Let’s see your EV!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ps. hydro is also EV, it 'just' uses a hydrocel instead of batteries...
^^ That's what a lot of people misunderstand.

Like we already discovered with our rc's electric powered drive trains are taking over ice's definitely.
Electric drive trains are nearly 5 times more efficient than gassers (76% vs 16%) and their motors have a hundred times less moving parts (20 vs 2000).
EV's also require less maintenance and repairs, like brakes. They'll rust before they wear out if you use engine braking correctly.
Batteries have way less problems than first anticipated.
I work at a large car leasing company and some of our EV's have already passed 300.000 miles (500.000km) with a battery degredation of 15%.

Last edited:
Agreed 100%. Been following this thread and have been biting my tongue off not to respond to all the nonsene and opinions.
So back to the subject, here's is my EV and i love it.
It's supersmooth and quite and i never have issues with range or charging.
It's full options with electric and heated seats, Style+ interior package, IQ led front and rear, heated steering wheel and front windscreen, 20" rims, panoramic glass roof, wireless phone charging, wireless Apple Carplay (which is better than the onboard system), exterior style package, keyless entry and start, dark rear windows and extra heat and noise resistant front windows. And added a curled charging cable so i won't stumble over it :banghead:.
It's a little getting used to all the touch controls but after 2 weeks that wasn't an issue anymore.
I'm really picky on cars (it's been my work for over 20 years) and yes it has it flaws like every other car but it's a very good and solid car.

View attachment 212029
View attachment 212030

View attachment 212031
View attachment 212032
Sweet ride! It’s awesome seeing VW pivot from the mileage scandal to awesome EVs. The ID4 is going to do very well. My gf‘s father emigrated from Germany and her family has always driven VWs. She is looking for a change from her Jetta to an SUV and this will be right up her alley.

Like we already discovered with our rc's electric powered drive trains are taking over ice's definitely.
Electric drive trains are nearly 5 times more efficient than gassers (76% vs 16%) and their motors have a hundred times less moving parts (20 vs 2000).
EV's also require less maintenance and repairs, like brakes. They'll rust before they wear out if you use engine braking correctly.
I work at a large car leasing company and some of our EV's have already passed 300.000 miles (500.000km) with a battery degredation of 15%.
Great to hear. With battery degradation with these modern batteries it is turning out that mileage matters much less than calendar aging. The other major factor is time at state of charge and lower is better. How old are these high mileage cars roughly?
More EV pictures!!!

View attachment 212033

View attachment 212034

Somehow these discussions always end up on big V8's vs tesla.
I love the sound of V8's, but they are rare in Europe. Maybe thats for a reason. For a simular yet different reasons, i also think Tesla is not gonna maintain
EV dominance (in Europe).

Elon and Tesla are great, they put EV's on the map, but they are primairly a software company.
Our country with yellow and black numberplates, has adopted them quite early. We do like gimmicks, which the model S definately was in it's early days.

View attachment 212035

Yet, typically Tesla's marketshare is dropping hard. Where it still was 28% in 2019. Traditional European (and Asian) car manufacturers are taking over the EV market. In 2021 Tesla new sales EV markteshare dropped to 4.8% in the Netherlands.
Top 5 sales 2021:
1. Skoda Enyaq
2. Kia Nero
3. VW ID4
4. Volvo XC40
5. Tesla model 3
Closely followed by Mustang Mach-E, Nissan Leaf, BMW X3 and Polestar 2

Just saying Tesla is no longer the Apple of EV's. The VW group MEB platform(like JvG's ID4) and the geely/volvo CMA platform are the new EV benchmarks

ps. hydro is also EV, it 'just' uses a hydrocel instead of batteries...
Nice looking car! Norway is a great example of how to invest oil money and use it to transition to renewable energy. I wish Canada could follow your example but our system isn’t set up to allow it. We will get there but more slowly.

I haven’t checked out the Kia or the Volvo but I certainly will! With so many choices, what lead you to choose the VW? How do you like it?

