Outcast Let's talk about slipper clutch - steel pads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonUF02

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Nero
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Outcast 4s
Anyone have experience with the HR steel slipper pads? I had an issue with my Outcast 4s today. I went to tighten the slipper and I heard a pop, then the screw was loose. Seems I screwed it too tight and snapped the brass looking part off the rear of the front plate.

I opened up the diff, and found there were only 3 of 4 slipper pads present. I'm assuming the 4th one (most rear) burnt up into nothing, because I can't find a trace. Is it possible that it was assembled wrong? Also the front two pads were fused together.

When something goes wrong with my RC I look for improved solutions. I came across the HR steel slipper pad replacements. They are pretty cheap, anyone have experience and feedback?

These slipper issues seem premature, only a handful of runs on it, maybe I will contact Arrma support about some replacement parts on goodwill. It was way loose from factory, and my pinion came loose from the shaft on my first run.

You might have a 3S slipper? ??‍♂️

Did you buy this rig new?

I own the steel pads but actually never use them. They are the older hex style, not the newer castellated style.

It sounds like you snapped the front hub. You will need a new hub set.

It's not a 3s slipper, I did buy it new. It has the 8 finger pads, not the straight hex pads.

Slipper plate and hub set is in my cart now, just trying to decide metal pads or stock pads, it's only about $8 more for steel.

It's not a 3s slipper, I did buy it new. It has the 8 finger pads, not the straight hex pads.

Slipper plate and hub set is in my cart now, just trying to decide metal pads or stock pads, it's only about $8 more for steel.
Stick with the stock pads, I have the Hot Racing ones and I don't like them yiu either get too tight and pop driveshafts or too loose so it just slips.

Stick with the stock pads, I have the Hot Racing ones and I don't like them yiu either get too tight and pop driveshafts or too loose so it just slips.

Have you tried mixing maybe 2 steel and 2 of the stock?

I do find it hard to believe a whole pad may have been left out in production or just worn to dust already, but it's definitely a 4s and not a 3s setup after looking at parts diagrams between the two. Going through a warranty claim is not really worth the $20 or so to get the parts ordered now.

Last edited:
Have you tried mixing maybe 2 steel and 2 of the stock?

I do find it hard to believe a whole pad may have been left out in production or just worn to dust already, but it's definitely a 4s and not a 3s setup after looking at parts diagrams between the two. Going through a warranty claim is not really worth the $20 or so to get the parts ordered now.
No I have not.

I've seen that Arrma supplies the whole spur set both in steel and composite. Any advantages of one or the other? I also snapped my hub by over tightening. The slippers weren't lined up quite right and I just kept tightening....I'm an idiot.
Im trying to figure out whether or not to buy the new hub, or to just get the whole new thing.
Steel:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310948\
Composite:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310949

I've seen that Arrma supplies the whole spur set both in steel and composite. Any advantages of one or the other? I also snapped my hub by over tightening. The slippers weren't lined up quite right and I just kept tightening....I'm an idiot.
Im trying to figure out whether or not to buy the new hub, or to just get the whole new thing.
Steel:
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/ARA310948\
Composite:
I say steel but get it from jennys https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...bly-diff-57t-ara102692?variant=20380669837366

The steel linked from Arrma refers to steel spur gear, not the steel internal slipper pads. 4s trucks come with steel spur gear, 3s come with plastic.

Maybe you all can help me with an issue. My slipper kept coming loose so I took it apart to threadlock it. Now even with the clutch all the way tight, it spins and the truck doesn’t move much. Not sure what to do. Do I need a new slipper clutch?

Maybe you all can help me with an issue. My slipper kept coming loose so I took it apart to threadlock it. Now even with the clutch all the way tight, it spins and the truck doesn’t move much. Not sure what to do. Do I need a new slipper clutch?
You could always try hitting them up with some sandpaper to roughen up the pads a bit.

Maybe the spring seat cup came loose from the end of the plate? Happened to me when I tightened the spring too much it popped.
This is exactly what happened. I was tightening my screw and the slipper hub cap snapped off. I have a new one on the way, and I'm hoping when i get the new one installed with some thread lock, this perpetual loose slipper will stop.

Attachments

• ara310946.jpg
    ara310946.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 50
Ive always hated slippers, I really hope that they design a center diff for these.

I found a very helpful video that seems to explain the slipper issue pretty thoroughly. It seems that the slipper spring (for many in the comments as well) is a tad too wide and therefore is not able to compress fully. It basically acts as a spacer (instead of a spring) which causes many people to have slippers that loosen easily and often. Check it out!

I found a very helpful video that seems to explain the slipper issue pretty thoroughly. It seems that the slipper spring (for many in the comments as well) is a tad too wide and therefore is not able to compress fully. It basically acts as a spacer (instead of a spring) which causes many people to have slippers that loosen easily and often. Check it out!

I don't buy that. Mine has been set for six months of hard driving and not a single issue. ?‍♂️

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back