Leopard motors waterproof?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erstadw

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 6s
Looking at getting the leopard 4092 1730kv motor for my kraton. Have been looking all over for info if this motor is waterproof and can't find it. I like snow bashing and occasionally find my way into some puddles. Just want to know if this motor can handle it or not.

Ok. Just found more info. Stating that in general, brushless motors can run in wet conditions. Just aware the bearings will need to be cleaned and re-lubed after getting wet. Does leopard use sealed cans? I thought I read somewhere they use sealed cans on some or all their motors.

Every single sensorless brushless motor is waterproof. No such thing as an element sealed can. That just means you can’t take it apart. Bearings are the only thing that can be damaged by water.

Any reason why you’re going leopard 4092 over hobbystar 4092?

Thanks Peeeenuuutt. From research I have seen more people using the leopard. Haven't really heard much about hobbystar. I see they use ribbed cans and bigger motor bullets. Also a little cheaper than leopard. Maybe I will reconsider. Does the hobbystar use m3 or m4 mounting holes? If they don't need to be drilled and tapped like the leopard, that might be the deal maker.

Thanks Peeeenuuutt. From research I have seen more people using the leopard. Haven't really heard much about hobbystar. I see they use ribbed cans and bigger motor bullets. Also a little cheaper than leopard. Maybe I will reconsider. Does the hobbystar use m3 or m4 mounting holes? If they don't need to be drilled and tapped like the leopard, that might be the deal maker.
Not sure about the m3 vs m4, all I know is whatever screws the stock motor uses, that’s what the hobbystar uses... direct bolt in. I run their 4076 in my revo and it’s a fantastic motor so I’m definitely buying their 4092 to replace it within a few months. Hobbystar is definitely a quality brand, especially compared to leopard. Also, note that they have 6.5mm bullet connectors which is a big plus for me because all my castle systems use those. (Not saying 4mm bullets are bad, but 6.5’s are definitely WAY better)

Also I hope you’re not planning on using the stock esc... you’ll have to upgrade to something like a CC mamba monster because I’ve heard many stories of even hobbywing max8’s blowing up when using 4092 sized motors. Not saying it can’t be done but realize you’re way over the stock esc’s capability and still pushing a max8 hard. If you want to stick with hobbywing I’d go max6.

Last edited:
Hobbystar motors got four m3 mounting holes and four m4 holes, however the m4 holes didn’t line up well with the stock arrma motor mount and I feel the leopard motor to be of better quality than hobbystar( I got them both in the same size can 4282 2000kv)

Interesting. My leopard motors all ran hotter than my hobbystar. Guess it’s luck of the draw I don’t know.

Just wanted to give an update. Did get the max6 and the hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor installed. Like Rrr184 said above the m4 holes didnt quite line up with the stock motor mount. Had to enlarge the slots slightly with a drill bit. For the esc I had to shave off the lip on the factory esc mount to make it fit flush. Also had to remove the mounting posts on my tall outcast side guards that I was using to mount the old power switch. New switch you mount with tape do no big deal. Started out smaller on the pinion. I think 16t got me around 30 mph on 4s. Think I will step up to 20t pinion. Took it out in some snowyesterday. Ran fine for a few minutes then started to get 1-2 second lag on throttle and brake. Recalibrated the esc and my receiver but haven't taken it back out yet to test.

Just wanted to give an update. Did get the max6 and the hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor installed. Like Rrr184 said above the m4 holes didnt quite line up with the stock motor mount. Had to enlarge the slots slightly with a drill bit. For the esc I had to shave off the lip on the factory esc mount to make it fit flush. Also had to remove the mounting posts on my tall outcast side guards that I was using to mount the old power switch. New switch you mount with tape do no big deal. Started out smaller on the pinion. I think 16t got me around 30 mph on 4s. Think I will step up to 20t pinion. Took it out in some snowyesterday. Ran fine for a few minutes then started to get 1-2 second lag on throttle and brake. Recalibrated the esc and my receiver but haven't taken it back out yet to test.
Same setup i have it rips on 6s with the 16t pinion it's uncontrollable with a 20t or more

I’d be careful man. Running too little voltage can sometimes overdraw (draw too many amps) than the motor and esc are rated for. If that’s not the case, the batteries go kapow.

I’d be careful man. Running too little voltage can sometimes overdraw (draw too many amps) than the motor and esc are rated for. If that’s not the case, the batteries go kapow.
Yeah I took all that into consideration but the lower kv from my understanding are a little more efficient than the higher kv I think my max Lipo temp was 109 after a hard bash so seems the Lipo isn't under to much amp draw stress

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back