Let’s hear what you’ve done wrong!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonJarga

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 4s
As I’ve progressed through this hobby, I have learned that before you do or buy anything you better make DAMN sure you know what you’re doing and/or what your buying will work. It’s actually helped me in other aspects of my life. It’s helped me be more thorough with details.

Some of the mistakes I made were:

- I bought the 25T Hot Racing aluminum servo arm and found out it is too long for my Outcast 4s
- I also bought some bearings for a 6s
- Before I knew how a slipper worked I cranked it all the way tight and broke my CVDs

These are only a few examples. Anyways, let’s hear what you’ve done wrong!

Forgotten to bring my:
remote.
body.
the batteries I just charged....took the storage charged ones instead.....twice.

Installed:
shocks without springs (ya I know I’m a phucking moron)
center diff, minus ring gear.

List goes on.

bought an incompetant charge rthat i upgraded in a week overtightened my slipper used regular hardware store nuts WITHOUT washers for my wheels and destroyed them (always use washers) and more

Truggiyfied my typhon 6s today,got all the parts I felt so accomplished I didn't strip any grub screws in the hex,patted myself on the back after hex #3 guess what this dumb guy did on the final hex... Passenger side rear... Yep stripped the dam grub screw!!! 3 LHS's later I found replacement screws and pins. Did I mention I haven't even run the typhon yet 😕! 1st try was a success then a fail! Haha. Hot everything finished tho so all's well that ends well I guess.

Stuck my lips together because I wanted to see how CA glue tasted.....🤐
(JK....)

Figured out to turn off the gyro in my Kraton V5 in the dirt it is impossible to drive in loose dirt

For those that know the brand, I first bought an FTX Bugsta before realising what a terrible mistake I'd made and bought a proper car in the Big Rock!

Bought a mega instead of a 3s then spent a fortune upgrading it!

I've bought lots of stuff that was shoite... cheapo shocks off ebay, lots of GPM parts etc

Charged the batteries, cleaned the body, fresh batteries in the TX, drove a half hour to my bash spot, opened the rear door....
I forgot the f#@@in Mojave!!
Ooooo... I've done something similar. Left my transmitter on my workbench after driving an hour to the grass bmx track I run at. That was sooooooo irritating!

Stupid things I've done:
bought a hpi baja 5B SS
- had pretty much nowhere to drive it
- pump gas smells and storing the truck in the apartment meant my entire house smelled like pump gas for a day or so which triggered my wife's migraines.
- 2 wheel drive 23lb vehicle is not a good winter/snow vehicle... the primary reason I bought it was to run it in the winter instead of my nitro trucks.
- 2 wheel drive 23lb vehicle only has 2 wheel brakes... have a scar on my shin reminding me of that

Got an outcast instead of a kraton
- outcast is fun, but the kraton is so much easier at high speed jumping. If I didn't have an M2C chassis on it and a $80 probodyrc body, I'd get a kraton chassis/body for it. One of the reasons I got the outcast was because it fits in my truck hauler bag better.

Here's my rookie mistake

In swapping out the servo in my Big Rock (not really an easy task for a newbie) I get the new servo all seated and set and when screwing the receiver box cover back I have problems with one of the screws not going in. I was forcing the issue before removing the receiver box cover to investigate. This is when I see that I was trying to screw through the servo wires to reattach the receiver box cover. Lesson learned - make sure the servo wires are not pinched when replacing the receiver box cover.

"For sale a brand new servo with a damaged wire" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Spend €60 ($70) on a motor and ESC fan. The motor fan fel apart (integy), and I can't use the ESC fan because I have a new ESC.
Why do I have a new ESC (€90, $100)? I ran my RC on the beach. The ESC wasn't even hot, but the next day: poof. Broken.

Here's my rookie mistake

In swapping out the servo in my Big Rock (not really an easy task for a newbie) I get the new servo all seated and set and when screwing the receiver box cover back I have problems with one of the screws not going in. I was forcing the issue before removing the receiver box cover to investigate. This is when I see that I was trying to screw through the servo wires to reattach the receiver box cover. Lesson learned - make sure the servo wires are not pinched when replacing the receiver box cover.

"For sale a brand new servo with a damaged wire" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Don't have to be a rookie to do that... I just did that a month ago when installing a motor cooler on one of my trucks. Pinched one of the fan wires as I tightened the screw and cut it in half.

My wife and daughter went out of town to a horse show for the weekend last year.
Since I had the house to myself, Saturday night I was hanging out with a buddy of mine, Mr. Daniels, who suggest I drift around the kitchen and living room on GRPs because it would be “fun”. It was. We had a great time and only clipped the coffee table twice and put a few blemishes on a baseboard on a corner I kept cutting short 😂. What a night.

Unfortunately, when I woke up the next morning with a slight headache and went out into the kitchen to feed the dogs I noticed very obvious and Very black skid marks all though out the main part of the house. 🤦‍♂️

I spent 3hrs on my hands and knees scrubbing black skid marks with, what I found to be the most efficient tool after some trial and error, one of my wife’s flat bottom rubber sole shoes, worn as gloves.

I will never repeat that mistake,
at least in my own house.

My wife and daughter went out of town to a horse show for the weekend last year.
Since I had the house to myself, Saturday night I was hanging out with a buddy of mine, Mr. Daniels, who suggest I drift around the kitchen and living room on GRPs because it would be “fun”. It was. We had a great time and only clipped the coffee table twice and put a few blemishes on a baseboard on a corner I kept cutting short 😂. What a night.

Unfortunately, when I woke up the next morning with a slight headache and went out into the kitchen to feed the dogs I noticed very obvious and Very black skid marks all though out the main part of the house. 🤦‍♂️

I spent 3hrs on my hands and knees scrubbing black skid marks with, what I found to be the most efficient tool after some trial and error, one of my wife’s flat bottom rubber sole shoes, worn as gloves.

I will never repeat that mistake,
at least in my own house.
Maybe try some foam tires next time. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back