Kraton Largest reasonable motor on Spektrum 150a ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Just ordered an EXB. I have the spektrum 150a esc already and want to know what other motor sizes I can pair it with running on 6s? Stock is 4074. I could do that, but would be nice to have a little more oomph to haul around the extra EXB weight and not worry about overheating (have a fan/heatsink on the way as well). So could I keep temps in check when running a 4274? 4092? 4585? 55113??? (Okay, jk on that last one obviously)

4274 is the same as a 4074, it only has cooling fins (heatsink) and should run cooler.
I ran the Hobbywing Quicrun (the Spektrum is said to be a rebranded Quicrun) with a 4082 in my Mojave for a while before upgrading.
Going larger than 4082 with that esc is not recommended (overheating, cogging, or even more severe problems).
With a 4092 I would go at least Max8 or even better Max6.
The Max6 4985 combo is a absolute powerhouse in a Kraton. Some argue a 4092 1730kv is more driveable.
All depends what you like. After some time you’ll probably get used to the power anyway, whichever system you get and upgrade anyway🤣.

I appreciate the response. That's the reason I'm asking for these kind of experience responses. I mean the spektrum 8s esc is only 160a rated and can take all kind of larger motors. Logically to mean it wouldn't seem like an extra 10 amps shouldnt be what's making or breaking how the esc performs under heavier load. Yeah I get that it's rated for higher voltage. But amps kill, right?

So initially stick with the stock 4074? Or find a 7082? I will upgrade later, but can't drop the money on a max6 or mmx8s system right now.

Get the stock 2050kv Spektrum motor at Jennysrc.com for USD46. Sell the esc an motor combo later when you want to upgrade.
Don’t forget a heatsink with fan for the motor😉.

I've got the yeah racing twin fan/heatsink coming and a 14t pinion. Think I'll be good on temps? I mean people on YouTube use a 17t with the 4074 and don't have issues. That's hard for me to believe.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back