Lets talk about repairing ripped tires.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TraverseCity420

Total Arrma Fanboy
Reaction score
so lets hear some tricks and tips to reparing ripped tires.. I know theres gotta be some of you out there who can't afford to simply buy a new set of tires so you have resorted to repairing them at home.

Please share these tips and tricks videos anything you have that will help.

so lets hear some tricks and tips to reparing ripped tires.. I know theres gotta be some of you out there who can't afford to simply buy a new set of tires so you have resorted to repairing them at home.

Please share these tips and tricks videos anything you have that will help.

I've ripped a few RC tires in my time and the best method I've found to fixing ripped tires is to remove the tire from the wheel and replace it with a brand new tire.

No really. That's the best method I've found.

Sure you could use shoe goo or some other adhesive, but they simply just won't hold and and certainly not worth the frustration messing about with it.

Now to prevent ripping, there are plenty of good methods such as using duct tape on the inside of the wheel. Or wrapping a couple bands of strong fishing line on the outside of the tire and many others. Preventing is a much better idea then repairing ripping.

Mine ripped running over Ice chunks so.. duct tape and fishing line trick won't stop that kinda poop from tearing my tire apart, and as mentioned not everyone can afford to buy new tires..

I was thinking CA glue since we already use it to secure a tire in place in theory it should secure a hole as well, or Bob Smith Industries BSI-117 Extra Strength Carbon & Rubber IC-2000 1/2oz Glue

What I just ordered a lil bit ago someone else made mention of it on the forum..

So theres options im just wondering how many people tried them and it has worked for them.

Brand new tires having holes in them get expensive to replace after 3-4 days of use.. I can't keep buying 40$ tires every other day.

I just repaired a major 2 inch long rip in the sidewall of my stock kraton tire. Cleaned it with alcohol then glued both walls of the rip and all around the bead with generous amount of foam tac adhesive. Let dry overnight then glue it again. It has held up to one backyard and one to speed street session. Don't know how long it will last though.

When patching your tire, consider using a small piece of thin bicycle inner tube on the inside of the cut. Tubes are cheap, and I would buy the thinnest one possible (the kind they use for road bikes), if you don't have anything lying around. This will give the glue something to adhere to. It might make the wheel a little off balance, and you could add some tape to the inside of the wheel to offset. Just my $0.02, which in US dollars is actually -$0.01. Dam the exchange!

Im still tempted to try the shoe goo and drywall tape inside mine I'll let you know how it goes and if course balance it worth a shot not much to lose

I treat it like patching a bicycle tube... or car tube (if you ever had non-tubeless tires in your life). I clean the tear/edge of the tear with da, then rough it up with a sanding drum on a dremel, then cut a piece of bicycle innertube large enough to cover the hole with 3-4mm beyond the hole, then I clean the patch up with DA, rough it up with the drum, then put a thin layer of ca on the the tire, then the patch and gently place the patch one while holding pressure while the glue cures. Once it's cured, I use the drum again to sand all the edges of the patch so they are smooth with the tire and don't catch on stuff.

I've done this quite a few times over the years and have yet to have the patch come off or the tear get worse.

I've never tried fixing a tear in the face of the tire, only the side walls. I guess if your really patient and bake the tire off the wheel, then do the same kind of patch from the inside, it may hold up for a while. Depending on the size of the hole your patching.

The last one I did was a sidewall tear in my proline 3.8" trenchers on my outcast when I lost it in a cartwheel and it plowed into a chain link fence. The tires went on the truck new a week or so before... I was annoyed.

The tear:
2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTear.jpg

After patching:
2018-0802-Outcast-TrencherTireTearRepair.jpg

That was 5 months and many bashes ago. I do run 4S though on my outcast.

Last edited:
I treat it like patching a bicycle tube... or car tube (if you ever had non-tubeless tires in your life). I clean the tear/edge of the tear with da, then rough it up with a sanding drum on a dremel, then cut a piece of bicycle innertube large enough to cover the hole with 3-4mm beyond the hole, then I clean the patch up with DA, rough it up with the drum, then put a thin layer of ca on the the tire, then the patch and gently place the patch one while holding pressure while the glue cures. Once it's cured, I use the drum again to sand all the edges of the patch so they are smooth with the tire and don't catch on stuff.

I've done this quite a few times over the years and have yet to have the patch come off or the tear get worse.

