Leopard motors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Bean

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I've heared a lot about Leopard hobby motors being used in 1:8 RC's on older threads (<2 years ago), but now I mostly only see the HW and Castle combo's. Why aren't they used anymore?

They're cheaper than Castle, they have way more options than HW, and you can configure them yourself.
Are they good?

What do you mean with that? They are cheap, but not the most powerful? Would a similar priced HW/castle be better?

What do you mean with that? They are cheap, but not the most powerful? Would a similar priced HW/castle be better?
Correct not the best of the best, but they are excellent motors and should work great for anything you need them to do.
I like Castle Creations because of their warranty and quality, but being in the Netherlands that may not be the same experience for you...

If you are doing general off road bashing Hobbywing has some great motors also. I know the 4985 is a favorite of many here on the forum for a 6s vehicle.

I’ve had both a Leopard and Castle motor blow their Kevlar wrap under minimal loads, both were replaced under warranty. I would give the edge to Castle as far as not having to deal with China directly. Fortunately for me my dealer (RC Juice) did honor the warranty for me and I didn’t have to deal directly with China. Castle is here in the USA so that makes warranty easier for me. If you’re not in the USA, snowy of this doesn’t pertain to you and may not even be a factor for you.

I’ve also recently overheated a TP motor due to leaves blocking my fans. I’m pretty hard on motors when doing speed runs. I’ve got some learning to do when it comes to properly setting my goals and not shooting for the moon. I will spend the winter getting my rigs setup for more modest goals come spring and hope to have better luck in 2021.

How would the HW 1650kv be in a Notorious on 4s and 6s? (if I ever need to replace the stock motor). Don't have a ARRMA yet, but it would be good to know

How would the HW 1650kv be in a Notorious on 4s and 6s? (if I ever need to replace the stock motor)
A lot of guys run that motor and love it. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

How would the HW 1650kv be in a Notorious on 4s and 6s? (if I ever need to replace the stock motor)
1650 would be great on 6s. Lots of power and should run very cool.
You would have to gear up a little due to the lower KV.

On 4s it would feel very slow.

I have a Leopard 4092 1730kv in my Kraton. It has been a great motor with plenty of torque. The downside is that it comes with M3 mounting holes and should be drilled and tapped to M4. During this process it is easy to shear off the tap in the hole if not careful. I know this from experience. ??

So, should I just go for HW/Castle, if I ever need to replace anything?

Every hobbystore only has castle/HW, and some have ARRMA and Traxxas electronics, though spectrum is also coming

Every hobbystore only has castle/HW, and some have ARRMA and Traxxas electronics, though spectrum is also coming
The question then is if the hobby shop will do an exchange or if you will have to handle the warranty claim yourself.

I've got a leo 4082 2000kv in mojave right now I paid 90$ for.i also have a tp4050-2100kv. (4082) I paid 130$ for.the difference is astronomical.ill continue to buy tp for now.i got 1 coming in the mail tomorrow.40$ difference an night an day difference in power an heat.leo has been a good motor.tp has been amazing so far.

20210110_164848.jpg

The leo is a heavy motor thou.tp weights 420grams

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201104-173145_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201104-173145_Chrome.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 51
I know this is old but how would a Leopard 4074 / 1650 kv motor run in my 6s kraton w/ my stock BLX 185 ESC?
I have a Leo 4275/2200kv motor and it blew almost instantly as it had a bad wrap on the rotor. It was replaced under warranty but sits unused today. I might find a use for it some day.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back