead after only a handful of runs, especially because I clean my rigs after running them pretty throughly...
I ordered a Tornador of amazon a few weeks ago, they use compressed air to move a agitator wheel spraying a small amount of degreaser which is blown off at the same time, I just started using it on my RC's and it made short work of the adhered on dirt leaving the arms looking like new thankfully, I like my rides clean!

tempImagedcrTkY.png

tempImage5fRQ25.png

tempImageqh9p7i.png

Everything went together like only Arrma can when swapping between platforms. Since all the chassis mount pieces for the Mohave came together with the EXB mounts from Jenny's, I can mix and match the standard Kraton 4 screw bumper / skids and the newer style 5 screw Mohave ones which will come in handy fitting the body I have, the Center Reeper. I played around with using parts of the huge Mohave skeletal rear and think ill wind up using part of it in the rear to mount the body mounts. In the front Im going to use a T-bone thats smaller then the Mohave one, it fits better with the Center Reepers more narrow front end. I mocked up the body to see how it lines up, seems like it will be pretty close. The body isnt as thick as the Arrma ones and its big, so I im going to try to use a combination of Kraton and Mohave support parts to give as much support to the body as possible. Ill also reinforce the body with drywall tape and shoe goo. I also have some plastic body skids I ordered to install on the body.
I installed the rear braces then remembered I have the M2C tower brace to put on.
I this today I will order the EXB Diffs and some M2C shock mounts and the emulsion shock pistons and caps. Hopefully I have this thing ready to maiden by the end of the week

Attachments

• tempImageGX3EQ5.png
    tempImageGX3EQ5.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I got to work tonight, stripped the Kraton RTR front & back bulkheads & suspension, and separated what I was keeping for the build and what goes into the parts drawers. I was surprised by the amount of dirt that had adhered to the rear arms and bulkhead after only a handful of runs, especially because I clean my rigs after running them pretty throughly...
I ordered a Tornador of amazon a few weeks ago, they use compressed air to move a agitator wheel spraying a small amount of degreaser which is blown off at the same time, I just started using it on my RC's and it made short work of the adhered on dirt leaving the arms looking like new thankfully, I like my rides clean!

View attachment 177607

View attachment 177608

View attachment 177609
Everything went together like only Arrma can when swapping between platforms. Since all the chassis mount pieces for the Mohave came together with the EXB mounts from Jenny's, I can mix and match the standard Kraton 4 screw bumper / skids and the newer style 5 screw Mohave ones which will come in handy fitting the body I have, the Center Reeper. I played around with using parts of the huge Mohave skeletal rear and think ill wind up using part of it in the rear to mount the body mounts. In the front Im going to use a T-bone thats smaller then the Mohave one, it fits better with the Center Reepers more narrow front end. I mocked up the body to see how it lines up, seems like it will be pretty close. The body isnt as thick as the Arrma ones and its big, so I im going to try to use a combination of Kraton and Mohave support parts to give as much support to the body as possible. Ill also reinforce the body with drywall tape and shoe goo. I also have some plastic body skids I ordered to install on the body.
I installed the rear braces then remembered I have the M2C tower brace to put on.
I this today I will order the EXB Diffs and some M2C shock mounts and the emulsion shock pistons and caps. Hopefully I have this thing ready to maiden by the end of the week
Can we get an update on this. Mainly wanted to see what you ended up with for body mounts as Im trying to mount a bigger body on my Kraton EXB roller

Can we get an update on this. Mainly wanted to see what you ended up with for body mounts as Im trying to mount a bigger body on my Kraton EXB roller
Imo the senton 6s body mounts are the most universal arrma mounts out there...basherqueen has this set...👍

Screenshot_20211122-164547_eBay.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back