Last edited:
I haven’t checked out the Kia or the Volvo but I certainly will! With so many choices, what lead you to choose the VW? How do you like it?
Mine is actually the Volvo XC40. Tax system and (company) lease system are rather different here, so prices will be rather different than oversea's.
Money wise you're just plain stupid not to go for a EV here when buying/leasing a new car

The Kia is certainly the best bang for your buck EV. A long(er) range mini-SUV, it's nice but not too fancy.
The VW ID4 and skoda Enyaq werent released yet when i picked the volvo.

I wanted a confortable yet fast, traffic proof (drive itself in congested long commutes) with a high seating position. I test drove multiple cars (including several non EV's) and just fell in love with the volvo. With a history of bmw and audi, my standards were pretty high.

Now, i'd probably fancy the upcomming Polestar 3

Thanks, i also really liked the looks of it this way. I wanted an electric SUV so my choices last year were ID.4, Enyac, XC40, Niro, U5 (Aiways) and Q4. EV6 and Ionic 5 were not available at that time. I'm keen on what you get for your money and lease budget. And i want i car i like, it's just a personal feeling when you walk towards it. So i ended up with an Enyac Sportline 77 kWh.
But unfortunately Skoda wasn't able to deliver it in 2021 which resulted in more additional tax for me.
Then i switched to the ID.4, just best value for money in my opinion (very debatable off course) and delivery in 2021.
If money wasn't a subject i would have chosen an E-tron.
Great to hear. With battery degradation with these modern batteries it is turning out that mileage matters much less than calendar aging. The other major factor is time at state of charge and lower is better. How old are these high mileage cars roughly?
Those are Tesla Model S, 5.5 years old, used as taxi's
Mine is actually the Volvo XC40. Tax system and (company) lease system are rather different here, so prices will be rather different than oversea's.
Is a Twin Drive, right? (PHEV)

You checked my plate, didnt you ;) Yeah, recharge wasn't released yet. It's a 2020 T5 TE. Built in Belgium, the last day before the first corona factory shutdown.
Haha, no the recharge has a closed grill and the charging port is on the rear

You have an opinion. The fact is that NHTSA crash tests vehicles in multiple ways and rates them in terms of safety in different types of accidents.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

They test for frontal, side, and rollover and rate each vehicle on each type of crash test out of 5*. The pictures and videos of the crash tests are available if you want to see it for yourself. Here is the info for my car: https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Here is more about the tests and ratings: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.g...gwithsafetyinmind_brochure_042817_v1a_tag.pdf

They also track crashes and fatalities overall and by brand. Here is the data: https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicles/VehiclesAllVehicles.aspx

"In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles."

Bottom of this page Tesla publishes the data per quarter. https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/VehicleSafetyReport

Quality, fit, and finish is great in my car. Not sure where you get your information. Batteries will last longer than the car and are warrantied for 8 years. Any other EV you have driven is not comparable. Hybrids are definitely not and hydrogen fuel cell is... who knows.

I have no idea what a "Tesla Ranger" office is, but in Ottawa we have two Tesla service centres plus mobile service for issues that can be handled that way. In NYC there are two service centres in Brooklyn and Long Island. https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/stores/United+States I have had a major repair under warranty - they replaced the heat pump/condenser/HVAC valve. Messaged me in the Tesla app (and email), scheduled the appointment in the app, and gave me a loaner for a couple of days until it was completed. For anyone without a loaner they have a rental car waiting at the service centre. Easiest car to get serviced I've ever had, and doesn't require service more than once a year. There is nothing to service. They push software updates regularly to fix issues, add features, etc. The only fluid I can put in it is windshield washer fluid. Once a year to do a general inspection, check or replace the little 12v battery when needed, and a brake inspection and lubrication. Brake pads every 2-3 years tops. By far the best service experience I have ever had. What is a rip off is stealerships that try to upsell you pre-paid maintenance plans that have you bring the car in 2-4 times per year. Maintenance costs on a Tesla are far less than a gas car.

