Lets talk temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LMAO yeah what a ripper that motor must’ve been!
It was on a rustler lol i had a 19t pinion i had to add a steel plate to the front to keep it down that thing was a rocket never clocked it tho didn't trust my phone on that thing being it was on its lid most of its life lol

W
Sounds like it's almost a necessary thing to put a fan on the motors for hard bashing i had the hobby star 4082 2000kv and that thing got toasty quick in the outcast now i only run the hobbystar 4092 1480kv still gets toasty after a 6s bash but with the fan it stays at 140 with fan on 4s probably 150ish on 6s
what pionion do you run on your 1480 kv?

Anyone running a hobby wing 4082 1600kv? If so what pinion are you using? I have it in my Kraton and I’m running a 21t pionion. It’s quick but it feels like the stock motor with a 16t pinion is quicker. Any thoughts? And what is the biggest pionion you can fit on the stock motor mount?

I replaced my hobby wing 4082 2000kv with the 1600kv cause it requires 160a and I dint have an ESC that powerful. I love that motor but I was overheating it not sure if it’s cause I wasn’t giving it enough amps. Had 16t on it.

I replaced my hobby wing 4082 2000kv with the 1600kv cause it requires 160a and I dint have an ESC that powerful. I love that motor but I was overheating it not sure if it’s cause I wasn’t giving it enough amps. Had 16t on it.
How hot was it getting

Have you ran that new motor yet?
Yes today not a full pack yet it was to cold. I’m running a 21t and it’s powerful but not as much as my 2000kv. I want to know how big of a pinion I could put on the stock motor mount.

Yes today not a full pack yet it was to cold. I’m running a 21t and it’s powerful but not as much as my 2000kv. I want to know how big of a pinion I could put on the stock motor mount.
I think up to a 22 watch those temps tho

Under-amperage doesn't heat a motor up... that's just not how it works. Reason that motor got hot is because it's a high kv compared to your 1600, so it made the truck faster. If you gear up that 1600 to be the same speed as your 2000, it'll have the same heat issue. If you took your 2000 and geared it down to match the speed of your 1600, it'd have the same temp.

Also, realize amperage ratings don't mean crap... someone should really make a sticky about this... none of them are accurate at all. 0. None.

Under-amperage doesn't heat a motor up... that's just not how it works. Reason that motor got hot is because it's a high kv compared to your 1600, so it made the truck faster. If you gear up that 1600 to be the same speed as your 2000, it'll have the same heat issue. If you took your 2000 and geared it down to match the speed of your 1600, it'd have the same temp.

Also, realize amperage ratings don't mean crap... someone should really make a sticky about this... none of them are accurate at all. 0. None.
That’s exactly what I thought but had to ask cause I’m no expert. I still have to test it more. I’m happy with its performance so far. Can I damage my esc by using a motor that requires more amps than the esc has to offer? I fried 1 esc with that motor and maybe almost a second. I say second cause when I turned on the car the steering turned all the way to the right and had no throttle. I believe it was flashing red light. Tried resetting tried everything and it just wouldn’t let me do anything. Then it just decided to start working

That’s exactly what I thought but had to ask cause I’m no expert. I still have to test it more. I’m happy with its performance so far. Can I damage my esc by using a motor that requires more amps than the esc has to offer? I fried 1 esc with that motor and maybe almost a second. I say second cause when I turned on the car the steering turned all the way to the right and had no throttle. I believe it was flashing red light. Tried resetting tried everything and it just wouldn’t let me do anything. Then it just decided to start working
Yes, you can fry the esc by overdrawing from it with a motor that demands too much.

The way electrics work (or specifically motors) is they draw the current they need. No less and no more. You give it gas, it's pulling amps. Whether the esc likes it or not, it's pulling the amount of amps it needs. If your esc can't handle it, it'll get hot, it'll blow up. The motor is just doing what it's supposed to. If the esc can't meet its demands, the esc is toasttt. Also it seems like that was a receiver issue.

Same goes for batteries. Say you have a motor and an esc that's fully capable of running it, but low quality batteries, the batteries are gonna get hurt. The motor will do its thing (like described in the post above) and now the esc is tasked with giving the motor the amps it's demanding. The esc draws the amps from the battery and gives them to the motor. If that motor is asking for too much amps, those batteries are gonna get hot, because like I said before, the motor does what it does and nothing else, the esc has to deliver the power, and the batteries are forced to just supply. If they can't meet the supply, they'll get hot, they'll blow up.

And the esc actually will get hotter too. This is the only situation will an under amperage system will heat the demander (esc in this case) up. If the batteries aren't capable of delivering the amps that the esc needs to power the motor, the esc will actually heat up. Reason being is the capacitors. ESC capacitors are used when a huge load is applied, they drain a little to make sure the voltage doesn't drop. If your batteries are low quality, the voltage will always be trying to drop whenever you give it gas, so the capacitors will always be working super hard, which shortens its lifespan, and gets hot.

Yes, you can fry the esc by overdrawing from it with a motor that demands too much.

The way electrics work (or specifically motors) is they draw the current they need. No less and no more. You give it gas, it's pulling amps. Whether the esc likes it or not, it's pulling the amount of amps it needs. If your esc can't handle it, it'll get hot, it'll blow up. The motor is just doing what it's supposed to. If the esc can't meet its demands, the esc is toasttt. Also it seems like that was a receiver issue.
Same goes for batteries. Say you have a motor and an esc that's fully capable of running it, but low quality batteries, the batteries are gonna get hurt. The motor will do its thing (like described in the post above) and now the esc is tasked with giving the motor the amps it's demanding. The esc draws the amps from the battery and gives them to the motor. If that motor is asking for too much amps, those batteries are gonna get hot, because like I said before, the motor does what it does and nothing else, and the batteries are forced to just supply. If they can't meet the supply, they'll get hot, they'll blow up.

And the esc actually will get hotter too. This is the only situation will an under amperage system will heat the demander (esc in this case) up. If the batteries aren't capable of delivering the amps that the esc needs to power the motor, the esc will actually heat up. Reason being is the capacitors. ESC capacitors are used when a huge load is applied, they drain a little to make sure the voltage doesn't drop. If your batteries are low quality, the voltage will always be trying to drop whenever you give it gas, so the capacitors will always be working super hard, which shortens its lifespan, and gets hot.
good to know I have 3 different sets of 6s batteries. 2 venom 3s 5000mah 50c, 2 3s 5000mah 50c gensacearespammers and a 6s hrb 50c. In terms of my receiver itseems to be fine but I will say my servo died it was the stock servo

good to know I have 3 different sets of 6s batteries. 2 venom 3s 5000mah 50c, 2 3s 5000mah 50c gensacearespammers and a 6s hrb 50c. In terms of my receiver itseems to be fine but I will say my servo died it was the stock servo
Ah your dead servo probably glitched it a bit. Good to see it fixed itself.

Those batteries all seem good, the HRB is definitely a meh but the other 4 packs are definitely good. For curiosity sake I'd take a temp reading of the esc after using each brand. Obviously some variables will skew it, but if they're all relatively close then you got all good batteries. If one set shows noticeably more heat, those batteries could be lacking.

Ah your dead servo probably glitched it a bit. Good to see it fixed itself.

Those batteries all seem good, the HRB is definitely a meh but the other 4 packs are definitely good. For curiosity sake I'd take a temp reading of the esc after using each brand. Obviously some variables will skew it, but if they're all relatively close then you got all good batteries. If one set shows noticeably more heat, those batteries could be lacking.
Will do

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back