Let’s talk about motor maintenance/cleaning/bearing swaps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa_fullsend

Full send or no send ??
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Typhon 6s
Okay so recently I saw someone having motor issues and I was hoping to get some info from you highly knowledgeable guys about the 6s blx185 motor. Which I assume would transfer over to other brushless 6s motors ( just maybe not bearing size ) anyway. What’s the bearing size for these motors? How often should you swap? Even if you don’t notice any issues. How to clean and maintenance the motor to avoid issues in the future. Obviously I know that high heat is the main issue so I do run motor fans and check my temps I don’t let the motors get to hot. That being said what’s the upper limit to watch out for. Thanks in advance, hope this can help some people as well.

If there’s threads like this already feel free to link it instead of typing out your info If you don’t feel like it

Info probably all over the place.

All 6S models use the same motor.
How often to maintain? Stock, pending environment, dusty I'd do it every 20 packs, if I get it wet I do it immediately, else once ~ 6month
Bearings with sizes:
1- 5x16x5; 1- 5x13x4 (Jimsbearings, BOCA, ABEC5 or higher)
How often to swap? Only if one is feeling not perfect. With maintenance they last forever. Use oil and little grease.
Stock bearings have metal shields and suck in dirt. I'd swap them first maintenance cycle.

Temps: Upper safe limit 170-180F, at 190-200F the glue starts to break down and damage is permanent but not necessarily imminent.
200-210 F motor will break ~ 5 packs (pure guess), above the damage will proceed rapidly.

Front bearing is easy to push out, rear bearing use the bread trick (youtube).

Okay cool thanks @jkflow
Yeah I know all 6s models have same motor I was saying that because I have trucks with hobby star motors so I’m sure maintenance is the same just different size bearings.

so I think I’m gonna change the bearings in my oldest stock motor. I don’t notice any problem, I’d just rather be safe than sorry. So you say oil and grease. The bearings? Or something else in the motor as well? Is there anything to be done with any other parts Of the motor like cleaning wise or just swap new bearings in and you’re good.

Just cleaning, don't oil anything else. Oil and grease only attracts dirt, bearings are the only maintenance items inside the motor.
Rest can be wiped with alcohol or similar as needed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back