Kraton Leopard 4292 1480kv discontinued?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfella

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Im researching doing a motor swap in my kraton and just commiting fully to 6s. I'll have to buy a couple more batteries and the motor so its a big investment and I want to be fully prepared.

I'm looking at the Leopard 4292 1480kv motor. The only thing is its only available from Kershaw Design and they are out of stock. I looked at the Leopard hobby site and the 4292 is not listed. Is it discontinued?

They do list the 4092 1480kv motor on the Leopard hobby website and also RC Juice carries the 4092 and it is in stock. Are the 4292 and 4092 equivalent? Both are 1480kv.

Also, I have a HR racing motor mount. Is the Leopard 4092 1480kv motor compatible with this mount?

Finally, will I need to drill and tap this motor for 4mm bolts? I've never done this before and don't have a drillpress. What equipment do I need? Do you simply drill out the hole to 4mm then use the tap? Any suggestions on where to get a good drill and tap set for this job?

You will need to buy a M4 tap and drill bit to go with it. No special tools needed. Just a normal drill. Also I installed the leopard 1730kv in my Kraton. 6s mostly and some 5s. Tons of torque and speed

Im researching doing a motor swap in my kraton and just commiting fully to 6s. I'll have to buy a couple more batteries and the motor so its a big investment and I want to be fully prepared.

I'm looking at the Leopard 4292 1480kv motor. The only thing is its only available from Kershaw Design and they are out of stock. I looked at the Leopard hobby site and the 4292 is not listed. Is it discontinued?

They do list the 4092 1480kv motor on the Leopard hobby website and also RC Juice carries the 4092 and it is in stock. Are the 4292 and 4092 equivalent? Both are 1480kv.

Also, I have a HR racing motor mount. Is the Leopard 4092 1480kv motor compatible with this mount?

Finally, will I need to drill and tap this motor for 4mm bolts? I've never done this before and don't have a drillpress. What equipment do I need? Do you simply drill out the hole to 4mm then use the tap? Any suggestions on where to get a good drill and tap set for this job?

The 4092 and 4292 are the same. 4292 has cooling fins, the other does not. It's 2mm bigger due to the cooling fins. Kershaw Design has a new Leopard motor that is black, it's a 4690. It may or may not fit. It might just clear everything. However....lots of stuff is out of stock now including the 4690.

Drill and tap....you just need the correct size drill and tap set and you can get the T handle holder for the tap. Drill the hole with a hand drill...then just hand twist the tap through it. The hole will be slightly smaller than the tap and the tap will just thread it. You have to remove the motor plate first. You can get the drill and tap plus the tap holder from Depot.

The HR motor mount.....You might find it has too much play in it. Hot Racing may have addressed it by now. I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back