Learned about damaged LiPo's the hard way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fahd

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
First off - if those friggin batteries get damaged...get rid of them.

I bought a 6S pack and at the beginning of my second run, I damaged my Outcast pretty bad. (Made a thread about that here on the forums.) It wasn't long into that pack, so I took it out and had my brother try it in his Kraton because he'd never run 6S before. Somewhere along the line he landed upside down and it damaged the corner of the battery. Being a soft case, it tore away some of the outer casing away and exposed the foil. The foil was wrinkled a bit, but didn't look punctured. I brought the battery inside and put a storage charge on it (inside a LiPo bag), and then packed it away inside the ammo box. (I double up on my LiPo protection.)

A couple of days later I started researching LiPo damage online to see how much is too much. I'll admit; the only reason I was researching was because I was desperately looking for a reason NOT to toss out my $110 battery that only got ONE full run through my Outcast. Somewhere along the line while skimming over information, I saw something about "if there's a sweet smell coming from your battery, it's punctured and no longer safe to use." So I immediately retrieved my ammo box and upon opening it smelled this sweet smell. I took the LiPo bag out, opened it, and sniffed the battery. The smell was even stronger. Trying to convince myself the battery was bad and it was time to flush $100, I sniffed a couple more times before walking to the door in disgust and tossing it into the driveway. (I live WAY out in the woods, big driveway, no chance of catching stuff on fire.)

I then sat at the computer again and continued my research, including YouTube videos of batteries "exploding". This made me decide to go move the battery from the driveway into a snowbank, further away from the vehicles. (Me being over cautious.) When I went out, once again I had to sniff the battery to convince myself it was in fact punctured. The damage was so minimal, I couldn't believe it. The smell was still there, I put it on the snow bank and went inside.

Now it was time for bed, so I headed into the bedroom. Once in there, I sat on the edge of the bed and started to cough violently. One after another with some weird feeling in my throat. I took it as dry throat, downed some water and continued to cough. Eventually sleep took over because I was so tired.

I usually get up at 3AM for work, but at 2AM I woke up and I couldn't breathe. My throat was extremely sore, my chest hurt and it felt as though my airway had closed up tight. My voice was gone and my wife would barely understand what I was saying. I was also coughing pretty bad again. Because I have asthma I figured this was my problem, although it had never felt like this before. I took a nebulizer treatment and it did absolutely nothing. My inhaler did nothing. Things started to click and I did a google search for "inhaled LiPo fumes". This got me scared shitless. Earlier that night when I smelled the batteries I remembered people saying that punctured LiPo's would smell sweet, so I assumed it was ok to inhale the fumes as long as the pack didn't catch fire and emit smoke/flames/gasses. Incorrect.

I ended up getting in touch with my boss (who is fortunately my cousin) and telling him what happened, and that I was going to see if it would pass. I would either be late or not going in. My wife stayed up and listened to my breathing as I tried to sleep a little more. 2 hour later I got up and went to work. My breathing was a little better, my voice was coming back but still extremely hoarse, and my throat hurt. Within 12-14 hours of inhaling the fumes, almost all symptoms were gone and I was back to normal.

If your LiPo's are damaged, get rid of them.

You'll be fine, you did not see the walls melt, or any colored dots, or had pinhole vision.

Am glad you still will us... I guess the moral of story is not throw them away, but don't inhale battery fumes, they will not get you high, LOL!

You'll be fine, you did not see the walls melt, or any colored dots, or had pinhole vision.

Am glad you still will us... I guess the moral of story is not throw them away, but don't inhale battery fumes, they will not get you high, LOL!
That's full on bra !!! I need to get a bigger lipo bag big time !! Thanks for the reality check

That's full on bra !!! I need to get a bigger lipo bag big time !! Thanks for the reality check
It was some scary poop. I've had one more LiPo puff up since then (with less than 10 charges on it). Tossed that one in a hurry. No chances taken, and no more Onyx batteries for me.

Believe it or not, the best battery I've used so far is an HRB 6000mah 6s pack. Seems like it has more oomph than the Onyx did, and 0 problems so far.

It was some scary poop. I've had one more LiPo puff up since then (with less than 10 charges on it). Tossed that one in a hurry. No chances taken, and no more Onyx batteries for me.

Believe it or not, the best battery I've used so far is an HRB 6000mah 6s pack. Seems like it has more oomph than the Onyx did, and 0 problems so far.
I looked up that lipo looks like a Chinese produced one not hat that's a bad thing. How's it go ?? I think I might grab the basher 4000 mah 6s hardcase and give it a crack and c how it goes.
Cheep, light,hard case and grunty!!

I looked up that lipo looks like a Chinese produced one not hat that's a bad thing. How's it go ?? I think I might grab the basher 4000 mah 6s hardcase and give it a crack and c how it goes.
Cheep, light,hard case and grunty!!
Been working great for me. I have the 6S, and my brother has both a 6S and a 4S. No problems with any of them.

Been working great for me. I have the 6S, and my brother has both a 6S and a 4S. No problems with any of them.
They look sweet !! Is the 6s heavy ? Do you know what it weighs? I'm interested for sure :cool:

They look sweet !! Is the 6s heavy ? Do you know what it weighs? I'm interested for sure :cool:
A bit heavier than my previous 6S battery (Lectron Pro), but I don't notice any balancing problems while using it. Every jump in the video below was shot while using the HRB. You can see how smooth the truck rolls in the air while doing back flips, with very little help from tire rotation. (I like slow rolling back flips better than the punch-and-done.) You can hear the chassis slap though, noticeably more with this over 4S...which is to be expected. That's why my shocks are being upgraded this weekend. :)

If it doesn't rain too bad I'll get more videos using it with the Tekno springs.

A bit heavier than my previous 6S battery (Lectron Pro), but I don't notice any balancing problems while using it. Every jump in the video below was shot while using the HRB. You can see how smooth the truck rolls in the air while doing back flips, with very little help from tire rotation. (I like slow rolling back flips better than the punch-and-done.) You can hear the chassis slap though, noticeably more with this over 4S...which is to be expected. That's why my shocks are being upgraded this weekend. :)

If it doesn't rain too bad I'll get more videos using it with the Tekno springs.

I love that dirt mound ! I need one of them in my front yard. Your right she seems to be balanced in the air. Cool vid bra love that poop !!!!
Still undesided on which 6s to go for thanks

wow thats a scary story and not how i thought it was going to go.
an ammo can is not safe unless its vented. either drill some holes in the top or remove the seal all the way around EXCEPT for the front to make sure the latch still stays tight. also how did you dispose of your lipos? did you get them down to 0 volts and if so how?
whoops, didnt see this thread was 5 years old. itsnt it great when threads from the stone age show up at bottom of pages?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back