Kraton Least expensive grass capable model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveko23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about getting an Arrma and I'm not really sure which model will suit me the best. I currently own a 1/16 Traxxas mini revo and a Traxxas Slash 2wd. And my son and I mostly drive that around the street and some small ramps. I'm curious about getting something I can run in the backyard. I have an acre and the grass is fairly thick and usually mowed at the highest lawnmower setting (4.5in I think). So which model would be the least expensive model that would be able to handle that terrain? Am I looking at a 6s Kraton? Or would a Krayon 4s handle that fine? What about a 3s granite? I'm guessing the 3s Typhon is out and probably the Senton as well? Basically I'm looking at the list of BLX vehicles and trying to eliminate some from contention while staying as inexpensive as possible. Thanks!

4-1/2' grass? that would be kinda of tough on any of those for a long period time, the Granite is 7.72in tall. The black dot is at 4-1/2 inches
1592952391634.png

Curious about this as well as I still lust after a 6s. I have a Summit that has mondo ground clearance and does good enough in the grass. I have read here that grass is a quick way to overheat the rigs.

4.5 inches of grass is probably best suited for a 5th scale.

I have a 3s Granite, it will go in tall grass, but it's far from ideal for it. It gets slowed down considerably, traction rolls at really low speed and gets hot quickly. Typhon and Senton will be even lower to the ground. You need ground clearance. In general, tall grass is not the greatest place to run an RC, I'd guess the Mojave will perform best.

I just checked, and I'm actually very surprised at the numbers. The Outcast 4s has the highest Arrma ground clearance? Ride height 64mm, higher than a 6s Outcast. I thought the Mojave would have the highest clearance. Mojave and Granite come in second. The Mojave has the same ride height as a Granite?

Last edited:
That tall of grass will bring heat issues to almost anything.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess my backyard will be less than ideal then. I am looking to clear out some weeds and brush along the side of my house. I think I can build a small dirt track. It'll be quite the undertaking to clear everything out though...but could be a pretty sweet track when done if I do it right.

Can you mow at a lower setting?

When my grass is mowed at the mid level setting, my Granite can get around pretty good. If that was my primary running ground, I would want to drop a tooth or two on the pinion, as grass makes heat. When the grass grows out, the granite struggles.

My Kraton and Outcast kind of ignore the yard grass, though. Park grass has to be pretty tall or thick before they are bothered.

K4S or O4S could be a good mid ground between size and price. $400, but they run 3.8 truggy/MT size tires. Running in grass, Tire size is really the biggest thing that will help.

Another thought - look at the Redcat Kajiu - it is 1/8 MT, 6s ready, runs good on 4s. A bit smaller than the Outcast 6s, but bigger than a Granite. Cost is the same as the 4sBLX trucks - about $400. but metal driveline, metal shocks. There is a mega-thread here on it, most folks seem happy, a few trash it, so seems about normal... LOL I'll try to find the link.

Edit - Kajiu thread -
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/anyone-interested-in-the-new-redcat-kaiju-mt-1-8.18920/

Last edited:
Wow that Kaiju thread is pretty hefty, I'll take a look. At the moment though I'm looking to stay with RC brands that my local hobby store has in stock which I believe is Traxxas and Arrma. I will venture out at some point, but until I'm deeper into the hobby it just feels easier to be able to go and get local support/parts easier.

Just curious, why don’t you just mow a small section of your grass at a lower setting. You could even do a track if you wanted to by cutting a shorter path in the tall grass.
I drove my outcast 6s in the grass for a while the other day and it got pretty hot. Our grass is nowhere near that tall either. I think you will be pretty hard pressed to find anything that will be enjoyable in grass that tall, even without heat issues

That's a thought. I generally keep the grass as long as possible so I can water it less when it's so hot outside. But I could mow parts shorter where it's more in the shade.

Use tires like this, cutting through is easier than plowing (just like snow)

Attachments

• AA1447F0-C8A2-447A-8AF7-508B56693E7A.jpeg
    AA1447F0-C8A2-447A-8AF7-508B56693E7A.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 50
Use tires like this, cutting through is easier than plowing (just like snow)
For a crawler, yes. But for a truck with speed and power, a wide tire with good lugs (like a trencher, or badlands) can get up on top of the grass - almost like a boat getting on a plane. Not exactly the same, but similar.

I've run my both my Granite and my Typhon with both 2.8MT and 1/8 buggy tires, which are about the same height. The wider MT tire wins every time in grass.

For a crawler, yes. But for a truck with speed and power, a wide tire with good lugs (like a trencher, or badlands) can get up on top of the grass - almost like a boat getting on a plane. Not exactly the same, but similar.

I've run my both my Granite and my Typhon with both 2.8MT and 1/8 buggy tires, which are about the same height. The wider MT tire wins every time in grass.
I respectfully disagree, I see your point of it hydroplaning at high speeds but nobody goes 100% all of the time and narrow tires offer less surface resistance when moving through grass, find big enough ones and the rims could give him his 41/2” clearance he wants.

Certainly food for thought on the tires. Easy enough to try both a wide and a narrow tire and see which works best and I'm only out the money for the tires/wheels which I'm sure I'll have no problem using both at some point.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back