Large motor chassis support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinC

Flyboy, Cat Hoarder, Tiger Tamer, Party Crasher.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Mojave EXB
  7. Talion
  8. Talion EXB
Hey Arrma nation.
You guys running large motors (HW 56113, etc), .....are you using any support system under the motor at or near the front to mitigate shaft bending?

In my case I have the M2C chassis, mounter mount, and large pinion slider. My tiny physics minded brain tells me the weight of the 56113 creates quite a large moment arm past the joint axis that is the motor mount. Other than getting a custom 3D printed arched support like the drawing below, what are some other options? Should I even be concerned?
667350BF-1158-405E-98FD-0C3CA59EEC11.jpeg

The M2C stuff is nice but the weak leak in the joint axis would now become the screws that mount from under the chassis and the sliding mount screws......just spitballing.......wanted to get a decent consensus and possible solutions.

cheers,
kev

Hey Arrma nation.
You guys running large motors (HW 56113, etc), .....are you using any support system under the motor at or near the front to mitigate shaft bending?

In my case I have the M2C chassis, mounter mount, and large pinion slider. My tiny physics minded brain tells me the weight of the 56113 creates quite a large moment arm past the joint axis that is the motor mount. Other than getting a custom 3D printed arched support like the drawing below, what are some other options? Should I even be concerned?
View attachment 93620

The M2C stuff is nice but the weak leak in the joint axis would now become the screws that mount from under the chassis and the sliding mount screws......just spitballing.......wanted to get a decent consensus and possible solutions.

cheers,
kev
I haven't used any sort of support. That's not a bad idea though ??

I know you send ‘em bro, high and long. Testament to the M2C bits and pieces.
Still, I’m freaked out about the weight of this motor. Bloody thing is heavy eh? Tossed the idea around of sticking those furniture felt like pads with the sticky on one side. Hillbilly fix but it may suffice.

I simply used a piece of some sort of very high density foam under the motor for the whole length.
I just mounted the motor to the center diff and placed the foam under the motor before mounting everything.
hope that helps
I've done this in my 6S Kraton when using the longer 4092 motor.

I simply used a piece of some sort of very high density foam under the motor for the whole length.
I just mounted the motor to the center diff and placed the foam under the motor before mounting everything.
hope that helps

Mmmmm......maybe the foam that comes with the 56113 motor.....it’s pretty dense. What foam did you use in particular?

cheers,
kev

Mmmmm......maybe the foam that comes with the 56113 motor.....it’s pretty dense. What foam did you use in particular?

cheers,
kev
That will work.

Crisis averted!
HW motor foam. Hope it doesn’t melt.

Gin, Curacao, and tonic in the Yeti. 32 C here today.
1157006E-F8FA-46F8-BF7A-23EAC11033F2.jpeg

Crisis averted!
HW motor foam. Hope it doesn’t melt.

Gin, Curacao, and tonic in the Yeti. 32 C here today.
View attachment 93721
Should see how much you can squeeze it with your fingers, if you can, it's probably too soft to help. I'm guessing anything short of solid rubber is going to be too soft to be any real benefit to the issue your trying to prevent.

I'm surprised it's not more of an issue really. You can take a stock motor/mount and squeeze down with your hand on the rear of the can to cause flex in the chassis and at the pinion. I have the HR mount (pre-v4 sliding) and M2C chassis on my outcast, can still flex things with my hands using the stock motor.

I think @Rich Duperbash uses a dense foam under his on his kraton with the 4092 in it. I guess if it survives what that guy does, everyone else should be pretty good. lol!

Hey Arrma nation.

View attachment 93620

cheers,
kev

I used kung flu chop sticks whittled to spec and CA glued to the chassis.

Hi guys,
this is old topic but I feel it is unfinished and Im trying to solve the motor support too.
So what do you guys use these days apart from the custom 3D print supports or a foam from the HW box?

I noticed there are some very nice technical rubbers, mainly the NBR kinds, that seems to have nice attributes:
  • heat resistance
  • impact and mechanical resistance
  • oil and petrol resistance
  • they sell them in like 1mm increments of thickness
Sounds great, anyone tested?

Hi guys,
this is old topic but I feel it is unfinished and Im trying to solve the motor support too.
So what do you guys use these days apart from the custom 3D print supports or a foam from the HW box?

I noticed there are some very nice technical rubbers, mainly the NBR kinds, that seems to have nice attributes:
  • heat resistance
  • impact and mechanical resistance
  • oil and petrol resistance
  • they sell them in like 1mm increments of thickness
Sounds great, anyone tested?
I use a piece of rubber gasket now that's double taped to the chassis. It doesn't "support" the motor, but give the motor something to bang into if the chassis/mount flexes that much.

Which reminds me... I forgot to put any on my kraton with the new m2c and 4985...

This was after running a 4092 on my outcast:
2021-0409-outcast-4092-ChassisImpactDent.jpg

Then I put this on it:
2021-0409-outcast-4092-ChassisProtectCushion.jpg

Hindsight, I only needed like the last inch of it on there just so I had enough for the double tape to hold well.

Hey Arrma nation.

View attachment 93620

cheers,
kev

M2C says this is on the list of upgrades for the future. They did say it’s a very long list. Lol

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back