Kraton Leopard 4092 1730kv

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran my Kraton today on 5S, 1480KV Leopard, 20 Tooth pinion. It hits 43 mph. I'll get right to the point.....In a Kraton, this motor is a solid 6S motor.....no good for 5S. I'm positive that it will not make this truck shine on 5S. It's too low of a KV to get the proper RPM and the right gear ratio. I feel it will never be in a sweet spot unless it was geared with a smaller pinion. If you got all 5S packs Parkracing..just get the 1780 kv. It should be bad ass on it. You probably will not need a fan

6S will put it where you want. 5S...I wouldn't want it. That's a 6S run there...after 25 mins I'm still going without hitting the lipo cut off. I would normally hit lipo cut off on 5S at 18mins on the stock motor. But that's different with everyone.
Well thanks so much for doing that and sending the results! Your Input is a huge help!

Well thanks so much for doing that and sending the results! Your Input is a huge help!

No prob bud. It's ok on 5s but it's not going to shine. The Kraton has to be in that sweet spot. Power to weight ratio. As far as Leopard 4092's go.... they are gems in this rc. I'm a fan of these longer can motors.

On the subject of motor voltage ratings,it's all about heat soak,but motor manufactures have to be conservative,so its up to us if where running things to hard.Easy to find what will work when using a temp gun or logging esc.

I get the best results on 6S with the 1480kv. I can beat it to death 52 mph to 57 range. No heat issues at all and the longest run times Ive ever got. No fan needed. It's crap on 5S, didn't even want to continue after 7 mins of running. Lol.

The 1730 works pretty good from 4s to 6s,kinda slow on 4s but its nice not to have to change pinions when changing voltages.Also i could be running a 18t but my batteries aren't up to the task.If i had the 1480kv i think i would try the HW Max6 on 8s!

IMG_7003.PNG
IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7005.JPG
Leo 1730 came in today, drilled and tapped mount holes to M4, put M4 grub screws in remaining holes, made up the wire harness. Found a few problems with my center diff so I just ordered hot racing aluminum housing and hot racing center diff mount. Should be ready to go in a few days. Gonna start with 17 tooth pinion.

The 1730 works pretty good from 4s to 6s,kinda slow on 4s but its nice not to have to change pinions when changing voltages.Also i could be running a 18t but my batteries aren't up to the task.If i had the 1480kv i think i would try the HW Max6 on 8s!
8s!!! The thing would be blazing at 70+ MPH with 5 inches tall and 2+ pounds worth of battery. Probably run for over a half hour. I thought I read in one of your other posts that you mainly use you Kraton as sand track racer. This might be the hot ticket!! I think you should go for it.

8s!!! The thing would be blazing at 70+ MPH with 5 inches tall and 2+ pounds worth of battery. Probably run for over a half hour. I thought I read in one of your other posts that you mainly use you Kraton as sand track racer. This might be the hot ticket!! I think you should go for it.
Been thinking of picking up the Max6 for the higher amps and 8s capable but don't currently have a 1480 motor.Would probably go with something in the 1000kv for 8s if i where to do it!Those little diff pins would not like the power!

Been thinking of picking up the Max6 for the higher amps and 8s capable but don't currently have a 1480 motor.Would probably go with something in the 1000kv for 8s if i where to do it!Those little diff pins would not like the power!

Max cell rating on a 1480KV 4092's is 6S. You need a 58mm by 92mm can and a custom motor mount to go 8S more than likely . I would get a larger scale rc to run 8S with a KV in about the tripple digits. Depending on how heavy it is. The Kraton can get heavy after a bunch of mods..... it boarder lines into the next scale up in weight sometime. The drive line stock, in my opinion, just handles 6S turned up to the max in speed and power. If you dial it in right where it doesn't push that breaking point.... it sure does hold up well and run efficiently.

Check out the RedCat Rampage buggy XB-E, it's just above a Kraton in size. It could do 6S and 8S Very well, is still relatively small in size compared to a true 1/5 vehicle. It's pretty nice...I would change it to a hub that fits tires off a 5ive T and just give it hell on 8S. I rather build something that works well rather than pushing it into self destruct mode....although that is also fun at times. :D

I myself rather stay with the Kratons size although I've been eyeballing maybe a tad larger....I like the power to weight ratio and size of the Kraton on 6S, so larger has been put on hold. Plus parts are fairly decent in price with a Kraton. One thing I hate is a RC that is too over powered for the size and its durability...It's fun for about 5 mins then you are like........... zoooom zooooom ...... :eek::rolleyes::oops::mad::mad::(.

