Lesson learned the hard way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift518

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So this morning my son and I tried to run the trucks but his would not power on. I thought it was strange since we just ran them a bit last night and I knew the batteries were not low enough to trip the ESC protection. So I plugged both of his packs into the charger/meter to check the voltages and found both cells on both packs reading 0.0v WTF!? Is what I was thinking but could not say. After a short interrogation I found that he had not turned off his truck like I had asked him last night. I figure the cooling fan on the motor continued to run all night and drain both packs to 0v. 3 days old and both packs are junk now :banghead:
The wife was not impressed that I just flushed $80 in batteries down the drain.

That sucks to hear man but at least you know the cause. As a rule of thumb you should NEVER leave batteries plugged into the esc, even with it turned off because they can still drain power from the batteries even when turned off.

That sucks to hear man but at least you know the cause. As a rule of thumb you should NEVER leave batteries plugged into the esc, even with it turned off because they can still drain power from the batteries even when turned off.

I normally do unplug everything and clean them up after every run but I left the house and he was still going with his. At least he learned something about them.

Oh man that sucks brother. Hope you got some new batteries on the way. I know how that can happen. I have caught it on my sons truck a few times.

So this morning my son and I tried to run the trucks but his would not power on. I thought it was strange since we just ran them a bit last night and I knew the batteries were not low enough to trip the ESC protection. So I plugged both of his packs into the charger/meter to check the voltages and found both cells on both packs reading 0.0v WTF!? Is what I was thinking but could not say. After a short interrogation I found that he had not turned off his truck like I had asked him last night. I figure the cooling fan on the motor continued to run all night and drain both packs to 0v. 3 days old and both packs are junk now :banghead:
The wife was not impressed that I just flushed $80 in batteries down the drain.

Heavy Bummer as well as the fan the steering servo was also one culprit along with the radio looking for the handset. I use the $2 lipo checkers with a beeper available on amazon which are attached to the balance wire while I'm using any of my lipo's, Once pluged into the balance wire on the battery it cycles through how many cells are in the connected lipo then the voltage of Cell 1 then Cell 2 and so on. The reason I replied is you can set it to beep loudly when the voltage of any of the cell's reaches 3.7 or whatever setting you choose instead of relying on the esc reading that the total voltage has dropped below whatever safe level its set at for either a 4s or 6s battery setup.

It is possible to resurrect drained lipos by charging them with nimh program on very low current, less than 1 A, for like 15 minutes without connected balance cables.
I do it outdoors and keep an eye on it, for safety. After a while it should have high enough voltage to respond as a lipo.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back