Leopard or hobby star 4082 vs 4092

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmy300z

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I'm trying to find the right balance between power and heat for a Kraton. My stock 2050kv motor is broken so I want to replace it with either a 4082 motor at 1600Kv or a 4092 at 1730Kv. I may occasionally run 4s but primarily bought this truck to run 6s. I want something that will run cooler and somewhat faster than stock but I don't want to start breaking more drivetrain parts. I have been comparing these motors on rcjuice.com and it appears that the 4082 at 2000Kv really can't handle 6s voltage? and is why I ruled it out so far.

As best I can tell the 4082 would be ~400 watts or stronger than stock and the 4092 would be 1200 watts? Is the 4092 brutal? Anyone know if the Nero motor would be an upgrade or is that more of a lateral move?
I'm sorry for the rant but it is difficult to compare this motors. The only downside to the 4092 is a potential impact and broken mount screws due to length or breaking dog bones and etc.

I know there are threads for each motor separately but don't know how to compare the Nero, 82, and 92 motors to choose the best.

Thank you for any advice you may provide.

Last edited:
Hey 300z, I happen to have both of these fine motors. Either one will do the job well. My only two gripes with these products are that they are intended to be mounted with M3 screws, which stink for the job, definitely tap in M4 fasteners. Next would be this special coating on the motor wires when I tried to change the connectors from stock to 6.5mm. Sat there with a razor blade scraping off this coating for hours. It worked but took much longer than anticipated. If you plan on keeping the blx185 esc, i would lean more toward the 4082. Just my 2 cents.... This hobby kicks ass

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, I have already pulled the trigger on the 4092. I ended up with the hobby star because it already has M4 holes. What makes you lean more towards the 4082 and do you have the 1600 or 2000kv?
I really can’t see much difference between the blx185 and blx200 other than the caps and cap packs orate you referring to the max8?

That's funny because i just got my second Hobbystar 4092. This hobby is a bit of a money pit when you constantly feel the urge to upgrade. I've tested out the Leo 4082&4092 in addition to the Hobbystar 4082&4092. the Leo's are a tiny bit faster and cooler than the Hobbystar counterparts of the same size but saving 20 bucks for a Hobbystar makes them more appealing to me. RCJuice has decent esc's and servo's. Some have called me the "butcher" due to the fact i run a rig until something is broken. Until recently, had a cool rotation of two kratons and one outcast. The outcast is gone after bursting into flames. I have the video of it on my phone and will try to post it sometime. Now one of the kratons has been transformed into an outcast from all the spare parts i've collected. I haven't seen the inner workings of your rig, but i advise getting the Tekno shocks upgrade. They are truly game changing. Tower to tower brace is essential as well.

Was your recommendation for the 4082 over the 4092 based on power draw? Is the blx185 not up to the task? If not what would you recommend instead?

The 4082 is a damn fine motor. In my outcast, it's the perfect fit. Not too heavy and plenty of power and it doesn't slow down rotations in the air, if you're into wild jumping. I love quadruple flips. This is also running on the stock esc, 4s and 6s both kick ass. On the Kraton, using the BLX185, there were overload and heat issues with the 4092. Hobbywing esc's are my first choice by far for upgrades. Twice they have replaced a XR8 plus and the Max8 during the warranty period. God bless them, their customer service is nothing that i have experienced before. They are anal retentive when asking details about why the esc was damaged. Hobbywing/4092 combo is sweet. Not trying to beat a dead horse but if i could influence how to burn through some cash in the name of performance, you should get HW xr8 plus, tekno shocks, GKA servo mount, Protek 150t servo, any futaba radio and rpm plastics. To get rid of that pain in the a** wing mount, get AR320277 from the Senton. Put these all together= BEASTMODE.

Hey 300z, I happen to have both of these fine motors. Either one will do the job well. My only two gripes with these products are that they are intended to be mounted with M3 screws, which stink for the job, definitely tap in M4 fasteners. Next would be this special coating on the motor wires when I tried to change the connectors from stock to 6.5mm. Sat there with a razor blade scraping off this coating for hours. It worked but took much longer than anticipated. If you plan on keeping the blx185 esc, i would lean more toward the 4082. Just my 2 cents.... This hobby kicks ass
So the 4082 will work with the blx185 esc

The leopard 4082 works with blx185. Connectors the same. Currently got this set up in v3 typhon w/ 16t pinion. This is after upgrading kraton and outcast to hobbystar 4092.

I have a Leopard 4082 1600kv in my fazon hd build with a HW max 6 ready to install. I don’t have any runtime on the setup though since it is a shiny shelf queen right now...

The leo 4082 feels maybe 10-20% more powerful than the stock motor. Never had heating issues and running it with 16t pinion. Its a fine upgrade. Biggest bonus is that it runs great on the blx185 esc. If you plan on getting a new and more powerful esc, then get hobbystar 4082, it comes w/ 6.5mm connectors.

The leo 4082 feels maybe 10-20% more powerful than the stock motor. Never had heating issues and running it with 16t pinion. Its a fine upgrade. Biggest bonus is that it runs great on the blx185 esc. If you plan on getting a new and more powerful esc, then get hobbystar 4082, it comes w/ 6.5mm connectors.

Which version of the leo 4082 are you running?
1600kv, 2000kv or the 2200kv?

If u got the arrma backflips on the car plus a decent sized pinion, actual standing back flips will be the new standard. Expect prematurely bent dogbones cuz its brutal on the drivetrain. Happy bashing

Originally it was for Kraton, then upgraded to hobby star 4092, the Leo went into my outcast next. Last week a bro paid off some debt with a typhon roller so the Leo has found a new home. Outcast is busted to pieces. Ran it too hard

If u got the arrma backflips on the car plus a decent sized pinion, actual standing back flips will be the new standard. Expect prematurely bent dogbones cuz its brutal on the drivetrain. Happy bashing

That's true, I might not want bending dogbones.
Thanks a lot for the info, it might change my decision to choose for the 2000kv motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back