The only monthly subscription is for the LTE connection for premium connectivity. Not required and all it provides is higher resolution satellite maps on the screen for navigation and streaming music etc. Totally optional. You can just use your phone and bluetooth for music and such if you choose and the standard navigation maps are fine - I prefer them anyway in most cases. The premium connectivity option is $15 / month Canadian if you do choose to do that. Cancel it any time.

Tesla certainly isn't perfect but they are very good and better than I've experienced with any other car brand.
I was a Toyota Master tech for 8 years. Not hating EV's. Tesla's are an alternative in this day and age. Wallet permitting.
I'm surprised you don't know what a Tesla Ranger is. He is the Mobil technician who comes to your home. Is merely equipped to do software updates and trouble shoot if your Tesla went "Limp" mode or wont drive. I am familiar with The Brooklyn Tesla Cnt. They were originally 3 bocks from my office in Queens NY.
I was an administrator for the Fleet in my Department of NYC.
When it comes to QC, everyone has a different discerning eye for it. Most could care less. As long it is shiny and new looking. Being a Toyota dealer tech and having managed a MBenz and Toyota Auto Body Auth, repair shop , I have a clue. I can find obvious flaws in any Tesla that you would never find in the most basic of Fords , GM's or Stellantis/Jeeps. And for the money spent, Tesla needs tighter fit and finish if they want to place their price point near BMW, MBenz, Audi and Porsche. The German Giga Plant, has closely monitored Tesla Production units like all the other German Mfr's. Tesla did not meet QC standards. So Tesla production is slower, , cost Tesla more to produce a unit as a result.. In fact globally, a Tesla produced in Germany is in higher demand for this reason.
Tesla is not going to disappear. Unlike Rivian and other start up EV's that are struggling right now.
Tesla represents only 3% of the vehicles out there. A very small percentage. There simply is not enough long range data to support much of the fanfare.
Be it crash worthiness, or End of Life total cost of ownership. Any car is a gamble. Tesla is more of a gamble to me. On paper Tesla's EV model works. Need more time to tell where the chips will fall.

In my case, Hybrids, this was a fascinating fact. In all 3 generations of Prius I owned, one went 220k, the second is still rolling with over 170k, and the third I traded with less than 40k. The Gen1 was definitely the most maintenance heavy of the three ( due to a warranty drive battery replacement) but the brakes looked better at 220k than my 1 ton Ram Duallys brakes did after just one 1200 mile trip to WV and back towing my 5'r.
Liking the pics fellas.

I was a Toyota Master tech for 8 years. Not hating EV's. Tesla's are an alternative in this day and age. Wallet permitting.
I'm surprised you don't know what a Tesla Ranger is. He is the Mobil technician who comes to your home. Is merely equipped to do software updates and trouble shoot if your Tesla went "Limp" mode or wont drive. I am familiar with The Brooklyn Tesla Cnt. They were originally 3 bocks from my office in Queens NY.
I was an administrator for the Fleet in my Department of NYC.
When it comes to QC, everyone has a different discerning eye for it. Most could care less. As long it is shiny and new looking. Being a Toyota dealer tech and having managed a MBenz and Toyota Auto Body Auth, repair shop , I have a clue. I can find obvious flaws in any Tesla that you would never find in the most basic of Fords , GM's or Stellantis/Jeeps. And for the money spent, Tesla needs tighter fit and finish if they want to place their price point near BMW, MBenz, Audi and Porsche. The German Giga Plant, has closely monitored Tesla Production units like all the other German Mfr's. Tesla did not meet QC standards. So Tesla production is slower, , cost Tesla more to produce a unit as a result.. In fact globally, a Tesla produced in Germany is in higher demand for this reason.
Tesla is not going to disappear. Unlike Rivian and other start up EV's that are struggling right now.
Tesla represents only 3% of the vehicles out there. A very small percentage. There simply is not enough long range data to support much of the fanfare.
Be it crash worthiness, or End of Life total cost of ownership. Any car is a gamble. Tesla is more of a gamble to me. On paper Tesla's EV model works. Need more time to tell where the chips will fall.
I forsee some hard days coming for Tesla cars. We have over 1000 Tesla's in our fleet.
Their battery management, batteries and electric motors are top notch, best there is. But the build quality and after sales of their cars is a whole different story. Broken doorhandles, worn seats, broken infotainment screens, broken suspension, it goes on and on. Parts on backorder for 6 months or more, very high prices for parts.
Today we see the big brands catching up with EV models and better drivetrains which directly affects Tesla sales.
The downfall already begun last year here in the Netherlands (-70% for the Model 3)

