Leopard or hobbystar motor question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I've never run leopard or Hobbies Star Motors but they seem to have a pretty decent track record. For those of you that are running these, can you run the 4092 at 1480 KV with the kraton blx185? I'm doing a rebuild right now but most of my attention is going to be on most everything except the motor and ESC at this time. But I was thinking I might want something with more torque because I'm adding some weight so for now I was contemplating just doing the motor with the BLX 185. Any suggestions would be helpful thank you

I have the 4092 1480kv Leopard that I run with a max8 and its been flawless. Not sure how good it would do on the blx185 tho. I think the nero motor is a pretty solid upgrade from what I read. If your just looking to swap motors that might be a route to look into.

Leopard 4092 1730kv, hw max5, 13,200uf cap pack, 25/50 pinion/spur going in my senton project.

I have been happy with leopard and tp power motors so far.

I'm currently running a leopard 4092 1730kv with blx185/ spooled29/40 with no issues at all
This is good to know. I'm getting ready to pick up one of those. Actually the Hobbystar 4092 1730kv.

Last edited:
What's the biggest difference between the leopard and hobbystar motor besides the fins? One of them has M3 screws which I believe is the leopard and the hobbystar I think has the ability for M3 and M4? Please correct me if I'm wrong

Which brings me and my next question. Can you use M4 screws with the hot racing motor mount?

Which brings me and my next question. Can you use M4 screws with the hot racing motor mount?
The Hobbystar lists Abec 5 rated bearings the Leopard lists imported high speed Japanese bearings.

I think I'm using M4 screws with my Hot Racing motor mount.

Thanx for the response. Do you know if people had better luck with one than the other I know the numbers are all pretty close but I've never seen any discussions about one necessarily being better than the other.

Just from what I have heard leopards run a little bit cooler and may be a tad more power when comparing.

It's a boat motor.
I see alot of leopards in boats on UT.smooth can for water jackets.the shafts on the leo is easy to turn like the 2050kv motor.try an turn a tp with fingers its almost impossible.the sound of car roll by hand on floor is night an day diff.ill shot a quik video to compare.tell me what u all think.☝️

Last edited:
I see alot of leopards in boats on UT.smooth can for water jackets.the shafts on the leo is easy to turn like the 2050kv motor.try an turn a tp with fingers its almost impossible.the sound of car roll by hand on floor is night an day diff.ill shot a quik video to compare.tell me what u all think.☝️
I’m not really in the know about the differences between different brushless motors BUUUUT, in my ignorance, what is that video meant to demonstrate?
Yes i can hear a significant difference in sound. But there seems to be a significant difference in setup as well..... I’m guessing now but the leopard has different difs and gearing, straight vs ”curved” teeth in the diffs etc. A difference in gearmesh allso affects sound. I would expect them to sound different to eachother with the same model of motor......
So what am I supposed to learn by listening to the difference?
I’m not trying to be an ass! I’m genuinly curious and would like to learn.

I guess its meant to show the superiority of the tp, but why/how?

I can relate to the twist by hand comparison but i have No knowledge of the importance of it. I can guess (again) that it has to do with the efficency of the magnet/coil system. But then again I have no knowledge how that translates to real world performance.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I’m not really in the know about the differences between different brushless motors BUUUUT, in my ignorance, what is that video meant to demonstrate?
Yes i can hear a significant difference in sound. But there seems to be a significant difference in setup as well..... I’m guessing now but the leopard has different difs and gearing, straight vs ”curved” teeth in the diffs etc. A difference in gearmesh allso affects sound. I would expect them to sound different to eachother with the same model of motor......
So what am I supposed to learn by listening to the difference?
I’m not trying to be an ass! I’m genuinly curious and would like to learn.

I guess its meant to show the superiority of the tp, but why/how?

I can relate to the twist by hand comparison but i have No knowledge of the importance of it. I can guess (again) that it has to do with the efficency of the magnet/coil system. But then again I have no knowledge how that translates to real world performance.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Like compression on an gas motor.kick starting a dirt bike for instance,old motor is easier to turn over compared to fresh rebuit motor.quility of tp is way better than the Chinese motors.tp lot harder to turn.the tp sounds different in all the different trucks Ive put it in.complete different high compression feel to it.IMO well worth the extra 30ish dollars compared to Chinese ones..BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS IF ALL POSSIBLE

Leopard lists imported high speed Japanese bearings.
I recently bought a 4082 as back-up, but now itching to install it to see the difference witha 4074. Replaced the bearing with ceramic ones, those ‘high speed imported Japanese bearings’ said ‘Thailand’ on the shield...🙄

Like compression on an gas motor.kick starting a dirt bike for instance,old motor is easier to turn over compared to fresh rebuit motor.quility of tp is way better than the Chinese motors.tp lot harder to turn.the tp sounds different in all the different trucks Ive put it in.complete different high compression feel to it.IMO well worth the extra 30ish dollars compared to Chinese ones..BUY AMERICAN PRODUCTS IF ALL POSSIBLE
Ok. I do not doubt that the TP is a better motor ( It should be. Its a more expensive product after all).
And I don’t doubt that it can sound different either.
But can you tell performance by sound? If so, what sounds would indicate a high performance motor?
I interpret the more ”clicky” sound of the TP as a more powerful ”cogging action” if you catch my drift. It needs a stronger force to be displaced when rotated and therefore produces a stronger click when it ”falls over” to its next natural restingplace and when it does it ”hits” the gears/cogs harder producing a louder noise.
The analogy with compression ”feels” right but the comparison between motors in this case (brushless motors) are more about differences in design and material choices than wear, right?
The more I learn about well practicly any piece of tech, the more ”gray” areas I seem to find. Everyrhing is designed to a pricepoint. Well almost everything😁 And it seems to be choices of which compromise you are willing to accept in the designprocess. I’m ge
ting of track here, sorry.😊
I don’t know how to design brushless motors and i can’t tell if the relationship between how hard it is to turn a motor and its performance is a truth. I suspect that they are linked in Some way but its probably not the only parameter.

So should a high performance motor sound in any specific way? ”Clicky” for example or is that a sign of the compromise chosen and not a given for a high performance motor?
I recently bought a 4082 as back-up, but now itching to install it to see the difference witha 4074. Replaced the bearing with ceramic ones, those ‘high speed imported Japanese bearings’ said ‘Thailand’ on the shield...🙄
Maybe its a japanese company producing bearings i Thailand?😉

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back