Last edited:
Max cell rating on a 1480KV 4092's is 6S. You need a 58mm by 92mm can and a custom motor mount to go 8S more than likely . I would get a larger scale rc to run 8S with a KV in about the tripple digits. Depending on how heavy it is. The Kraton can get heavy after a bunch of mods..... it boarder lines into the next scale up in weight sometime. The drive line stock, in my opinion, just handles 6S turned up to the max in speed and power. If you dial it in right where it doesn't push that breaking point.... it sure does hold up well and run efficiently.

Check out the RedCat Rampage buggy XB-E, it's just above a Kraton in size. It could do 6S and 8S Very well, is still relatively small in size compared to a true 1/5 vehicle. It's pretty nice...I would change it to a hub that fits tires off a 5ive T and just give it hell on 8S. I rather build something that works well rather than pushing it into self destruct mode....although that is also fun at times. :D

I myself rather stay with the Kratons size although I've been eyeballing maybe a tad larger....I like the power to weight ratio and size of the Kraton on 6S, so larger has been put on hold. Plus parts are fairly decent in price with a Kraton. One thing I hate is a RC that is too over powered for the size and its durability...It's fun for about 5 mins then you are like........... zoooom zooooom ...... :eek::rolleyes::oops::mad::mad::(.
I totally agree.... once you get to a certain power range it is time to just go with a bigger rc! Vanning has it nailed with his current setup!

I just ordered your motor Vanning, a compatable 46t spur, hobbywing max 8 esc and will try my 23t pinion... I will give an update once everything is installed and tested on 5s!

Just ran it, holy crap!! Faster than me Talion with Momba monster 2. Put a 20 tooth pinion and ran it on 5s. Need wheelie bar now and new body post. Punched throttle at around 25 mph and it flipped over without the body on. Ran it for 10 minutes and temp on motor was 132. Should I go down a tooth or two? At this point I don't think I'll be running 6s. Sick fast like it is. I may be installing leopards in all my trucks.

Just ran it, holy crap!! Faster than me Talion with Momba monster 2. Put a 20 tooth pinion and ran it on 5s. Need wheelie bar now and new body post. Punched throttle at around 25 mph and it flipped over without the body on. Ran it for 10 minutes and temp on motor was 132. Should I go down a tooth or two? At this point I don't think I'll be running 6s. Sick fast like it is. I may be installing leopards in all my trucks.
I thought you would like it! I went down to a 15t because i could never get past half throttle with the 17t pinion and my battery gets too warm.

20170121_153923.jpg 20170121_154046.jpg 20170121_154123.jpg 20170121_154841.jpg Look what just showed up in my mail box just now! Ordered on Thurs in my box Saturday, thanks Kershaw Designs!
And just for comparison, on the right is the stock gen 1 motor, then the sensored 1800kv 4274 hobbywing motor, then the 1550kv 4274 Toro motor, and then of coarse my precious! 4292 1480kv Leopard!

I thought you would like it! I went down to a 15t because i could never get past half throttle with the 17t pinion and my battery gets too warm.
Have you tried a 18 tooth yet?

Sounds different also. Is it still fast on a 15?

Good stuff.
Hey Vanning and Kauaiguy, need your input please. First off, I am ridiculously happy with my Leopard 4092. No more mombas for me. I want to make sure I'm running safe temps. Running on 5s for 15 minutes with 17 pinion, motor temp 151, battery temp 91, ambient outdoor temp is 68, ESC temp 123. Acceleration is excellent, top speed is equivalent to or better than my Momba in my Talion.

I like to stay under 160 above 130 on the motor and also be able to run a full pack with no motor fan. The ESC temp is usually close to motor temp with me. Not drastically different. The battery after a run should cool down to ambient temp rather fast. If it's too warm, it will be warm for a long time. 15 mins as apposed to 30 mins or more. That's about 90 to 120.

You may want to go one tooth down on the pinion. See if the ESC and motor temp get closer to each other.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back