I've never tried fixing a tear in the face of the tire, only the side walls. I guess if your really patient and bake the tire off the wheel, then do the same kind of patch from the inside, it may hold up for a while. Depending on the size of the hole your patching.

The last one I did was a sidewall tear in my proline 3.8" trenchers on my outcast when I lost it in a cartwheel and it plowed into a chain link fence. The tires went on the truck new a week or so before... I was annoyed.

The tear:

After patching:

I'm going to THIS GUY for my tire repairs!

The tear:

After patching:

I did the same with my E revo stock tire except on the face of the tire, still work well
IMG_7911.JPG

I did the same with my E revo stock tire except on the face of the tire, still work wellView attachment 27899
I know back in the day, racers would take two different tread pattern tires on the 1/10 ST's and cut them in half, then glue the halves together so they would create their own tread pattern. That was back in NiMH/brushed and nitro days... so not sure they were taking the punishment they do these days. I never saw it, just read about it many years ago.

So, your just using glue there? Any particular kind of glue? Like the rubber infused stuff or just regular CA?

I glued 4 of mine now using BSI IC-2000 glue which I'm pretty sure is the strongest stuff ever made lol and its designed for use on rubber.

Cyanoacrylate

I know back in the day, racers would take two different tread pattern tires on the 1/10 ST's and cut them in half, then glue the halves together so they would create their own tread pattern. That was back in NiMH/brushed and nitro days... so not sure they were taking the punishment they do these days. I never saw it, just read about it many years ago.

So, your just using glue there? Any particular kind of glue? Like the rubber infused stuff or just regular CA?
Learn how to do from the old day riding bicycle to school 20 year ago. Mine is quite complicated. First because I didn't seal the rim holes so lot of water got in and stuck there, I had to take them out first because glue hates water. I vented hole on face, used hair dryer. Finally the inner surface got dry. Then I used small pad of bicycle innertube like you mentioned, clean both surface with alcohol, rough them up, apply 3M super glue on both sides, put the pad inside, gently press to hold them still for like 1 day. It was a bit tricky because you cannot press them hard together LoL, it has foam inside. For glue, I can only find 3M here, the one can be used for rubber.
So this is only applied for budget limit hobbyists like me, you can simply replace them. But being able to fix things is cool.

Last edited:
Learn how to do from the old day riding bicycle to school 20 year ago. Mine is quite complicated. First because I didn't seal the rim holes so lot of water got in and stuck there, I had to take them out first because glue hates water. I vented hole on face, used hair dryer. Finally the inner surface got dry. Then I used small pad of bicycle innertube like you mentioned, clean both surface with alcohol, rough them up, apply 3M super glue on both sides, put the pad inside, gently press to hold them still for like 1 day. It was a bit tricky because you cannot press them hard together LoL, it has foam inside. For glue, I can only find 3M here, the one can be used for rubber.
So this is only applied for budget limit hobbyists like me, you can simply replace them. But being able to fix things is cool.
Yeah, going at it from the inside gives you the best repair, but getting the tire off the rim is a chore.

Update.. THE GLUE DID NOT HOLD...……..

Just pitched 2 badlands with holes in them and 1 trencher X with a hole..

Guess im buying new sets of tires ….

Im still tempted to try the shoe goo and drywall tape inside mine I'll let you know how it goes and if course balance it worth a shot not much to lose
So i said id do a update on this approach i did it on a set of backflips and have about 20 packs through them it hasn't came off yet just scuff up the rubber before you apply

Thought I'd try and at least contribute to the forum! So, I tore a 1cm gash on an essentially new Fortress on my Senton. Fu@ken spewing! The rears are pretty trashed, with a small hole in one of them. The Corona armageddon has made money tight, so I decided to have a crack at repairing them myself. Pretty basic attempt with some shock resistant super glue, but they came up awesome! The pics are after 2hrs razzing on the road, so hopefully they continue to hold up. Good times!
20200404_120124.jpg
20200404_120234.jpg
20200404_120246.jpg
20200404_120503.jpg

The tear:

After patching:

:0 im going to do that i just need a simple bike tire tube(and ruin it lmao) and superglue it over the tear? My question is the glue cracking because rubber can stretch while CA glue doesn't

:0 im going to do that i just need a simple bike tire tube(and ruin it lmao) and superglue it over the tear? My question is the glue cracking because rubber can stretch while CA glue doesn't

Might depend on how big the tear is, but mine I posted up above has held up for 2 years on 6S trucks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back