Lesson Learned: Double Check You’re in Storage Mode

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC-RAD

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton 4s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 4s
Long story short: Make sure you’re in storage charging mode and NOT in balance charging at the end of the day.

Took my 4s rigs on an evening bash with 3 lipo packs (4s 5000mah). Two of the packs hit LVC and the other third pack was at 3.77volts per cell. Got back home around 7:30pm and had plenty of time to storage charge all my lipos. My charger (Venom Pro Duo) can charge two packs at the same time which I was able to get two packs in storage mode. Plugged in my third pack (which was the one with 3.77 volts per cell) to storage charge thinking it was going to be quick.

Lost track of time as I was getting ready for bed, and checked on my last lipo pack, checked how much amps were in each cell and found out they were nearly charged (4.19 per cell!!!). I had put my pack in balance charge and not storage charge!

I put it immediately in storage mode. I charge it an an ammo box in my garage. Stayed up way late as I was too paranoid to sleep with a fully charged battery.

So learn from my mistake and double check you’re in storage charge and not balance charge.

Last edited:
3.77 Volts per cell... and I think you're a bit paranoid. I've left full packs sitting overnight a lot of times (if I plan to bash the next day or it was late or whatever). Just make sure they're not near anything flammable. I usually leave them in a clay flower pot outside or in the middle of the shed on the concrete floor.

Lol. Thanks everyone for confirming my paranoia. I’m still relatively new to using lipo batteries and the research I’ve done on them always state to put them in storage mode and to not leave packs fully charged overnight.

Just trying to be diligent with my lipo packs and looking back on it now I should of just left it at 3.77 volts hah. Another lesson learned.

Thanks everyone

3.75-3.85 is all storage level. Leaving a lipo charged overnight won't do much either, I just wouldn't store them near anything flammable.
Stuff typically goes bad during charging and not sitting idle. It's just bad for the lipo to sit charged/dis-charged for extended times.

Good to have some paranoia about it, your Lipos will thanK you. Danger is only to forget about them and the 1 day is all of a sudden a week or more.

Last edited:
I had fully charged lipos for days when I was a noob. It's not like they're going to blow up or something.

I had fully charged lipos for days when I was a noob. It's not like they're going to blow up or something.
Correct, they will loose capacity and puff up over time (weeks or month). This is not instantaneous.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back