1650038108200.png

When I set it up ETH was just over $3k so it's close to that now, but I have enough extra collateral that I'm OK until about $2,500. If It gets below $2,800 I'll just add some to the collateral (and buy more ETH). Good time to pick up more ETH IMO. I'm in it long term and earning yield in ETH and with other platforms doing liquidity farming and staking so I have plenty to move around if I need it. I still earn yield on my collateral so it's not a problem to move a few grand worth into my ETH collateral pool if I need a safety margin. The main risk is if ETH goes down too far my collateral coins will get liquidated to close the position and that causes a taxable event, but I have plenty of crypto assets so keeping the collateral topped up will be no problem. If ETH goes much below $3k I will be scaling in seriously from FIAT currency anyway as a matter of course.

I like the blue a lot but I wish I had gone with white interior. As soon as I can be certain that I will get an Austin built model Y with 4680 structural battery pack I will take my model Y order off of hold and sell my Model 3 for a dual motor long range Model Y - blue with white interior. :)
Nice strategy.

Man I flip flopped between the Y (blue/white) and then ultimately ended up with a 3 (white/white). I know the struggle.

Either going to go M3P or different maker once my warranty runs out - I'll only get another Tesla if QC and CS improve. Hopefully values hold for another year or 2.

Pic - Both my M3's - both dirty as hell and need to be washed.

20210704_204811.jpg

In my area, the people driving Tesla's are the same ones who ran out and bought Hummers and Escalades, they buy them because they are trendy, not because they are EV. :(
I prefer to live in areas that aren't trendy. Folks are less superficial.

In my area, the people driving Tesla's are the same ones who ran out and bought Hummers and Escalades, they buy them because they are trendy, not because they are EV. :(
+1
What I noticed here also.

There is a model 3 up the block from me. Black with white interior. He parks on the street in front of his house apt.. Has no driveway. Sometimes has to even double park it, blocking traffic on the avenue.
He runs a long extension cord out his window across the sidewalk to the street to charge it. I can't fathom the impractical logic at all.
I cannot picture every other household with an EV doing the same thing, cords all over the neighborhood sidewalks. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
+1
What I noticed here also.

There is a model 3 up the block from me. Black with white interior. He parks on the street in front of his house apt.. Has no driveway. Sometimes has to even double park it, blocking traffic on the avenue.
He runs a long extension cord out his window across the sidewalk to the street to charge it. I can't fathom the impractical logic at all.
I cannot picture every other household with an EV doing the same thing, cords all over the neighborhood sidewalks. :ROFLMAO:
I didn't see @Doom! OG post but it makes total sense!

Before the pandemic, In NY, DT Chicago and LA, one of my most expensive NEW products was the number one seller simply because it was the most expensive and trendy. Funny and weird how that sometimes works out like that.

+1
All for that also.
I rather live a low key life.
I don't dress to impress. :giggle:
I didn't see @Doom! OG post but it makes total sense!

Before the pandemic, In NY, DT Chicago and LA, one of my most expensive NEW products was the number one seller simply because it was the most expensive and trendy. Funny and weird how that sometimes works out like that.
Seems that expensive + trendy = success, A business model these days. Doesn't even matter what's "under the hood" at all.
A formula that makes a hit and run product. Then it peters out quick.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Never lived in a "trendy" area so don't know what I'm missing. Or not missing.

+1
All for that also.
I rather live a low key life.
I don't dress to impress. :giggle:

Seems that expensive + trendy = success, A business model these days. Doesn't even matter what's "under the hood" at all.
A formula that makes a hit and run product. Then it peters out quick.:rolleyes:
I undress to impress.😁

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back