LHS advice don’t drive in sand!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYfan2

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
Today I went to my LHS because my new brushless motor (1 week old) was jammed, it turnt out that the bearing near the driveshaft was worn out. They fixed the motor by mounting a new bearing so that’s fine but the guy told me there was a lot of sand in the motor and that caused the damage.
He advised me not to run in sand!

To me it’s strange that a bearing in a new motor wears out in a week, I drove for about 1,5 hours with the motor. So now I’m in doubt what to do because it’s impossible to drive dust free or only in a skate park. I have the motor in a Senton 4x4. Can I do anything to prevent sand in the motor/drive gears or do I have to disassemble it regularly to clean?

Best regards, Marc.

Here's a old little hack for someone that doesn't know In order to keep dirt and dust out of your motor and bearings cause it always finds its way in there so find a piece of an old thin cloth or fabric i used a sheet for the bed and electrical tape so what you do is tape the screw holes in the motor your not going to use and also if your can has an exposed rear bearing apply tape to cover that as well then cut a rectangular piece of cloth and poke a hole through it i used my little hex driver not to big though so it fits tight over the shaft then spray a light coat of light oil of your choice on the cloth so the dust sticks to it and doesn't go past the cloth works great you also don't have to use any oil still works very good dryView attachment 31428View attachment 31429View attachment 31430View attachment 31431 been doing it got a long while bearings still look new if you have any questions let me know. Side note not my original idea i found others using foam from old tires but i personally think that's way too bulky so i found cloth works very well

I'm doing the same thing, I saw your post awhile back and it seems to be working. How often do you change the cloth?

I'm doing the same thing, I saw your post awhile back and it seems to be working. How often do you change the cloth?
Whenever it gets loose around the shaft but i haven't had any issues with mine getting loose or too dirty for your liking.
Ps no dirty minds allowed lol

Can also use old tire foam, just poke the shaft through the foam vs cloth. Read a lot of posts on the traxxas forums with guys doing that as the the slash runners spend a lot of time on tracks and in dirt.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back