Large Scale field racer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I looked at the Kraton, I couldn't imagine running it w/o a bumper. Something large & flexible enough to fend off large rocks that might otherwise smash up the body & shocks. As for the mesh, it's only good for keeping junk off the rear driveshaft but it also increases temps, more than I would like. I've been trying to design mud guards but even the 3-piece design for the 6s model won't work. I recently figured out that the truck can spit junk from behind the rear tires into the arm areas, (like how junk can end up being trapped inside the rear rims) so the mud guards are trapping even more junk behind them. So I'm kinda burnt out after trying 4 designs that all failed. It's easier to take the few seconds to brush out the junk when I'm done then to have to maneuver around mud guards with junk caked up behind them.

The braking problems with the DBXL comes from the lag of the transmitter & the brakes being set too low. I don't have any of that with the Tactic. 50% is the lowest I would go on it and the K8S.

Welcome to the forum @Nemesis3. I appreciate your succinctness and attempt to forgo any long term brand battles . Don't own anything as big as you're looking for, so can't comment. I'm afraid if I did, you'd see through it right away anyways. Good luck with your purchase, and we hope it's the K8S so we know you'll stick around.

I don’t have an xmaxx to throw away but I’m going to assume/translate that as a euphemistic strong recommendation for the DBXL or K8s.
I have one or 2 I could sell & one rdy for the bin. Every time I look at it, it seems to move closer to the can on the side on my bench. It won't fit but maybe it's trying to tell me something. Maybe I should huck them all & throw the cash in the 1/5 Arrma fund. At least it'll be well spent :LOL:

I don’t have an xmaxx to throw away but I’m going to assume/translate that as a euphemistic strong recommendation for the DBXL or K8s.
Xmaxx diffs are made of cheese. You don't want that is a big rig.

Welcome to the forum @Nemesis3. I appreciate your succinctness and attempt to forgo any long term brand battles . Don't own anything as big as you're looking for, so can't comment. I'm afraid if I did, you'd see through it right away anyways. Good luck with your purchase, and we hope it's the K8S so we know you'll stick around.

Thank you for the welcome and for the repost on these forums of the Jason Dearden post as that message needs to be said often and from especially from companies. I think you describing my post as such is one of a handful of times anyone has ever referred to me as succinct. In writing I usually err on the side of over explaining (and hope it don’t come across as bloviating/pontificating) in order to clarify as so often it seems miscommunication derails threads. There are lots of advantages in written communication but there is the loss of body language, inflection, etc. Just the look of understanding and recognition of your train of thought in the listeners eyes along with micro nods etc I believe is huge. It helps in knowing whether the other guy is with you in that you are trying to discuss a hobby vs thinks you are questioning his manhood and previously kicked his grandma. I hoped the disclaimer might at least point out that my post wasn’t coming from “rah rah brand x or poo poo brand y.”

Hi, new to the forum here, but an old R/C fan. I don't mean to thread jack, but I too, have been debating over the very same three cars, so I am very happy that I cam across this thread.

I used to have Tamiya R/C cars as a kid in the 80's, and recently discovered an R/C track not 10 minutes from my house (in the Bronx, NY nonetheless). I saw a re-release Tamiya (of what I used to have) on eBay and decided to buy it. I took it to the track and although it was fun, it was just not enough buggy for the track and broke in under 20 minutes. There were some 1/8th scale cars there too that also seemed to be having some trouble. If anyone is familiar with Westchester, NY, I would also be using the car on a grass athletic field in Yonkers, NY [Cooke Field] that is popular with R/C plane and helicopter/drone pilots.

So, now I that I got the R/C bug in me again, I decided that I would just get a 1/5th scale and be over and done with it.

From what I have read, it seems that the forum is leaning towards the Arrma, the OP (as well as other forum members) are leaning towards the Losi and just can't get over just how cool and big the DBXL e 2.0 is. I also am torn with exactly the same dilemma. I love the Kraton 8s, but I'm really impressed by the DBXL 2 and find myself unable to decide. That led light bar is pretty cool, too!

Megasty has made some really good points (as others) against the DBXL 2, and some great points about the Kraton 8S. Is the cooler body and bigger size of the DBXL 2 worth the extra expense and necessary radio swap and second steering servo and Dremel mods?

Nemesis3, what did you end up getting and how happy are you with your choice?

Last edited:
R/C_Fan!

I too, have been debating over the very same three cars, so I am very happy that I cam across this thread. From what I have read, it seems that the forum is leaning towards the Arrma, and the OP (as well as other forum members) are leaning towards the Losi and just can't get over just how cool and big the DBXL e 2.0 is. I also am torn with exactly the same dilemma. I love the Kraton 8s, but I'm really impressed by the DBXL 2 and find myself unable to decide.

Nemesis3, what did you end up getting and how happy are you with your choice?

If you are primarily looking for no modifications and straight line field/track/road racing the Losi will be the fastest out of the box.

For out of the box and you aren’t into upgrading and are primarily concerned with jumping you might be happy with a X-Maxx.

However if your track/usages involves quite a bit of turns the K8e handling will be better than the Losi’s and by far the X-Maxx. If you plan to do modifications then this is where the K8s shines. Upgrade the chassis and you have a very solid jumper. Upgrades to the gearing and/or motor and out of the box speed advantage of the Losi disappears.

I went with the Kraton 8s. I think the thread sums it up the differences between the three pretty well.

However there is a caveat. Remember this discussion was also a snapshot in time. At this point I can’t speak to the aftermarket support for chassis for the Losi nor of it has gotten the RCdude81 (if you haven’t check out his YouTube videos) treatment/testing like the K8s.

As for happy with my choice? Very. The K8s is very planted and I can and do take corners hard. While I have had a chance to roll several X-Maxxs trying to corner like I do with my K8s, I haven’t had the hands on with the Losi like many of the forum members here have on their repertoire. You know your usage scenario best and can describe it to us and also if you tend to/like to do a lot of modifications.

Hi Nemesis3,

I edited my post to be a bit more informative with my usage, but it appears you replied before it was changed on the servers. I probably should've proof read it before I posted... lol

Your reply, did however, bring up a great point, which is the aftermarket support. I'll check that out. As far as handling, that is a big concern. That, and running in tall grass.

How is the K8S in a grass field (like what I described in my first post). Also, did you go with the Spectrum batteries to get the telemetry/smart functions?

Thanks in advance!

I own the K8 and DBXL-2.0.
I love them both equally. I upped the pinion on the Losi to 18T and installed DGI hub extenders on it, now it very close to the K8 width.... a hair over 22 inches.
The K8 is sportier on the ramps, I would never try to backflip the Losi though.....but it does fly.....

shameless plug below.....

I have all three in this topic ( and recently the new SBR 2.0 ) . My fav is the K8S , it handles awesome and jumps the best and with the pinion changed to the 23 tooth , it is the fastest of the 3 now , but cold weather , land wrong , you're gonna break an arm or more . The DBXL-E lasts the least amount of time ( 18-20 min ) , handles awesome as well , but slides out to much as the tires do not grip like the K8S , flies awesome in the air but bottoms out way to easy . The Xmaxx is hands down awesome for a monster truck , durable , jumps well / soaks up the landing good , and lasts the longest of the 3 at about 45 minutes !!!!

GOPR0209.JPG

Really great info, guys! Being that Black Friday is right around the corner, I think that there might be a sale soon. Does anyone know of a good online retailer?

Also, is the telemetry function of the Spektrum batteries worth getting? or should I look for a battery with a higher mAh?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back